Conditional approval

Guest joey615

Guest joey615

OK i bought a handgun on 2/9/10 and was denied and sent an approval the same day. now its 2/23/10 wich is 15 days. so i called TBI and they said the agencies havn't sent in all the paperwork, so if they dont send in all the paperwork by today ill get a conditional approval. so what do i do next gun city said they dont accept approval.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the transfering FFL won't accept the conditional approval (and they don't have to) the only thing you can do is wait and see what the holdup is. You may want to run a check on yourself through TBI and NICS to see what shows.

Once you figure out what's there.. you can work on getting it removed.

I had the same issue before and it took me 6 months to get things cleaned up.

You will have to send in an appeal. Once the appeal runs its course, they will tell you what held you up. Once you know, you can fix it and it wont happen again. Your FFL should have given you an appeal form.

It will take some weeks if not months to correct. You might as well get started.

I'm sorry i can't think of the web site right now, but i am sure someone will pop in with it soon. I think it is buried somewhere in the TN dept of safety site.

Edited by gotigers
Guest 10mm4me

I am going through the same :poop: I am buying from G&L and 2morrow is day 15 for me. They told me to come in so the owner could talk to me face to face and he said he would make a decision after talking to me. I have never had so much as a speeding ticket, I have a HCP, an armed guard license, honorably discharged from the U.S. Marine Corps, so hopefully all goes well, TBI really F***** this one up.

Guys this is quite common. Just be patient. Once the TBI sends you the official paperwork you'll see what they saw. And NO.. It's not their responsibility to get the information from the other angencies. All they can do is request it.. if they don't get it.. you have to do the leg work.

It sucks.. that's for sure.. but there's nothing you can do about it. I had the same issue several years back i'll try to explain.

I was arrested in 1988 on a weapons charge. I was booked, printed, and tossed in the slammer for the night. The charges were dismissed the next day and I was released.

When you are arrested your print card along with the charge is sent to the FBI. The local authority is suppose to update the FBI with a final disposition in every case. This doesn't always happen.

So.. YEARS later I go to buy a gun. TBI see's the record with the FBI and requests information from KY. KY doesn't respond. Why? becasue they have no record of the arrest at all.. NOTHING..

So I get denied and the typical conditional procede a few weeks later

After dealing with this crap twice I decided to take action. I requested background checks from TBI, FBI and the KY State police. I then filed the proper paperwork to have that FBI record expunged.

It took about 6 months from start to finnish.. This can happen to anyone.. It's also possible someone else's arrest information is on your record due to identity theft or even human error.

Best thing to do is not get pissed. Take the appropiate action and get it resolved once and for all.

disregard spellng and grammar, i'm in a hurry.. lol

Edited by lowbud
Guest rockytop

Once when I got rejected, I talked with a TBI agent who told me he had the same name as some child molester or rapist in E. Tn, and he couldn't buy a cap pistol without his TBI I.D. A lot of different things can cause it.

Edited by rockytop
Guest 10mm4me

Well, Guns & Leather just sold me mine on a conditional approval. Just went in, talked to them, showed them it was without a doubt a TBI error and the owner approved the sale. That service is why I won't buy from anyone but G&L.

The BATF form provides for entering a SSAN. If that number is provided, I don't understand the confusion. I routinely provide that number in an effort to preclude association with other people with similar names. Did you provide your Social Security Account Number?

• 2 months later...
Guest dedzone

Gun City will not release on a conditional. In addition - they will not give you all of your money back either. They keep 25%. The statement on their receipt is:

"Items not picked up in 30 days or PERMIT disapproved: 25% of purchase price forfeited."

I am going thru this with them now. They don't want to give me the gun but don't want to give me my money back either. Trying to find an attorney now. More than one way to skin this cat...

:lol:

That is total BS. I have heard of keeping a fee, $60 at G&A in Memphis, but 25% is crap. I would never buy from them. They know good and well, that some denials are mistakes. They are just looking for a way to keep your money. Even if it is printed on the receipt. You dont see that until you buy it. IF they had a big sign on the wall, then you shouldn't have bought from them.

Guest dedzone

Nope they say nothing....but the point is this: I am no longer denied. They are lawfully allowed to transfer the firearm. Those have chosen not to which is their prerogative. I am still inside the 30 days as well. So - they think they can just say it and I will walk away. Not today.

Thanks for the support. In the mean time - I have filed a Voluntary appeal with the FBI to get a UPIN. Keep this from ever happening again.

Howard

Nope they say nothing....but the point is this: I am no longer denied. They are lawfully allowed to transfer the firearm. Those have chosen not to which is their prerogative. I am still inside the 30 days as well. So - they think they can just say it and I will walk away. Not today.

Thanks for the support. In the mean time - I have filed a Voluntary appeal with the FBI to get a UPIN. Keep this from ever happening again.

Howard

My point is, if they don't warn you ahead (before handing over the cash)of time about their "refund policy", how were you supposed to make an informed decision about buying from them in the first place?

I would not pay for a firearm unless I was 100% sure it was leaving with me. And I definitely wouldn't do so knowing I could lose 25% of the purchase price if something went wrong.

During all of my firearms purchases through a dealer, I never had to pay for the firearm before the background check was completed. I generally paid the $10 fee for the background check, and then paid for the firearm after everything came back OK.

Bottom line is, Gun City (or anyone, for that matter) should be required to inform you of such policy before you hand over any money. Warning you after you've paid is obviously no good for the customer.

Guest dedzone

Thanks. I never thought that the firearm was NOT leaving with me. I have never had a problem and I have purchase 1 or 2 firearms in the last 10 years.

They say nothing and the rubber stamp on the receipt says "denied" or similar. I am no longer denied and they still don't want to give me my money back.

It will work out in the end. It is just frustrating.

Howard

Guest ryan02
My point is, if they don't warn you ahead (before handing over the cash)of time about their "refund policy", how were you supposed to make an informed decision about buying from them in the first place?

I would not pay for a firearm unless I was 100% sure it was leaving with me. And I definitely wouldn't do so knowing I could lose 25% of the purchase price if something went wrong.

During all of my firearms purchases through a dealer, I never had to pay for the firearm before the background check was completed. I generally paid the $10 fee for the background check, and then paid for the firearm after everything came back OK.

Bottom line is, Gun City (or anyone, for that matter) should be required to inform you of such policy before you hand over any money. Warning you after you've paid is obviously no good for the customer.

Like he said above out of all the guns I have bought I have never been asked to pay for the gun before background came back.

A few weeks ago I was buying a gun at Guns and Leather. I have bought countless guns there. Andrew looked at me funny while looking at the computer and told me that I was denied. I had no idea what I had done. I filled out the form and left. Andrew called me about an hour later to say that he called it in after I left and it was a mistake. That was a relief. Since then I have bought a couple other guns, one being at the gunshow and I have help my breath until I was approved. Even though I know nothing is on my record it's still embarasing. Hope everything turns out OK with your transaction.

Thanks. I never thought that the firearm was NOT leaving with me. I have never had a problem and I have purchase 1 or 2 firearms in the last 10 years.

They say nothing and the rubber stamp on the receipt says "denied" or similar. I am no longer denied and they still don't want to give me my money back.

It will work out in the end. It is just frustrating.

Howard

Keep us updated on this.

Anyway you shake it they are in the wrong and now they are just being greedy by not giving you the firearm then charging you a restocking fee on a firearm that isn't leaving their possession. They are crooks and I would contact local LE, possibly the DA, to determine the legality of charging a restocking fee for something they will not let you have after you have paid for and been approved to take possession of. Or what about the legality of them keeping the firearm you have been approved for and paid for.

What needs to happen is their phones get called non stop until they change their BS policy. Of course there is no reason to jeopardize your transaction by doing this before everything is resolved, unless you want of course.

There would probably be nothing more disturbing to a small business for hundreds of potential customers swear to never shop with them ever again. Letting them know you will try to discourage everyone you meet from shopping with them can knock a little sense into them as well.

There are other national companies that do the same. I even heard of a MAJOR stock maker who didn't have a rifle stock in stock at the time an order was placed online. When the customer called the maker he was told the stock wouldn't be available for 6+ months. When the customer tried to cancel the order he was charged a 15% restocking fee, on an item not in stock, as well as a order cancellation fee. This wasn't a custom stock but a regularly stocked item that just happen to be on backorder from the supplier.

Any business that charges a restocking fee on something that never leaves their possession is a crook in my eyes and will never see one red cent of mine.

Dolomite