Thinking about buying a used car...

Guest cowboy20th

Guest cowboy20th

So I have some money saved and would like to buy a newer car without financing. Right now I have an 01 mazda 626, which is a POS. I really want an 06 mazda 6 w/ manual transmission. These cars have really good reviews and seem to be quite popular making parts cheaper etc. However, it appears that the prices on these cars are out of control. The price of an 06 is almost the same as the price of an 08 or 09, which is all out of my range.

So are these prices normal for these cars, or am I just looking in all the wrong places? If anyone is in the used car industry or knows more about it than me please feel free to leave some advice. This is my first car I am purchasing entirely on my own so I will take all the advice I can get. Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not priced these cars but a neighbor of mine has a 6 with a manual and loves it. I have owned 4 Mazdas and have always found them to be under-rated compared with the other Japanese brands. They usually handle better, have equal quality, and are a good value. We have a Cadillac CTS and a Subaru Outback (LL Bean w/ the 6) now and I was just telling my wife the other day how much more they cost to maintain than the Mazdas we had.

Get in touch with Magicarpetrides. He is a dealer in Knoxville and will deal straight with you. Although I haven't bought a vehicle off him, I know several who have and say nothing but good things about him.

Guest cowboy20th

I am not stuck on the 6, but I have yet to find something of comparable quality, style, and price. Also, I want a manual that will be fun to drive and the 6 is a fun manual to drive. If anyone has any suggestions for something else let me know and I will consider it.

I can't address the Mazda or the referenced dealer but I can tell you that when we purchased my wife's CRV we started out looked at a late model used certified car at a local Honda dealer. To get to the point I ended up buying a new one from another dealer for slightly less than dealer #1 wanted for the certified car. Don't know if that info is of any value to your sitution but I guess my point is that it's really difficult to determine a value for a used vehicle but at the same time purchasing one is smart in that it doesn't lose value instantly due to new car depreciation.

Good Luck

Guest Caveman

The problem is used car prices are much different now than they were due to the "cash for clunkers" program. Every car that was traded in for a new car was destroyed. The motors were blown and they were sent to be scrapped. Now that there are hundreds of thousands of used cars off the road it has changed the used car market.

Guest 1817ak47
The problem is used car prices are much different now than they were due to the "cash for clunkers" program. Every car that was traded in for a new car was destroyed. The motors were blown and they were sent to be scrapped. Now that there are hundreds of thousands of used cars off the road it has changed the used car market.
that cash 4 clunkker mainly removed the suvs, large truck and small truck. and maybe a few gas guzzling passenger cars. not saying it didn't affect things, but not that much I don't think as far as smaller cars.

Thank you Obamanomics! :D

Hundreds of thousands of perfectly good used cars - that were already built so by default (As long as they run halfway decent) are *better* for the environment than building another NEW car... But that doesn't boost the American debt machine, so Obama couldn't have any of that, could he?

One of my cars is an '03 Mazda Milenia. Been a good car, but now over1 140k on the clock, the maintenance is starting to add up and makes me wonder if something a bit newer would be better after doing all of the math.

I think trying to focus on just *that* care you are looking for is going to make your quest considerably more difficult, so I'd suggest broadening your search to two, maybe 3 models you wouldn't mind driving.

Just don't lose sight that it's only a CAR... and it is a depreciating asset at that. Getting you from point A to point B is the primary objective - everything else is just "how fluffy do you want your pillow" :koolaid:

Just don't lose sight that it's only a CAR...

Wrong

for some people, a car is much more than just a means of transportation, in a way its like for many on here a gun in general is not just a means of self-defense, if so everybody would just have ugly glocks, it is a beautiful piece of machinery(guns).

if you think a car is just a means of transportation, just ask a guy with a Chevrolet bowtie tattooed on his arm why he doesnt drive a Ford.

Guest Caveman
that cash 4 clunkker mainly removed the suvs, large truck and small truck. and maybe a few gas guzzling passenger cars. not saying it didn't affect things, but not that much I don't think as far as smaller cars.

I believe plenty of smaller cars were traded during this program. Regardless though, it still effects the used car market as a whole.

Guest 1817ak47
I believe plenty of smaller cars were traded during this program. Regardless though, it still effects the used car market as a whole.

smaller cars no, even a 80's ford full size aka ltd/crown vic mercury marquis sedan wasn't eligible. I think the cars had to be rated at like 18 mpg or less to get that credit, the smaller cars that people might have traded weren't eligible and weren't destroyed. this just shows the trend of how everyone wanted to get larger vehicles. the only effect this had was less older gas guzzlers that are on the road.

Guest Caveman
smaller cars no, even a 80's ford full size aka ltd/crown vic mercury marquis sedan wasn't eligible. I think the cars had to be rated at like 18 mpg or less to get that credit, the smaller cars that people might have traded weren't eligible and weren't destroyed. this just shows the trend of how everyone wanted to get larger vehicles. the only effect this had was less older gas guzzlers that are on the road.

You are not correct. There was no requirement on the size of the vehicle. My brother's company created the website for the program. My brother coded the website and I know for a fact small cars were just as eligible as the rest of them. The only stipulation on size was for category 3 work trucks.

Guest 1817ak47

what I said was what was reported by the media which could very well have been incorrect. I knew someone who hada 88 or so merc full size sedan and supposedly they couldn't get credit for it.

Guest Caveman
what ia said was what was reported by the media which could very well have been incorrect

Yeah, we all know how accurate those monkeys are...

So are these prices normal for these cars, or am I just looking in all the wrong places?

No, I think it's the area. I've been looking around K-town for a back-up car and I can't believe what people are asking for their :poop::poop: cars. People asking $1,000 for a 20 year old car with a blown engine, bad tranny, or wrecked and then saying it's an easy fix. My favorite is the ad that says, "I don't have a title and don't ask me to get it." I saw a Rover like mine with a blown engine and they wanted $4000!!! :D Sorry, had to rant. :chill: Anyhow, I say look at Autotrader or ebay. You may have to drive a few miles to find a deal. smiley-vault-misc-012.gif

Wrong

Mmmmm... ok :D

for some people, a car is much more than just a means of transportation.
They are free to retain whatever silly rationalizations and justifications but a car is still just a car :chill:
if you think a car is just a means of transportation, just ask a guy with a Chevrolet bowtie tattooed on his arm why he doesnt drive a Ford.
Other than for pure humor, why on earth would I bother myself with picking on someone silly enough to permanently mark their flesh with something as arbitrary as an automobile logo? :poop:

I'm pretty sure that bowtie is the equivalent of a fluorescent road sign to the effect of "CAUTION: Irrationally biased opinion ahead" :P

But seriously folks...

I said "a car is just a car" for the purpose of keeping the car buying choices perspective. It's all well and good to have preferences, but blind emblem aliegance can cloud your vision and get in the way of you making logical and economically sound decisions.

The OP isn't looking to invest in a show car, or a collector vehicle - he's looking for daily transportation... Just keep that in mind :D

Back on topic.... If you specifically want a manual transmission, pickings will be pretty slim. People that wanted a stick specifically sought out a stick (likely had to order it) and don't sell them.

However, I have a friend with a MazdaSpeed6 (6-spd, AWD turbo) who might be willing to part with it. They're excellent cars.

You said you want a 6speed four door car that is fun to drive. Well, IMHO my Dad's Honda Civic Si 07 4 door is one fun car to drive and it handles really well. The 6 six speed is short throw factory and it has a factory shift lift built in also. Its reasonably priced new around $23900 for my dad's. Used I've seen some real good deals on them.

I just bought a car off of Magiccarpetrides and got a great deal this past weekend.Drove from South Carolina to get it.

I also work for a auto auction when I am not Soldiering. He had what I wanted. First class service.