So I email Ruger's customer service...

Guest clsutton21

Guest clsutton21

I tell them that the recoil spring is too stiff on my SR9, that it's really hard to actually pull the slide back and I end up with sore hands no matter what. This is what I get:

Response:

Please try a technique we teach here, hold firearm in right hand, now point firearm to the left. Hold slide with left hand (thumb and forefinger) do not let go or move slide just hold in a firm position. Now with the pocket of your right hand push frame to cycle, this seems to be much easier way of cycling.

Anybody have a real suggestion?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the method they described (which is a valid method), or the slingshot method for racking the slide do not work for you... it may be time to look at a different pistol, honestly. Ease of racking the slide is not a good reason to go messing with the recoil spring tension... that could detrimentally affect operation or reliability.

Guest jackdm3

Their sarcasm is unreal! They're also assuming you're right-handed. The only thing I would think of (since I haven't seen yours) is the technique of using the sharp edge of a table/bench or partition. But you'll mar the finish and maybe destroy your foot while everybodyelse thinks you're nuts and a loose cannon.

To be fair... the SR-9 does have one of the more difficult to rack slides I have felt, especially on a full-size pistol... especially because there isn't much room to grip it. This is why I am suggesting it might not be the right pistol for you, especially if it is intended for personal defense.

Guest clsutton21
To be fair... the SR-9 does have one of the more difficult to rack slides I have felt, especially on a full-size pistol... especially because there isn't much room to grip it. This is why I am suggesting it might not be the right pistol for you, especially if it is intended for personal defense.

Exactly. I've done searches and have found that it does have one of the most difficult slides to rack... I'm just glad that most of the people here have nothing better to do with their time than wait around for a post like mine.

I feel so inferior to them now...their master plan worked!

Their sarcasm is unreal! They're also assuming you're right-handed. The only thing I would think of (since I haven't seen yours) is the technique of using the sharp edge of a table/bench or partition. But you'll mar the finish and maybe destroy your foot while everybodyelse thinks you're nuts and a loose cannon.

What sarcasm? Ruger suggested a valid method (which I often use). I agree with MolonLabeTN on everything. Changing around recoil springs can lead to malfunctions. If it is a serious problem then the gun just isnt for you.

Guest clsutton21
seriously,

do you notice any binding in the spring?

none at all. I really can't tell if it really is me being weak, or an overly stiff spring. I've googled it and it seems like I'm not the only one that complains about it.

Guest jackdm3

Another technique: Both arms fully extended, locked and pointed downward. Left hand on rear of slide and push the right or pull the left. It's a bit easier than cross-arming it. I have another method, but I'm not gonna get flamed for it here.

Sling shotting the slide can be more difficult. If I am having trouble racking one. I reverse the grip with my week hand and push the gun in a more oblique angle across the body rather than away from the body. The action is kinda like what this guy does at about 30 seconds. By the way, I have no idea what the rest of the video is about, so if it is crappy, please don't flame me over it.

it may be the holster you may need to put your gun in your holster and take the holster to the gun shop and trade it in for a nicer holster, a real nice empty holster will do you just as much good as the gun you cant function.

Guest clsutton21
it may be the holster you may need to put your gun in your holster and take the holster to the gun shop and trade it in for a nicer holster, a real nice empty holster will do you just as much good as the gun you cant function.

Wow! Such an intelligent comment! I'll get on that right away. I never said I couldn't rack it, I said it was difficult. Go check out first grade...I hear they teach you how to read.

I'd take it to a gunsmith to have a lighter spring installed...well, actually, I'd do it myself, but I don't know if you're comfortable with that. Designers tend to over-build those things for vasrious reasons, but in a 1911 at least you can decrease the recoil spring strength somewhat without problems. Anyhow, let the gunsmith decide what's appropriate.

Wow! Such an intelligent comment! I'll get on that right away. I never said I couldn't rack it, I said it was difficult. Go check out first grade...I hear they teach you how to read.

just an oppinion you dont have to take it, man calm down everybody on here gives each other a hard time its just expected.:dirty: but seriously a lighter spring if yours is good, will possibly cause problems with your gun, if your spring in your gun isnt good then the problem could be corrected by replacing it with a factory weight spring.