Rangefinders

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Any one here own a rangefinder that they really like? I have been reading and reseaching for a couple weeks now about them. I have friends that really like the leupold kind. What's you guys thoughts???

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Any one here own a rangefinder that they really like? I have been reading and reseaching for a couple weeks now about them. I have friends that really like the leupold kind. What's you guys thoughts???

I got this one:

http://www.nikonhunting.com/rangefinders-riflehunter-riflehunter-550.html

I like it because it has the I.D. technology, but ranges out to 550. I've found it to be fairly accurate. It will hardly read distances under 10 yards, but heck at that range, use your top pin!

One button operation, fast, clear optic. Like mine.

When I bought mine, cabelas.com had them the cheapest. That was last year.

I use a Swarovski 8x30 range finder that doubles as a minocular.Out to 150 yards I can score a buck on the hoof.

I think to choose a rangefinder it depends on where you hunt.If you are hunting in an area that your shots are 1 to 200 yards I would go with the lowest end Nikon made,I think they make great optics and for short distances I see no need to break the bank.

If you travel alot and have to do alot of glassing like out West I would have to say go for pure quality and get a rangefinder/bino combo like the Leica combo.I have used my friends in New Mexico and think they are well worth the money.He has had them for about 5 years with no problems

Guest Jcochran88
Just curious. Why would you pay $271 for the Nikon RifleHunter 550 when the Nikon ProStaff 550 is $195? The specs appear to be pretty much the same.

:dirty:

The prostaff doesn't have the angle calculator like the rifle hunter does.

Guest walkingdeadman

See, now this is why I can't stop coming to this site. Great people with great answers that are always willing to help. Thanks guys.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I have the bushnell Chuck Adams edition. does ARC (angle range compensation - just like Nikon's ID technology) out to 99 yards. from 100-600 yards it can accurately range a deer sized object, from 600-800 yards it can accurately range a highly reflective object like a barn. I of course bought it for long range barn season and have been very successful at harvesting old tobacco barns.

In all seriousness, I bought this specifically for bow hunting and it does a very find job of that. Especially on hilly terrain where a 35 yard line of site shot from a tree stand could actually be a 30 yard shot. It works very well for typical TN rifle hunting where many shots are 100-200 yards.

one thing for sure though, it does NOT work in heavy fog. simple as that. Not even for short distances.

I got this one:

RifleHunter 550 | RIFLEHUNTER | RANGEFINDERS

I like it because it has the I.D. technology, but ranges out to 550. I've found it to be fairly accurate. It will hardly read distances under 10 yards, but heck at that range, use your top pin!

One button operation, fast, clear optic. Like mine.

When I bought mine, cabelas.com had them the cheapest. That was last year.

I have the same one. looked at all of them before I bought.

Guest BigJ45

I have had 10 or 12 different ones over the years from early Bushnells to the latest Leupolds and the only rangefinder I will ever own from now on is Leica. You put the reticle on something and push the button it gives you the range everytime. If it doesn't, it is too far to be of any concern anyway.

Guest Jcochran88
I have had 10 or 12 different ones over the years from early Bushnells to the latest Leupolds and the only rangefinder I will ever own from now on is Leica. You put the reticle on something and push the button it gives you the range everytime. If it doesn't, it is too far to be of any concern anyway.

How does it work in fog or rain? According to the reviews on Cabelas it don't.

Guest BigJ45

I have used it on foggy mornings and if I could see it it would range it. Never used it in hard rain but I will try it here at the house the next time it rains which will be soon I'm sure.

Guest Jcochran88
I have used it on foggy mornings and if I could see it it would range it. Never used it in hard rain but I will try it here at the house the next time it rains which will be soon I'm sure.

thanks I have been looking at the Leica and swarovski I just don't want to spend a grand on a range finder. but I guess you get what you pay for.

• 2 months later...
Guest mossyoakman

ive got a bushnell that ive had for like ten years but it hasnt worked for like 9 lol. i just never sent it back lol.