Gun Show Find

So I see this nice hunting rifle with an 1903 action at the Murfreesboro Gun Show. Typical 60s /70s conversion, but a good one. This was done by a gunsmith who knew what he was doing. Good looking wood and still with a deep and shinny blue job on the reciever and hunting weight barrel. I go to check the SN and what do I find.

The offset Remington name along with the offset SN. :D

Yup - - - A real deal 1903A4 Sniper.

Well..., at least it started off that way. :screwy:

For a second or two I wondered how much to convert it back..., but I realized it would never be the same. So I put it down and backed away.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

Reminds me of my first German sniper rifle purchase. A bnz42 with runic S, sporterized. It was a claw mount with a dow+, all matching #, including scope/rings/base, sitting in a monte-carlo american walnut stock with 3" of the barrel and barrel bands missing. I paid about $300 about 1988 and spent about $250 putting it to right again with another 1942 bnz all matching donor sniper rifle stock and irons.

But remember, these were worth nothing in the late 1940's, imported in the 50's and 60's for less than $100.00...

Same with 03a4's. In context, they had minimal value during their time. A pre-ban Chinese SKS is a good comparison.

Pick the guns today that are going to be worth 10x cost in 60 years. Go on, I have. I pick SKS Chinese, Russian and Romanian, even Yugo. Everyone one we butcher today increases the value of the survivors tomorrow...

Edited by gcrookston

Was that on the same table as the A4 clone ?? down near the back wall where it got kind of dark near C.I.S. table ?

if it was that's kind of ironic isn't it... a real deal next to a clone,.. glad I didn't see the A4

All I need is the 330 scope and rings and my A4 is back to spec.

Then there was the $800.00 A5 scope further down

John

P.S. the oddest find for me was the 3 boxes of factory .44 AMP at $85.00 a box

• 4 weeks later...
Guest HvyMtl

Hmm. Really? $800? Ah, no. I wonder how much it would be worth in original condition...

I am just cursing myself for not taking that M44 Mosin still wrapped up for $190...

Sigh.

Edited by HvyMtl
Hmm. Really? $800? Ah, no. I wonder how much it would be worth in original condition...

I am just cursing myself for not taking that M44 Mosin still wrapped up for $190...

Sigh.

wow!! I bought one still in the crate for 60.00 not more than 2 years ago...:)

I can't find one on gunbroker for less than 200.00 now.

wow!! I bought one still in the crate for 60.00 not more than 2 years ago...:P

I can't find one on gunbroker for less than 200.00 now.

Same here. Only I sold mine to a friend for cost thinking I could pick up another one if the mood hit me. ;)

Guest gcrookston
Yeah the m44's are about impossible to find. I don't know any of the dealers that have any right now.

why would you want one? get up on GB and there are many for sale for those that thought they wanted one. C&R doesn't always include historical curiosity. Unless it's a Vietnam bringback, I doubt these will be remembered as anything more than a footnote of one of the most obnoxious shooting rifles ever produced in mass