A Former SEAL and good friend...

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

A Former SEAL and good friend of mine is auctioning off a long gun on GB. He was my brother's roommate in Virginia beach. My brother and I both agreed that if we had a sister, we would let him date her...

He's wanting an LWRC REPR and is selling his near as new bolt gun to fund the quest.

Remington Model 700 - .308 : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Normally, I would not endorse or advertise an auction, but the guy is first class and the gun is first rate (I've seen it, but not shot it). Here is what he has to say about this rifle:

"First, this rifle has more similarities than differences vs an 'issue' rifle, especially in terms of trigger pull and ballistic performance. The gunsmith who performed the work was experienced in tactical police rifle gunsmithing, so I knew that the rifle's performance would be up to par with what I saw in my military experience.

Compared to a military version from the early to mid 90's, there are a couple of differences between his particular rifle and the model typically employed back then by a platoon sniper. First, and foremost, is with the optics. Again, typically speaking, you would probably see a Mk IV on a sniper's 700 - which is not to say there weren't more exotic optics employed for different situations / shots. When this particular rifle was purchased, a Mk IV wasn't in the budget, but I still went with a solid quality Leupold. As you will note from the listing, I did have Mil-Dots installed recently by Leupold, which gives what you see in the viewfinder something closer to what you might see in an 'issue' Mk IV with Mil-Dots.

Lastly, I would say that there was an entire level of small detailed customization that you would have seen with a platoon sniper's 700. Most likely a different McMillan-type stock (usually with many different layers of paint - depending on where the operator had been deployed - something closer to the McMillan A-2 or A-3), slightly different trigger assembly, etc.

I actually believe that this rifle offers a great opportunity for a purchaser to buy a really accurate rifle, with excellent optics - and they can then make a few minor tweaks to tune it to their personal 'fit'. I will say that this trigger group is not for the faint of heart. You should be aware that when you get settled in, and move your finger inside the trigger guard, be ready for what comes next... Which is just the way I like it..."

So, if anyone is looking for a first-rate rifle from a first-rate seller, this would be the one. I would purchase it myself, had I an inclination and ability to add to my trove.

If any member of the Forum bids and wins the rifle, I will be more than willing to personally pick up and deliver same to them.

GHC

PS, don't "gee I would if I had the $" on this thread. That is really annoying, here and in the for sale section of this forum.

Edited by gcrookston
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
Or a "gee nothing like a non-benefactor pimping an item for sale for a friend who isn't a benefactor - or even a member of TGO."? :D

Buddy, you better know my story before you say this. I donated to this site before there were benefactors and have been a moderator. I'm helping a friend to sell his gun, if you have a problem with that we can address it.

David? Chime in any time.

Edited by gcrookston

Glenn's a stand up guy and former mod here. His C&R knowledge alone is a contribution I'd pay benefactor status for. Anyway, glad you're back Glenn and that is a nice rifle.

BTW I think TDR was just trying to get his post count back over 5k.:D

Well, as I said it a previous post, I was just busting chops. I didn't intend for my comment to be taken seriously. I figured the ":p" would be a dead giveaway. My bad.

I think yours got tainted with the other guys.:)

Guest gcrookston

Now that I'm back among the the living in TN, Anyone have TGO's David address to send him another donation? If I'm going to busting balls here, I figure I need to be supporting this site once again... ;0

Guest clownsdd

"Or a "gee nothing like a non-benefactor pimping an item for sale for a friend who isn't a benefactor - or even a member of TGO"

"A Former SEAL"....he's paid his dues and your's also....I don't see any problem.

Edited by clownsdd
Guest gcrookston
"Or a "gee nothing like a non-benefactor pimping an item for sale for a friend who isn't a benefactor - or even a member of TGO"

"A Former SEAL"....he's paid his dues and your's also....I don't see any problem.

My brother, a "former SEAL", his Partner "a former SEAL" and the guy selling the gun "A former SEAL" are all planning a shoot when it gets warmer in NC. I'm the friggin' gun nut of this quadrant and am expected to bring the most coolest toys, namely suppressors. Google my brother by "Currie Crookston". :)

The guy selling this gun played a part in the Somalia Incident that led to the movie "Black Hawk Down". As I said, he could date my sister. One thoroughly substantial individual.

I wish I had the wherewithal to buy this rifle outright. I currently do not. He's a great guy and the rifle is as advertised.

Bid on his rifle.

Glen

Edited by gcrookston
Guest clownsdd
My brother, a "former SEAL", his Partner "a former SEAL" and the guy selling the gun "A former SEAL" are all planning a shoot when it gets warmer in NC. I'm the friggin' gun nut of this quadrant and am expected to bring the most coolest toys, namely suppressors. Google my brother by "Currie Crookston". :)

The guy selling this gun played a part in the Somalia Incident that led to the movie "Black Hawk Down". As I said, he could date my sister. One thoroughly substantial individual.

Bid on his rifle.

Glen

got your back, just can't afford anymore weapons at the present time. Have told several of my buddies about it. Good Luck

Guest gcrookston
:)

If you hadn't made me drink the coolaid and made me reread your's and mine's post, I could have been angry. Instead, I laughed. Snorted beer right out my nose. Okay, Now I'm pissed, not at you, just the computer monitor, with beer and snot all over it.... :D:D:D

Still, what is TGO David's Address? I really need to rejoin this mayhem. I've missed you guys.

Edited by gcrookston

Tennessee Gun Owners

Traditional Forms Of Payment:

Thos who do not wish to use PayPal to make an online payment may send a cashier's check or money order made payable to The Ronin Group to the following mailing address.

The Ronin Group

Post Office Box 2664

Smyrna, TN 37167

Be sure to include your forum screen name as the memo on the check, or written on a note inserted with your payment. This is important to ensure that we credit the appropriate forum account for the payment!

I can also give you his home address but I wont tell you which bush has the binoculars in them :whistle:
Guest gcrookston
Gcrook,

What would you pay for this rifle?

I don't know (and haven't asked), what his reserve is. I would Believe, with bipod and case that this rifle should fetch about $1,600-1,900. Andy is meticulous with his weapons, it will be a good buy for someone. The guy that customized his rifle also did one of my Savages, back when I was living in NC. First class work.

I've teased him about not shooting it enough. The gun is near as new as one can get. Were I in the market for another bolt gun, this one is the one I'd take home.

The trigger work that was done on it, as he states, is near unbelievable. The scope is an excellent piece of glass. If he is pricing it realistically, it should bring close to what it would cost to put it together, about $1,600-1,900.

I only brought this to the forum member's attention because 1. Andy is a heckuva guy and 2. this is one helluva rifle.

Edited by gcrookston
My brother, a "former SEAL", Google my brother by "Currie Crookston". :dirty:

Glen

Man, I dont know Glen....

I googled, and all I got was the fact that your brother was a Navy deckhand, kicked out of the Navy for stealing MP5 magazines out of the supply room.

In fact, google even claims that he doesnt know how to swim!

:P