Tennessee Dept of Corrections

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Tomorrow I am calling TDOC to schedule an interview for employment as a Correctional Officer. From what I gather on the tn.gov site, you interview, you pass the interview, then you are sent for training. Has anyone on here ever worked for the TDOC and if so what are the physical requirements for it? Being a heavier guy I have a feeling my weight is gonna keep me from getting the job (all the more reason to do something about it) but this is what I am really wanting to do as far as work goes and won't stop if I happen to be turned down the first time. I applied last year with the Metro Davidson County Sheriff's for the same position but wound up scoring too low on a written test they give.

Any input is appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow I am calling TDOC to schedule an interview for employment as a Correctional Officer. From what I gather on the tn.gov site, you interview, you pass the interview, then you are sent for training. Has anyone on here ever worked for the TDOC and if so what are the physical requirements for it? Being a heavier guy I have a feeling my weight is gonna keep me from getting the job (all the more reason to do something about it) but this is what I am really wanting to do as far as work goes and won't stop if I happen to be turned down the first time. I applied last year with the Metro Davidson County Sheriff's for the same position but wound up scoring too low on a written test they give.

Any input is appreciated.

I have no idea how big you are, but I make regular deliveries to a prison in Only, TN (Turney Center), and if some of those TDOC folks were able to pass, you'll likely do just fine.

I've seen more than a few hefty men and women around there. I've also seen a few that appeard so frail, I'd be surprised if they could fight themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Guest benchpresspower
I have no idea how big you are, but I make regular deliveries to a prison in Only, TN (Turney Center), and if some of those TDOC folks were able to pass, you'll likely do just fine.

I've seen more than a few hefty men and women around there. I've also seen a few that appeard so frail, I'd be surprised if they could fight themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Thanks, that does help put my mind at ease a little. As far as being big, well I'm not so big I can't take two steps without being winded but I can't run a marathon either.

TDOC has crazy high turnover and major retention problems. To help relieve this, their physical and academic requirements have been relaxed substantially in recent years.

If you're hired (and you'll probably be hired), it's my understanding that you'll train at a prison for a few weeks or until a new class starts at the Tennessee Correction Academy in Tullahoma. While there, I am told there are few, if any, standardized physical training tasks - it's more of a "do as much as you can do" guideline on the running and stuff. There will also be a few days of firearms training and a fair amount of unarmed defensive tactics work.

Good luck to you !!

Guest G-Pa Glynn

When you make it to the academy in Tullahoma, send me a message and I will have you over for dinner one night. Always look forward to meeting TGO members. We might get some range time also.

You will have no problem making it.

Edited by G-Pa Glynn
added

Not sure how factual the information is, but according to the TDOC officers I've talked to, they are the lowest paid correction officers in the country.

I can honestly say that I don't recall meeting a single one who was truly happy with their job. Playing politics appears to be one of the biggest complaints - next to crappy pay.

Not sure how factual the information is, but according to the TDOC officers I've talked to, they are the lowest paid correction officers in the country.

I can honestly say that I don't recall meeting a single one who was truly happy with their job. Playing politics appears to be one of the biggest complaints - next to crappy pay.

+1. I work with a couple former Davidson Co Sheriffs dept and they said you are far better off going with the Sheriffs Dept. Much higher pay and the work is much better. TDOC is very low pay and very hard on the psyche, I'm told. The bad part of the DCSD is that is can be very political.

Guest benchpresspower
When you make it to the academy in Tullahoma, send me a message and I will have you over for dinner one night. Always look forward to meeting TGO members. We might get some range time also.

You will have no problem making it.

Will do :shrug:

Guest davidz71

For years it has been "weight must be proportionate to height" and if considered to be overweight then you were given 6 months to get the weight off. That is no longer the case. You must pass a hearing test as well as other physical tests. You must also pass a psychological test MMPI.

The morning PT is no longer done as it has been for several years although there are some stretching exercises prior to most of the defensive tactics classes. There is a 1.5 mile run, crunches and pushups at the end of week one but they don't kick you out if it takes you 20 minutes to run it. There are 13 hrs. of firearms training before qualifying, including a written firearms test. There are also tests at the end of week 3 and week 6. I'm sure the training coordinator at the institution you are hired to work for will let you know a few more details. Training is for 6 weeks and your probation period is 9 months.