Marlin 1894C

Guest c.a.s.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one for Christmas when I was 15. I love it!

Partly cause my Dad got it for me.

It shoots great. Balances well and has always been my pickup and shoot rifle. No matter how long I let it sit I usually can pick it up and hit with it.

I have only done two things to mine...

1. Williams peep sight. (I just like them, it's just a personal preference.)

2. Sling. This one is similar to the one I have. I keep about ten .357 in them and about 5-6 .38 shot shells.

This summer I may by a mount and put a red dot sight on it for my son.

The only draw back for me was when I was 18 my class ring would klang on the lever. Always wanted a large loop for it... but could never find one.

Overall... a really great rifle in my opinion. :cool:

Ohshoot should be along directy to rave on his and break it down for you.

It's a great rifle. Marlin...accurate...very well made.

Usually one gets a rifle in such a caliber as a companion piece to a handgun. You can use the same ammo but reach out a little further. Something to consider.

Edited by Garufa
Guest BEARMAN

I have one, and love it! I put a set of Skinner brass peep sights on mine, and it made an already accurate rifle, a tack driver!

Light and handy, it will take anything up to and including black bear in Tennessee, using the right lead pill, of course.

I tend to favor the 180 gr. JHP or gas checked, hard cast for hunting deer size game.

Check out the sights at...Marlin peep sights they are a vast improvement over the factory buck-horn sights.

You know you want it, so...might as well get it!

Oh, BTW.....Happy Birthday! :popcorn:

I have one, and love it! I put a set of Skinner brass peep sights on mine, and it made an already accurate rifle, a tack driver!

Light and handy, it will take anything up to and including black bear in Tennessee, using the right lead pill, of course.

I tend to favor the 180 gr. JHP or gas checked, hard cast for hunting deer size game.

Check out the sights at...Marlin peep sights they are a vast improvement over the factory buck-horn sights.

You know you want it, so...might as well get it!

Oh, BTW.....Happy Birthday! :popcorn:

+1. Skinner sights and a set of springs and you will have sweet little rifle. I love mine.

Ohshoot should be along directy to rave on his and break it down for you.

It's a great rifle. Marlin...accurate...very well made.

Usually one gets a rifle in such a caliber as a companion piece to a handgun. You can use the same ammo but reach out a little further. Something to consider.

Here I be.

Shot it some this very day as a matter of fact. Love it.

Hey, come to think of it, you've shot it too, C.A.S.

Took a year to find one locally, finally walked into the right Wallys on the right day. Only glitch was it shot a little high with rear all the way down, had Gander Mtn. put a taller front sight on (free, warranty).

The Blackhawk is a good match, too, so you'll probably have to get a cowboy revolver to keep it company. :popcorn:

blackhawk-marlin.jpg

- OS

The only problem is finding one for sale!

This says print it out, take it to your Wal-Mart and they will order it for you.

Walmart.com: Marlin 1894C Lever Action Rifle 357: Hunting

Ordering in three simple steps:

• Print this page (please be sure to print the Wal-Mart Item #, which is found at the bottom of the Web page)
  • Go to the Sporting Goods Department at your local Wal-Mart store
  • Show the printout to a Sporting Goods associate to have them special order your selected item

Important Notice:

Firearms and ammunition are only available at Wal-Mart stores licensed to sell firearms. Please call your local store first to make sure they are licensed to sell firearms. You will be able to find your store phone number by clicking the link below and entering your ZIP code. Prices may vary in Alaska and Hawaii.

This says print it out, take it to your Wal-Mart and they will order it for you.

Walmart.com: Marlin 1894C Lever Action Rifle 357: Hunting...

Yeah, I had discussed this what seems to be the most gun knowledgeable Wally's in Knoxville, the Clinton Hwy. store.

You have to pay for it upfront. Manager fellow there said that a 1894 in .357 or .45 might take 3 months, a year, or however long, no way to know. Said you can get your money back after a certain time period if it hasn't come, don't remember what that span was. So I didn't do it, but that WAS the store I eventually found mine at. The gal there at the time, who actually did know something about guns and was a shooter, said she didn't know off hand, but her guess was that this gun had been ordered by someone in the past who had given up on it and she did know it had only come in a day or two previous. And only the one.

No way to verify the veracity of all the above, but unlike most stores, these two folks did seem to know their stuff. You'll often see a .44 mag at Wally's, and of course the very common 336 in .30-30, almost always the W model.

- OS

edit: btw, they have been making the 1894C in stainless now, and apparently this is even MORE difficult to get except maybe online. Seems to be a scheduled limited run, or time line, or something on it.

Edited by OhShoot

What's a fair price to pay for one?

I've been looking on gunbroker and seeing $600-$700, even the used ones. There was one at $350, but it was bids, and it had gotten there from $10 in a matter of hours. There was a brand new one for $550, which sounded nice. Gallery of Guns (who marlin sells through) says they are $687 and some change, at least the MSRP. (They also say they are allotted, and that they have zero in stock at GoG)

As to "why .357", I pretty much agree with the answer given. Because I can. Because it's cheaper and easier to find than .44MAG or .45COLT. Because there's about 200 rounds of assorted .38 and .357MAG sitting in the safe at my grandfathers to never be used otherwise. Because I really liked shooting OhShoot's. Lots of reasons.

Mine was $485 new at Wally's. The blued model.

Even though I really wanted one, I just wouldn't pay 100-200 more for one online just because they are hard to get.

Marlin website show MSRP of $687.72. I guess, since only way to see that is to go through a Gallery of Guns link from product page.

- OS

Judging by the prices I’m seeing there must be two different models of this rifle. One is around $500 and the other is around $700.

They do the same thing with the 336; one has a plastic looking stock and a lousy blue job and the other has a wood stock and a good blue job.

One just ended on GB $575 and never got a bid. (Auction # 158666177)

But I advertised here and a couple of other places and never found one, so unless you want a long wait I’d say a fair price is whatever the seller is asking. ;)

Judging by the prices I’m seeing there must be two different models of this rifle. One is around $500 and the other is around $700.

Unless you're seeing the stainless one, the higher one you're seeing is probably the "cowboy" model, has octagon barrel, barrel plug instead of band.

They do the same thing with the 336; one has a plastic looking stock and a lousy blue job and the other has a wood stock and a good blue job.

The blueing on both 1894c's is described as "deeply blued" so I dunno about that, but the stocks are both American walnut, and both have the shiny "Mar-Shield" finish, sort of a urethane look.

The cheaper 336's (A and W) probably do have lesser care of bluing, as they are not described as "deeply blued" like the 336C. The "plastic looking stock" on the A,W is wood, birch instead of walnut, but all current 336's have the "Mar-Shield" finish regardless of wood type.

- OS