Carry at University?

Guest RGL01

Easy. I carry a pocket knife so I can open up boxes etc at work. Happens, oh at least twice a year ;) If I carried a knife so that I would be able to defend myself if attacked, that would be intent to go armed.

And for the record, I am only partially kidding. I do indeed use my knife to cut the straps on boxes of paper, and when we get in new server racks etc, gets old breaking down all the boxes, packing material etc by hand.

Wow, it's been almost two years, had to go back to find context of your response.

Anyway, yeah, that should be a defense to carrying a 4" or less knife on school property in TN. But it won't be.

- OS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I keep my firearm in my vehicle when I go to schools. I usually unload and put in the trunk before entering the school property when there for work related activities. I do carry a pocket knife, which is just a little key chain Gerber knife. I never have given the knife much thought since I don't carry it as a weapon/intent to go armed.

Guest profgunner

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property.

(a) As used in this section, "weapon of like kind" includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.

(:cool: (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (:) is a Class E felony.

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

Guest profgunner
The key distinction above is (;) has "intent to go armed" and © doesn't.

I would agree. Common sense would lead one to unload the weapon and stash the ammo in a separate compartment before parking your vehicle on school property. But this raises another issue that may have already been addressed in this forum - what about parents dropping their kids off at school without they themselves exiting the vehicle? Is this addressed specifically in the statutes?

Well, I just went back and looked and there seems to be a lot of room for interpretation. Whether or not a charge sticks would probably be determined by lawyers and that's almost never a good thing.

I jumped into this thread rather late so sorry if I'm just rehashing things that have already been discussed.

-Steve

Edited by profgunner
clarification
The key distinction above is (:) has "intent to go armed" and © doesn't.
I would agree. Common sense would lead one to unload the weapon and stash the ammo in a separate compartment before parking your vehicle on school property.

Note that it doesn't mention HCP in the statute, so either 1) its intent is that the gun may be in non-student adult's car in the only legal way the particular person may carry it, either unloaded for non-permit holder or loaded for permit holder or 2) unloaded for everyone since it's the only way a non-HCP holder may have it and HCP is not mentioned. Typically gray, and no AG opinion or case law that we know of.

But this raises another issue that may have already been addressed in this forum - what about parents dropping their kids off at school without they themselves exiting the vehicle? Is this addressed specifically in the statutes?

Yes, see next statute, 39-17-1310. Affirmative defense to carrying weapons on school property.

It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under § 39-17-1309(a)-(d) that the person's behavior was in strict compliance with the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications:

(4) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle.

- OS

Guest Risky Ruger
Ridiculousness, campus is where I spend most of my time and the place where I am most likely to need to defend myself. This law is so counterproductive. I guess I'll have to just hope that if anything happens I'll be close enough to get some stabs in with my knife or far enough away that I can run and escape.

I have an idea....since we stop patronizing public locations who ban guns, lets stop attending higher education colleges too. Sorry, sarcasm leaks out of me sometimes. LOL

I have an idea....since we stop patronizing public locations who ban guns, lets stop attending higher education colleges too. Sorry, sarcasm leaks out of me sometimes. LOL

The real question is how many of us have called our Legislators and requested they change carry laws involving schools for adults? Very few would be my guess.

The reason they won't change the law, is because we won't force them to.. or elect somebody who will change the law.

There should be an exception in the law for those with handgun carry permits just like right now there is an exception for school shooting teams, hunters, and people going to a gun show at a school. We have passed a background check when hunters, shooting teams, do not.

Guest profgunner
The real question is how many of us have called our Legislators and requested they change carry laws involving schools for adults? Very few would be my guess.

The reason they won't change the law, is because we won't force them to.. or elect somebody who will change the law.

I have contacted Bill Ketron and Rick Womick about this. I feel as if I should be able to carry on campus. If one of those students (or professors) at Virginia Tech had been armed, fewer innocent people would have died that day.

-Steve

Edited by profgunner
Guest profgunner

I want to invite any of you who are students at MTSU to contact me. I'm always happy to talk with fellow gun enthusiasts! Before becoming a professor, I worked as a biologist for the Florida Game and Fish Commission in Pensacola. Shoot me an email if you are interested in a career in wildlife or fisheries biology and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.-Steve

Edited by profgunner
Guest TNcumminsGUY

We should at least be able to leave them in our cars, I have to remember to take mine out of the truck everyday before I head to school. Also after being jumped by four guys at my "colorful" high school , I don't trust school security

Guest Catfish36

When I was researching for my speech on this subject last semester, I interviewed 3 security guards. The first one appeared to have some authority there, and he was absolutly against anyone being allowed to carry on campus. He explained to me that PSTCC does not allow the security officers to carry either, even though they are qualified by the state to carry on school property. He felt the "average citizen" was not trained enough to be able to handle a gun in a "crowded school situation". I informed him that if he saw me in a crowded Walmart he could rest assured I was carrying..I asked why he felt the State believed I was competent in Walmart, but when I crossed the school border I was completely untrustworthy (deemed so by the same state that gave me the permit in the first place)? He replied something to the effect of "there is not 3000 people in walmart" (as if I was surrounded by 3000 people at any moment on the school campus.)

I asked him what his response time would be if an inncedent like VT happned? He said "we can be anywhere on campus in ten minutes"....His secretary was sitting listening to the entire conversation. I looked down at her and said.."I wonder if she will mind if I stabbed her with a knife for 10 minutes until you could get there to stop me,,,since you don't believe she has the right to defend herself"...he didnt have much to say after that..