Bobcat!

Guest Redneckgizmo

Guest Redneckgizmo

2.jpg1.jpg

I was hunting in south Giles co. Saturday February 20th we got there about 9:30am & sat up n a small foodplot inbetween a pine thicket & some hardwoods. I'd been calling about 5 mins or so when she came walking in from my left @ about 12yrds. She stopped about 5 yrds into the open & sat down & watched my decoy. Just as she started to stand up & walk towards it is when I shot her she jumped straight up into the air & fell dead. I shot her with a .223 AR with Winchester 50gr. Silver ballistic tip ammo. I was using my foxpro game call & a decoy similiar to the weasal ball decoy that I've seen discussed on here. After I shot the cat I kept calling & had a coyote come n on my right not 2 mins. After the cat but my hunting partner missed the yote what a shame that would have been a sweet double!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redneckgizmo, that is a nice bobcat.

I shot one a couple years ago with a 20 gauge shotgun and slug at about 30 - 35 yards. I was deer hunting in a real thick pack of woods, where a slug was perfect, and he walked out in the logging road. He dropped immediately and stiffened his legs. It was a small cat very young.

Anyways, Good Job!

Guest BEARMAN
I am just curious as to why you hunt bobcats? Are they a nuisance out that way?

Tennessee has no shortage of Bobcats, I'll assure you.

Especially since trapping has become somewhat of a non-profitable venture.

Last deer season, I had a pair come be-bopping off the hill behind me...let em walk though...It wasn't what I was after on opening day of deer season.

Guest Redneckgizmo

Thanks guys!

Kahrman, nice cat the mount looks great I took this cat to my taxidermist & told him o mount it however he wanted too.

Bearman, my favorite deer hunting farm is covered up with bobcats & yote's too I plan on going again in the morning behind my house @ first light & then after I get my daughter off to school I'm gona try to hunt most of the day!

Guest malv1
they are out every way. Why ask such a question?

I asked because I am not from TN. I am a yankee and in MI I don't think very many hunt bobcat either because they are not really a nuisance or because they aren't there. I wasn't sure which applied in TN.

That and I kinda like them and am not sure I like em being shot :)

Guest BEARMAN
I asked because I am not from TN. I am a yankee

Kinda says alot right there in your first sentence...you are not from Tennessee.

And they are legal to hunt, in season...as are Foxes, Coyotes, Groundhogs, Rabbits, Squirrels, Beavers, Raccoon, Nutria, Crows, Ducks, Deer, Bear, Turkey, Elk, Geese, Quail, Woodcock, Dove, Feral hogs...etc. etc.

Which of these do you object to being hunted??? Or do you just have a soft spot for the Bobcat?

They are a major player in the destruction of our small fur bearers and game birds, as well as the farmers livestock. FWIW

Your logic sir, sounds quite like that of an animal rights activist. IMHO

+1 Im not a hippie tree hugger and to each their own, but I do think Bobcats are quite beautiful and to lump them in the same category as yotes or feral hogs is pretty stupid imho However that being said as long as its legal hunt as you please you will see no sign bearing from me.

Kinda says alot right there in your first sentence...you are not from Tennessee.

And they are legal to hunt, in season...as are Foxes, Coyotes, Groundhogs, Rabbits, Squirrels, Beavers, Raccoon, Nutria, Crows, Ducks, Deer, Bear, Turkey, Elk, Geese, Quail, Woodcock, Dove, Feral hogs...etc. etc.

Which of these do you object to being hunted??? Or do you just have a soft spot for the Bobcat?

They are a major player in the destruction of our small fur bearers and game birds, as well as the farmers livestock. FWIW

Your logic sir, sounds quite like that of an animal rights activist. IMHO

That is where I am coming from. This is a hunting sub-forum of a Gun Forum. I am sure there are members of TGO that do not agree with hunting, and they do no visit this forum due to that reason. I am not into Class 3 weapons, hence therefore I do not post in that area. (Reason I am not into it, is because I am too broke and dumb on the topic)

The state of Tennessee have authorized a season to hunt this animal for a predetermined reason. The animal was harvested legally. Asking why he did this sounds like a "set-up" question.

However learning that you are not from Tennessee, I could see where the confusion would come from in hearing about a person harvesting a Bobcat.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Edited by memphismason
Guest BEARMAN
+1 Im not a hippie tree hugger and to each their own, but I do think Bobcats are quite beautiful and to lump them in the same category as yotes or feral hogs is pretty stupid imho However that being said as long as its legal hunt as you please you will see no sign bearing from me.

They are beautiful animals...especially running away with a farmers hen in his mouth, don't you think MCR???

I don't hear you guys banging the drum for the beautiful Fox...Coyotes are as beautiful as a Bobcat IMO...why aren't you guys "boarding the bus" for their hides also...I'll tell you why, because you've been misled about science based wildlife management, all your frigging lives. You guys want to "cherry pick" which animals you choose to protect, based on what a varmint looks like, and not what educated wildlife Biologist deem is necessary to keep the population in check...so that the prey species can also have a chance at life.

And for that, you want to call me "pretty stupid" huh??? :)

Bearman, I think you being a little over the top. I too think bobcats, foxes, and even some yotes are beuatiful creatures but i'll still hunt them and shoot every yote i see. My families in the cattle buisness, so i fully understand. Even lost some dogs to preditors. Thinking they are beautiful creations and hunting are not mutually exusive sentiments.

Edited by Smith
Guest BEARMAN
Bearman, I think you being a little over the top. I too think bobcats, foxes, and even some yotes are beuatiful creatures but i'll still hunt them and shoot every yote i see. My families in the cattle buisness, so i fully understand. Even lost some dogs to preditors. Thinking they are beautiful creations and hunting are not mutually exusive sentiments.

NEXT!!!......:)

nothing uncivil. :) I'm not offended or upset with anyone. Folks who don't hunt or haven't been around it sometimes don't understand hunting or hunters and sometimes folks who aren't around non hunters forget they have a hard time getting it.