Rossi .357 Mag

I was in the Clinton Pawn shop today looking at their pistola's in the pistola case, and I noticed a gently used Rossi .357 mag, blued, 4" barrel, 6 shot for $275.00 I did not get the model # but apparently they were purchased from a security company whom either upgrades or downsized their artillery. There were no visible markings on the wheel that you normally see from a pistol that has been fired quite alot so appears they haven't seen much action. Anybody else seen those there and what about that price? I thought it would be a good range gun....what say ye?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the Clinton Pawn shop today looking at their pistola's in the pistola case, and I noticed a gently used Rossi .357 mag, blued, 4" barrel, 6 shot for $275.00 I did not get the model # but apparently they were purchased from a security company whom either upgrades or downsized their artillery. There were no visible markings on the wheel that you normally see from a pistol that has been fired quite alot so appears they haven't seen much action. Anybody else seen those there and what about that price? I thought it would be a good range gun....what say ye?

I have a Rossi .357 Mag snub nose and love it. I've had mine 4 or so years and have put over 1000 rounds through it. In my opinion, the one you are looking at might be priced a bit high. Academy Sports has the Stainless Steel Rossi .357 Mag Snub Nose for $299.00 NIB.

Guest 10mm4me

I had one that was given to me. It was good for about a year then it would go out of time when firing double action. It is alright I guess for the range, but no way I would ever carry one.

I have the (Braztech) Rossi .357 stainless snub that belonged to my late father in law. My grandfather in law has a Ruger SP101. Just for the heck of it, I compared them 'side-by-side' one day, with the idea of finding out just how much better the Ruger is.

I fired both with .357 Magnum rounds. Felt recoil was about the same. Not using a scale, the weight felt about the same (the Rossi is a six shot while the Ruger is a five-shot but the Ruger is built like a tank and so is quite heavy.) Accuracy, in my hands, was the same. To my surprise, however, I liked shooting the Rossi better. The little Ruger dumped hot gases and debris out the cylinder gap onto my hands. Not enough to be unbearable but enough to certainly be uncomfortable. The Rossi did not dump hot gases, etc. on me - and never has. The Rossi factory grips also fit my hands better.

The Ruger would outlast the Rossi with constant, heavy use. For occasional use, however, I believe the Rossi would hold up just fine and, because of the reasons listed above (grips, no hot gases dumped on my hands), I'd prefer shooting the Rossi. There, I said it.

I would and have carried the Rossi, although infrequently. I do often carry my five-shot Rossi .38 snub and (obviously) trust it.

Edited by JAB

I have a Rossi 851 which is a 38 cal version of the same handgun. I also bought it from S. Clinton pawn shop. They had a half dozen and also said they had obtained them from a security co. that upgraded. I paid $200 for it and have probably put 100 rounds through it and really like it. I actually fired it last night @ ORSA. I leave it in my car and figure if something happens to the gun or the car and the gun I haven't lost an $800 handgun. For the purpose to me it was a good purchase.

Guest RangeMstr
I had one that was given to me. It was good for about a year then it would go out of time when firing double action. It is alright I guess for the range, but no way I would ever carry one.

My experience exactly. I briefly owned a Rossi .38 snubby too. It had a nasty habit of freezing up entirely about 30 rounds into a qualification work out. Seemed like it heat swelled enough to bind at the yoke.

Definitely NOT a SHTF gun.

Guest jmpapex

Got one of those Rossi's in a .357...love it and it is loud. I got it at Academy for 299.00...stainless/chrome plated? Would'nt carry with a permit, but fun to shoot and has been very reliable.

I don't own one, but i have friends that have them. They are happy with them. I have shot a few and they all functioned as expected. The last Rossi i shot was a 8", .357 mag. I shot it loaded with .38 spl. There was no muzzle rise. The 8" barrel and .38spl made for a accurate combo.