Experienced opinions requested.

res308

I am thinking of converting over to the AK platform for my "go to" equipment. I do like the simplicity and reliability of the platform, but mostly I like the terminal performance of the round better than the .223/5.56. The latter round has never thrilled me that much. That said, I am thinking about swapping out to the AK.

Again, this is not a "For Sale, For Trade" ad. I have already cleared this with management. If, after gathering some opinions, I decide to go through with this, I'll post it in the Traders Post according to the rules. This is only a request for information at this point. I'll first list what I have, then I'd like some information on good AK's.

So, here's what I have: Sabre Defense 16" M4 upper, chrome lined, T-marked flat top, post front sight, MaTech flip rear sight. I have a spare bolt, firing pin, trigger, and hammer with it. Built on a Sun Devil milled lower with RRA internals, 6 position stock, Magpul MIAD grip, Blackhawk single point sling on Brownell's attachment plate. 20 or so 30 round mags (10 of those are Brownell's mags, the rest G.I.). I have a little over 1300 or so rounds with it - 500 Wolf fmj, the rest XM193 with a few HP and SP thrown in. O.D. green rifle bag with mag pouches on side. Now, what value do ya'll think I should possibly put on this, as far as trade value?

Alright, I need some good, quality, objective opinions on good quality AK's. The vast majority of AK's run cheaper than this rifle, so, rest assured, I won't jump on some "Bubba Inc. AK with a bent barrel and half a receiver for trade" offer. My dream rifle is an Arsenal Bulgarian, or better yet, an Arsenal or Saiga built by Jim Fuller, but I realize those are kind of out of reach right now. I used to own a Saiga. Loved it, wish I could have kept it - circumstances, circumstances. I'd really love to run across someone who, perhaps, had a Saiga or MAK90 or NHM90 for trade, with maybe a WASR folder in good shape thrown in for a truck gun. I'd also be needing to swap out mags and ammo.

Why don't some of you more experienced folks, preferably those of you with a few more years under your belt, give me some good objective advice on this situation? Do you think I should list it for trade? Or, do you think I should just leave that idea alone and work with what I have?

Edited by res308
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should convert to 6.8SPC personally or even 6.5Grendel, IMO the AR is a far superior platform in all aspects except for running it EXTREMELY dirty. By that I mean to the point of any logical person would call it abusing your rifle.

for me the AK is too loose for me to like it. and the fact that everytime I ask on here about a high-end AK no one has anything to say except get a converted saiga.

That's unfortunate. A converted Saiga done right is a very good rifle. But, if you're curious about high-end AK's, check out Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics, Arizona or Nevada I believe. Or Red Jacket Firearms. All those are pricey though. I don't know whether any of the vendors on here sell them or not.

You are on the right track. A converted Saiga would be fine, Arsenal is selling them for between 5-7 hundred dollers. Now some more options for you. If I were you I'd keep the AR and buy an AK, that would be otion one. ( i am a gun whore and the more i have the happier i am even if i don't get to shoot them often ) Option 2 is sell your upper and buy a 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel upper. If you are not into the whole direct impengment thing, then buy one with a gas piston and live happily everafter.

I agree with the group here. I have owned cheap AK's and nice ones. Just traded off a Arsenal Tactical. I really like being able to hit what I am aiming at, where I am aiming. A really high end AK is like having a fancy dog house. May be nice but kind of unnecessary. If you want 30 caliber power, save up for a M1A. If you want to economize keep the AR and just get a cheaper AK. I have never tried the 6.8 or the 6.5 but until they take off more in popularity I don't want to invest a lot of money in them. Now the 458 SOCOM is something I may have to play with someday but that is because of a personal interest in big bores but that is a different subject.

One other caveat, accessories don't add a lot of value in trades or private sales. It is never easy to recover money spent on aftermarket accessories so keep anything that you will or can use on the AR platform so you would not have to repurchase if you trade your AR off....you will be back.

I've had 4 AR's and several Saiga converted AK's and i keep coming back to the AK. Sell the AR and accessories separate. It is easier to get the most out of what you have unbundled. The majority of high end AK's out there are owned by people who aren't going to part with them, so finding a trade that will be even will be difficult. Have Will at Red Jacket convert a Saiga clone for you and it will come in under $700 for a AK103 clone. He did my first one and it was awesome. Or you can save a little and do the basic conversion and have him do the finish and front end work.

Bottom line is there are a lot of options and for A+ quality (AR or AK) things are going to equal out as far as dollar amount go. Sounds like you know what you need to know so just decide what YOU want and then get it done. :screwy:

As a newbie on TGO, I'll give my 2 cents .........

Some prefer AKs others ARs ......... I prefer ARs myself.

I have owned a few different ARs and I purchased each one for a particular purpose.

The nice thing with ARs is that you can build what you want, mix and match or sell the upper and go to another caliber. Like you, I wanted a bit more of a "BoomStick" than the standard .223 and recently picked up the .458 SOCOM ............ which is an awesome round up to 200 yds.

I'm looking at the 6.5G or 6.8 SPC as my next build which will give me a solid hunting caliber as well as extending my shooting distance but keeping the .223/5.56 as well for less expensive plinking.

I also can't say enough about using a well made, drop-in, .22LR conversion kit. I chose the Stainless CMMG .22LR conversion kit and have had excellent success with it so far. In fact, I like it so much that rather than buying a dedicated AR style .22LR - I just keep it installed in one of my older 16" ARs. For $200.00, it gives me the option of some fun (yet very inexpensive) plinking with my kids yet I can simply convert it back to a .223/5.56, or throw on another upper in a variety of calibers at any time and it only takes a few seconds.

The other reason I love ARs would be the many caliber options you have by just swapping out the upper. This option brings the AR owner a lot more bang for the buck (IMO). You can save some $$ by using a single lower with multiple uppers in a mix of brands and calibers or just keep it simple, spend a bit more and have a mix of complete rifles ......... the option is all yours. Many of the popular calibers can also utilize the standard .223/5.56 Magazine - such as the .458 SOCOM.

Looking at the many offerings of .450, .458, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC all the way down to a .22LR conversion (not to mention the reloading potential for each caliber) it makes pretty good sense for me to stick with the AR platform and just swap out uppers as my wants/needs change or other calibers are introduced.

You may be dead set on the AK ............ just wanted to give you another opinion.

Edited by FIRERESCUEO2