AK accuracy better with russian steel cased than with American brass

turkeydad

Took my Maadi Ak&PC9 to Farnsworth yesterday to fine tune my scope on AK and R/G/B dot on Ruger. . . indoor 25 yard range so no russian steel cased ammo. . I noticed I got better groups when shooting out doors with wolf than when indoors with American Eagle.

Anybody else with AK's experienced this?

Isnt there a slight diff in bullet diameter?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just say you had a bad day at an indoor range personally. I've been to Farnsworth and can say thier lighting isn't something to brag home about. Hell, the store aint nothing to brag about. Just some good ole' country folks running the local stop-n-shoot. Most people miss it and usually can't find it anyways.....:rofl:

Still, it's been proven that good american brass ammo is usually more accurate than steel surplus. I'd say it has something to do with tighter tollerances here in the states......I've seen it happen with SKS's, AK's and 1 AR.

Please note I've also seen a shooter "outshoot" the the competition and their brass cased stuff as well.......anythings possible. :hyper:

Guest 1817ak47
I always thought that AK and accuracy was a contradiction in terms...

to some extent maybe, butthere are different variations and different countries etc of both ammo and the guns and obvious differences in quality too. in the mak-90 I am selling, I could hit within a couple of inches at 100+yds when shooting into hte backstop and orange pieces of clay pigeons and that was with ok vision on the metal sights. but the mak-90 is one of the better if not best build mass produced ak's in other peoples opinions

to some extent maybe, butthere are different variations and different countries etc of both ammo and the guns and obvious differences in quality too. in the mak-90 I am selling, I could hit within a couple of inches at 100+yds when shooting into hte backstop and orange pieces of clay pigeons and that was with ok vision on the metal sights. but the mak-90 is one of the better if not best build mass produced ak's in other peoples opinions

That last part in bold, you didn't sound so confident in that statment. You said "in other peoples opinion"....not yours. A MAK-90 may or may not be better than another type AK, maybe not. I don't see any shootability difference in the MAK-90 vs. my WASR. Bet they both shoot about the same, function the same and look the same. I know it's supposed to be quility vs. quanity but in many cases, if it's built like an AK...more than likley it'll preform like an AK....:shrug:

Guest 1817ak47

the reason I said that is because that is what i have read from the ak experts. I am no expert and have only owned one for about a month. If I said I knew it was then someone would have a reason to say I am wrong. personally I really like it, even though it is sligthly heavier than others, I think that makes it feel a little more solid that some of the others I have held but not shot. I believe the mak-90 had a slightly heavier barrel, and it has a 1.6 mil thickness reciever vs the typical 1.0 thickness that most stamped ak's have. and milled ones have been know to cracked from what has been said, but likely from extremes and abuse in the field