Bill would allow fish tanks in TN barber shops

analog_kidd

I didn't realize this was such a problem that it had to be legislated.:tinfoil:

Bill would allow fish tanks in TN barber shops Knoxville News Sentinel

NASHVILLE - Barber shop owners in Tennessee could have fish tanks in their establishments under a measure making waves in the Legislature.

The proposal sponsored by Democratic Rep. Ty Cobb of Columbia passed the House Health and Human Resources Committee on a voice vote today and is now waiting to be scheduled for a full House vote.

Cobb acknowledged after its passage that he didn't expect the bill to be so popular, as it's quickly become an amusing topic on Capitol Hill and media outlets.

"While this bill is funny to some of us, it's important ... to people who are in that occupation," Cobb said.

He proposed the measure after a constituent who owns a barber shop with a built-in fish tank told him she was asked to drain the aquarium following a state inspection and told she could only have fake animals in it.

Under current law, "no animals, birds or fish" are permitted in barber shops, except in the case of animals to help disabled individuals.

Christopher Garrett, spokesman for the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, said the department reminded legislators that an amendment that broadly allowed fish might inadvertently reverse a separate ban on fish pedicures - the practice where small fish nibble off dead skin - which has been outlawed by a number of states.

Cobb's bill specifies that fish would be allowed in barber shops only for "decorative purposes." Garrett said his department will enforce whatever legislation becomes law.

Lori Corbin, Cobb's constituent, said she mainly wants the fish for decoration and to entertain children who come to her shop in Mt. Pleasant.

"The kids love the tank even with the little animals in it," Corbin said. "They'll go crazy when I get fish in it."

Danny Kerr has been cutting hair 20 years and owns a barber shop and hair salon in Nashville. He said one of his barbers recently approached him about adding a fish tank to the barber shop, but the idea was dropped because of the current law.

If the bill becomes law, Kerr said he would be open to fish in the shop for decorative reasons, especially since they're in places like doctor's offices and law offices.

"I think it would be good for business," he said.

The companion bill is scheduled before the Senate Commerce Labor and Agriculture Committee.

More details as they develop online and in Wednesday's News Sentinel.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching fish in a tank is more entertaining and educational than most TV shows, except American Picker and Pawn Stars.

I would agree 100% if we could add Sons of Anarchy to the list. I love Pawn Stars and American Pickers.

Fishtanks are cool. At one time I had 6 running in my home at the same time. Two 55 gallons, Two 29 gallons, and Two 10 gallons. I currently only have the Two 29 gallons running.

Who would have thunk that you couldn't have a fish tank in a Barber shop.

I better pass this along to my barber who has has a fish tank in his place as long as I

have known him. Didn't know that he was a radical law breaker.

Your not talking about Ray's in Ooltewah are ya? I used to ride my 4wheeler through his son's yard they didn't like me so much haha.

I'm glad that gun bills are on the back burner for more important legislation. I'm taking signatures for allowing fried bologna sammiches on waterways so long as the vehicle is under 14' long but not shorter than 10' long and only has a flat bottomed hull.

BOLOGNA UBER ALLES!

I'm taking signatures for allowing fried bologna sammiches on waterways so long as the vehicle is under 14' long but not shorter than 10' long and only has a flat bottomed hull.

That'll never work, gonna cause all kinds of problems.

NO BOLOGNA EN LA AGUA!!!!