Night sight and dominant eye

sigmtnman

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone noticed where night sights caused your dominant eye to change when dark? Normally which ever hand holds the gun, the associated eye becomes dominant. With night sights though it causes my left eye to grab the focus with both hands. :drama:

Not true. Your dominant eye is your dominant eye. You should be looking at your sights and shooting with both eyes open... sounds like you aren't.

Here's a helpful vid:

No, I shoot with both eyes open. It's just that for whatever reason which ever hand I hold the gun with, that eye becomes dominant. Except with the night sights.

Wow. Very strange.

Sounds like your "dominant" eye really isn't that much stronger than the other eye. It's not that uncommon. I've read that you can train one eye to be dominant by wearing a patch on your shooting glasses over your non-dominant eye, but still keeping both eyes open.

Sounds like your "dominant" eye really isn't that much stronger than the other eye. It's not that uncommon. I've read that you can train one eye to be dominant by wearing a patch on your shooting glasses over your non-dominant eye, but still keeping both eyes open.

It's called "blue-taping", as in, sticking a strip of opaque blue tape (regular old clear scotch tape works fine too, just stick it on a black piece of clothing then pull it off and put it on the glasses, the lint will cloud the tape) over your non-dominant eye so when you keep both eyes open it's much easier...

Thanks for the suggestion; I am happy with how my eyes function though. I am used to it, so I just go with it. I was practicing drawing and sighting in the dark for the first time and was just surprised that the left eye took over, regardless of which hand I used.

You could also switch the front sight for a different color one. I'm considering doing that because I have to raise the muzzle after I draw so that I'm positive where my front sight is in the dark. I've also read alot about "Big Dot" front sights which also seem like a good idea. I'm also curious if you unknowingly rotate your head to the right causing your honker to get in the way of your dominant eye's line of sight.

It's called "blue-taping", as in, sticking a strip of opaque blue tape (regular old clear scotch tape works fine too, just stick it on a black piece of clothing then pull it off and put it on the glasses, the lint will cloud the tape) over your non-dominant eye so when you keep both eyes open it's much easier...

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have to do something like this or close my left eye when shooting. I have been told I need to learn to shoot left handed when shooting shotguns. I can't seem to get used to that. I still do pretty good shooting clays, still have to keep my left eye closed.

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have to do something like this or close my left eye when shooting. I have been told I need to learn to shoot left handed when shooting shotguns. I can't seem to get used to that. I still do pretty good shooting clays, still have to keep my left eye closed.

I read an article where Dave Sevigny said he's cross-eye-dominent, when asked about it he flatly said cross-dominence doesn't matter as long as you teach yourself to hold the gun more in front of the dominent eye... Seems to work pretty well for him.

I'm the opposite, left handed and right eye dominant though the dominance isn't real strong. I learned to shoot right handed. I try to practice shooting with both eyes open, but have trouble with it. I also have a slight astigmatism in my left eye, so I see better out of the right one anyway.

You could also switch the front sight for a different color one. I'm considering doing that because I have to raise the muzzle after I draw so that I'm positive where my front sight is in the dark. I've also read alot about "Big Dot" front sights which also seem like a good idea. I'm also curious if you unknowingly rotate your head to the right causing your honker to get in the way of your dominant eye's line of sight.

I originally thought it was the sights, but it does the same thing with one I have with orange rear and green front. No I am not rotating my head.

Guest buzz cut

Left eye domianant myself. Shoot a rifle or shotgun left handed but a pistol right handed and use my left eye. Just have to bring the gun over a little further to the left. I can shoot with my right eye as well but if it's a relex reaction the right eye always closes. I just rack it up to being warped all the way around:D