first gun glock 23

Guest joey615

Guest joey615

Well ok i finally got approved for my new handgun a glock 23 and i got too shoot it yesterday and im not gonna lie its has quite a kick too it! im a pretty big guy and i have to admit its really powerful! maybe ive should have bought the glock 19 but oh well guess i have to get used to it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the 40 S&W and the Glocks are good pistols for it. Got to give it to the Glocks for reliablity and durability, good accuracy too.

Have much fun with your new G23, shoot it as much as possiible and I believe you will come to like it alot.

Edited by DWARREN123
Guest joey615

to be honest with all of you, i really havent shot too many guns in my life. maybe thats why its so powerful i guess. but i really dont wanna tell you guys how my day went a the range. out of a box of 50 bullets i think i only hit the target 8 times and 50 yards. i really need some lession's.

i think i only hit the target 8 times and 50 yards. i really need some lession's.

^theres gotta be a typo in there somewhere...like 8 times OUT OF 50 ROUNDS or 8 times AT 50 yards. If its the latter, I don't know what to tell you, doubt many people have tried to shoot their pistol 50yards. As Bob Lee Swagger would say "thats a far piece" (for a pistol). Concentrate on 3 yards, then see how you do.

Guest joey615

maybe it was 50 feet whatever its was at the indoor shooting range at gun city in nashville. but how many feet or yards it was i only hit it 8 times out of 50 rounds. i know i suck!

Yeah if your shooting at 50 yrds ..... well, get a little close like 45 yards closer!:koolaid: as far as the polls go i don't think i have ever gone with the consensus of one of the polls I've done! Go figure. I would suggest the LW conversion barrel, especially if the recoil is a little much for you ATM. You can pick up some of the Korean G19 mags for cheap and they work.

maybe it was 50 feet whatever its was at the indoor shooting range at gun city in nashville. but how many feet or yards it was i only hit it 8 times out of 50 rounds. i know i suck!

Gun City's is still a little far for decent practice. I would also suggest for your safety and sanity don't go to the dungeon again. The last time I was there I had to quit because I was getting showered with the other guys bullet jackets and concrete! That place is just dangerous. Guns and Leather or even ASP in Joelton will be much more enjoyable.:koolaid:

Guest joey615

hahaha so true my first exprience at the gun city shooting range was downstairs in like a dungeon type atmosphere. too tell you the truth i was pretty shaky at first. for a first timer it was kinda scary loading the magazine with 4 other guns going off and shell casing flyiung everywhere!

Guest bkelm18

You'll get used to things. We all started where you're at. As far as practice, just start close, then work your way out. I forget the exact statistic, but it's something like most self defense shootings happen within 7 yards or something like that. Focus on your short distances for now, then work your way up to 50 ft, or yards. :drool:

I'd look into taking the Basic Handgun safety course, it would help you tremendously. Check one of your local shops, they probably teach it there. It would help you get started off on the right foot. It's alot easier to learn the correct grip, stance, sight etc starting out than trying to correct bad habits later.

Guest cheez

I have several guns and have had dozens more but if I had to hit the woods with one pistol it would be the Glock 23. You made a good choice.

When you fire the Glock begin by taking up the slack in the trigger and hold it there. Line up the sights and squeeze off the round. You can practice this with an unloaded pistol aiming at something small and watching. I drove my wife nuts when I got my first Glock. I would dry fire it several hundred times every night while watching tv. Now I can hit what I want to pretty much at will.

• Administrator

It sounds to me that you need to work on the basics of sight alignment and trigger control. It is easy for someone to describe the mechanics of this on the Internet (or in a book) but it's often difficult for a person to read and process it. A person with good mastery of the fundamental mechanics and an instructor's heart will be able to help you get your shots on paper without much problem.

Keep in mind that not all competent shooters make good instructors. Some folks can't teach. :leaving:

The basics are simple:

1. Line up your sights

2. Squeeze the trigger (don't pull it) while keeping the sights lined up. Smooth, controlled follow through.

It doesn't matter if the target is 10 feet or 100 feet away from you. If you do these two things, the only difficulty in hitting the target is what's going on between your ears.

Joey, if you are in the Boro, go shoot at On Target. It's the closest to you. It's also cheaper than Gun City. As far as your distance, start small. Take baby steps. Start relatively close 10 ft if there's no challenge, run it out to 15 then 20 and so on. That'll help you build your skill and confidence(sp?), both of which are very important. Once the weather gets nice, you can go down Hwy 840 and shoot at the CH gun range in Spring Hill for $40 for the rest of the year. Don't get discouraged. Practice makes perfect or so they say. I'm far from perfect and I've been practicing for a while. Stay safe, stay with it, and you'll be fine.

Joey,

Since I feel partially responsible for you choosing the Glock 23 heres what I will do. If you want to take a training class I will give you a discount on our handgun permit class. I have been teaching that class longer then anyone in this state. Its set up for novices and I'll make a point to give you one on one instruction with your new firearm. Since I have been carrying/training with the Glock 23 for most of my "carry life" I'll teach you the ins and outs of the gun. I'll even let you shoot mine thats set up with several modifications. I am also a 15 year certified Glock factory armorer and can teach you everything about your gun while your in class.

Now for a little FYI on barrel conversions going from 40 down to 9mm. Simply put it will eventually mess up your gun. Its not just swapping out the barrel and mag. The breach face is different and so is the ejector, guide rod spring, and extractor. Doing this will also void your Glock warranty. Thus the reason Glock wont sell you a 9mm barrel if they know thats what your going to do. Glock only recommends the conversion too and from 40-357sig. Now all that being said, I know customers that went ahead and did the 9mm swap, and the gun ran for a while... but then parts started breaking.

I'd leave it alone and get professional lessons. Its just like getting your first high performance car of 4x4 truck, your going to need some help getting the most out of it.

Anyway just an FYI... :leaving:

• Administrator
btw.. anyone else want a Glock 23 we got in a bunch of LE trades, they are 2 year old Generation 3's with night sights, extra mag, and light rail.

$485.00 out the door, price includes tax and tics.... :leaving:

Not to be confused with the elusive Gen 3's without light rails!

;)

Joey,

Since I feel partially responsible for you choosing the Glock 23 heres what I will do. If you want to take a training class I will give you a discount on our handgun permit class. I have been teaching that class longer then anyone in this state. Its set up for novices and I'll make a point to give you one on one instruction with your new firearm. Since I have been carrying/training with the Glock 23 for most of my "carry life" I'll teach you the ins and outs of the gun. I'll even let you shoot mine thats set up with several modifications. I am also a 15 year certified Glock factory armorer and can teach you everything about your gun while your in class.

Now for a little FYI on barrel conversions going from 40 down to 9mm. Simply put it will eventually mess up your gun. Its not just swapping out the barrel and mag. The breach face is different and so is the ejector, guide rod spring, and extractor. Doing this will also void your Glock warranty. Thus the reason Glock wont sell you a 9mm barrel if they know thats what your going to do. Glock only recommends the conversion too and from 40-357sig. Now all that being said, I know customers that went ahead and did the 9mm swap, and the gun ran for a while... but then parts started breaking.

I'd leave it alone and get professional lessons. Its just like getting your first high performance car of 4x4 truck, your going to need some help getting the most out of it.

Anyway just an FYI... :whistle:

Great offer Phillip,very nice. Joey, I'd take him up on this even if you aren't going to get your Hand Gun Carry Permit. You could learn a lot.