new blaster

Guest Mugster

Guest Mugster

Picked up a new sigarms revolution XO down at hero gear, Joe held me down and Eddie beat me until I bought it. ;)

I've been waffling back and forth on several models of 1911 to add to my limited pistol collection, and actually went to seriously look at an RIA tactical but scored this instead:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=25&productid=126

Its a bit different than some 1911's, but the sigs get good reviews especially for accuracy. Plus there's no guide rod or goofy external attachment points, which is something I like. The control's don't stick out as far as some 1911's but are still pretty functional, which I prefer. It's solid stainless steel, but coated with some grey looking finish, which I also prefer. Trigger is less than 5 pounds but more than 2.5, with a hint of creep. Fit and finish are about what you'd expect for the price point i think, if you like the "military look" on your firearm. Vote is still out on the grips.

Great customer service, and a very good selection of 1911's for sale down there.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bazookazilla

the grips are not very pretty but we cannot see what they feel like. I have a Sig 229 and a Kimber 1911. I have thought about looking into a Sig 1911 because of reliability. My Sig has over 2000 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions. My Kimber has about the same number of rounds through it and has had a countless number of malfunctions. I know I am not comparing apples to apples, but the huge disparity has made me go "hmmmm?". Most of the problems I have had with the Kimber I feel I can blame on being not properly broken in (at first) and later on using crappy reloaded ammunition at the range. But I shoot the same cheap ammunition at the range through my Sig and I have never had a problem.

Guest Mugster

The grips have a very rough finish, i'm not sure how to describe it. Its almost like an exaggerated sandpaper. I think my girlie-man hands might take a beating unless they wear down a little. I believe they are made for handling with gloves.

If you are open-minded about which 1911 is the right pistol, the sig grows on you like kudzu. :)

It was great having you in the store again John.

Glad we could FINALLY find something you liked ;)

* You should send that quote to Sig and see if they want to use it in their next ad campaign.

Guest Mugster

Nitron, with the black plastic grips.

I cleaned it last night. It is fitted very tight. I've heard some stories that they are fitted so tight, some won't feed very well...and i can believe it. Might take a long break in if i got unlucky. I don't mind if it is as accurate as a custom bullseye pistol which they are supposed to be.

Guest Mugster

Well, I shot the sig. I went to on-target and bought a month's worth of range time. Bring the new year in right and all that jazz.

Overall, I give it 4 out of 5 mugs. :up:

Positives:

1. Tested 4 magazine types, they all work.

2. Trigger and balance, loved it. The flat top...doesn't bother me.

3. Liked the grips. Ran 100ish rounds through it, 90ish without gloves and tried 2 mags of 5 with gloves on. Girlie man hands survived.

4. Tried CCI blazer brass ball, couple kinds of hollow points and it all fed, more or less.

5. Like the controls.

6. Loved the automatic "come hither" target hangers and the switches. I ran the target in and out a few times, light came on when the target was coming to me. Felt kind of like 'dirty harry' in the movies. I think the guy next to me got nervous over the maniacle laughter. You can take a boy out of the country...

7. Lets face it, its a secsi pistol.

Negatives:

1. I was in a strange environment for the first time, having never fired indoors. Didn't get comfortable until i was done...so i wasn't shooting well. I don't fully trust other shooters on a strange range, having seen alot of odd behavior on ranges over the years, so i kept an eye on everyone.

2. Impossible to fire seated from a bench. Didn't try supported from the ledge on the lane door, I guess you call it. Fired mostly one handed standing.

3. Had 2 failures to feed (both CCI ball), both jams on the ramp. Interestingly, 2 rhythm fire strings of 5 ea went fine. I guess i was pushing the range rules. Sic. I also cleared my own pistol when no one was looking. From the rules, this is technically not allowed I guess.

4. Don't like the sights. I like the triple dot concept on patridge sights, but there is excessive gap between the edge of the front sight blade and the start of the inner U-notch of the rear sight, imo. This gap is larger than any other pistol i've fired. Perhaps i'll get used to it, I dunno. I seemingly had 2 different POI's, however. Part of the problem was lack of focus on the front sight I think, stemming from the aforementioned 'dirty harry new range effect'. It takes me awhile to adapt to change when it comes to shooting.

5. Cut my thumb taking the bushing out for cleaning. This sucker is tight. The slide was a bit looser after cleaning. I need to find my bushing wrench, which i've never actually used before.

6. 19 pound recoil spring. Now there's a potential ding in the drywall waiting to happen.

As a footnote, I carried it for quite awhile in my m7 shoulder rig to see how it would ride. The fat slide kinda jams in there, but it carried fine. The sig might stretch the leather a bit if its left in there alot. Might have to get a nylon rig for it.

I plan no immediate mods until i've got some number of rounds through it. What that round count might be, I dunno. Top on the list right now is a reduced power recoil spring and possibly sights.