Range report

I went out to my "redneck shooting range" today, aka, my back yard, and shot both my xd9 service and my xd40sc. I got two questions:

1: I had my first FTF in the xd9, I've had it for several months and have probably put around 500-750 rounds thru her without any FTFire until today. I'm using the same ammo that I usually use, Winchester target. I also had a FTFire in my xd40, two actually. I've only put about 100 rounds thru her as of today, just got it a couple weeks ago. It's pretty cold out today, could that have something to do with it?

2: My next question is on accuracy. I am left handed, and from about 10 yds, I am consistantly hitting high and right with both guns pretty much. That tells me it's probably me, any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out to my "redneck shooting range" today, aka, my back yard, and shot both my xd9 service and my xd40sc. I got two questions:

1: I had my first FTF in the xd9, I've had it for several months and have probably put around 500-750 rounds thru her without any FTFire until today. I'm using the same ammo that I usually use, Winchester target. I also had a FTFire in my xd40, two actually. I've only put about 100 rounds thru her as of today, just got it a couple weeks ago. It's pretty cold out today, could that have something to do with it?

2: My next question is on accuracy. I am left handed, and from about 10 yds, I am consistantly hitting high and right with both guns pretty much. That tells me it's probably me, any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure on #1. I had my first failure this weekend at an indoor range. But I suspect a dirty mag since it only did it with one mag out of 3, consistently.

On #2, are you hitting high and right, but in a tight group? If your grouping is good and consistent, it's sight picture. You may either not be getting a straight on sight picture, or you may need your sights adjusted.

Also, be sure you're using your dominant eye to shoot. Most people think their shooting hand and dominant eye are the same, but this is not always true. If you don't know how to determine, here it goes:

1. Extend your arms in front of you with your palms facing away.
  2. Bring your hands together, forming a small hole by crossing the thumbs and fore fingers.
  3. Choose a small object about 15-20 feet away from you. With both eyes open, focus on the object as you look through the small hole.
  4. Close one eye and then the other. When you close one eye, the object will be stationary. When you close the other eye, the object should disappear from the hole or jump to one side.
  5. If the object does not move when you cover one eye, then that eye is dominant. The eye that sees the object and does not move is the dominant eye.

Source: Dominant Eye - Eye Dominance - Determine Your Dominant Eye

I'm pretty anal about cleaning my guns, so I don't think that's it...

hmmm... in that case, I'd bet it's a mag issue. I'd try numbering your mags so you can tell them apart, then see if one in particular is causing the problem.

I've had 4 different XD's, and never had a malfunction with any of them, regardless of ammo type. pretty rare for an XD to have feeding issues...

sorry to hear you're having trouble with yours...

Ftf meaning failure to feed, or a failure to go off? Different issues with different answers... "Ftfire" has me wondering exactly what you mean.

As far as your accuracy hitting high and to the right, I'd doubt it's your sight picture... I'd say grip and trigger control, I don't know what to say without knowing what your support hand is doing but I'd guess it's part that, then I'd guess you're not pulling the trigger totally straight back, and then there's your stance...

Don't mess with your sights until you're solid with those 3 elements, lightweight striker fired guns like Glocks and XD's amplify problems that heavier hammer-fired guns may cover up.

Edited by CK1

I don't know how high you're shooting. I have an XD .45 ACP service model.

I remember reading the manual and it stating that the gun was designed to use the "lollipop" method of sighting in on your target. That's not what I'm used to doing, so at first I was shooting a little higher than I meant to; I was placing the center white dot right on the target instead of just beneath it.

If you were doing the same it might explain the high placement of your rounds.

Edited by jjp
Well, I stopped by my local gun store to pick up some ammo this afternoon and he corrected my grip. I was taught the cup and saucer grip in my HCP course, and he showed me a new grip, he said nobody uses the cup and saucer any more. I can't wait to get out this weekend and try out my new grip!

Nice. Figuring out, and then getting used to, which takes a bit of time, a "proper" modern thumbs-forward grip was a milestone for me and my shooting. Fixes so much.

Here's a great example of a good grip at 1 min 30 seconds in (I must've watched this and a vid with Todd Jarett 100 times while I was working on mine), might help:YouTube - Milspecmonkey.com Shotshow 2007 Glock

Let us know how it goes.