My First Handgun

Guest benrook88

Guest benrook88

After a tough decision between the p238 and p229 I chose the 238, sense summer time is coming up shortly. But any who here are some pictures! I have yet to shoot it, gonna try this weekend.

6ghtsn.jpg

o1z44.jpg

2lo2ctc.jpg

30u6zgx.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're a natural or a man with very deep pockets, because it's going to be very expensive or impossible to become proficient, what with .380 being as scarce as it is.

But, nice gun. I had one just like it with black grips. Mine wouldn't shoot reliably, but maybe yours will. And remember, don't buy Sig mags, buy Colt Mustang mags! They're way cheaper and work perfectly.

Guest benrook88

Thanks guys. I get all the big gun looks except in a small back pocket package!

And we will see, Savage. And you ain't kidding about the ammo costing a lot, the only place that I could find that was selling self defense rounds was selling them for $33 for 20 rounds... lol.

But I got a box of FMJ's to shoot around with, they weren't too terribly expensive.

one tip. I know of two different people with one and the only HP that would feed were hornady critical defense. I didn't really look at the jams with the other rounds, but I'm pretty sure it's because the critical defense has a tight cone like shape (quiet different from most HP.

Other than that, it's a great little gun and quiet fun to shoot.

Guest rystine
Yea I shoot Extreme Shock rounds for personal defense.

Extreme Shock Enhanced Penetration Ammunition 380 ACP 75 Grain Frangible Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Not sure if they are any good or not but it was the only defense rounds I could find in my area... everything else was back ordered.

Alot of people who use .380's advocate using FMJ ammo for defensive purposes. Reason being that you'll get better penetration with FMJ compared to JHP, and .380 isn't the best penetrating round anyway. Just something to think about.

Yea I shoot Extreme Shock rounds for personal defense.

Extreme Shock Enhanced Penetration Ammunition 380 ACP 75 Grain Frangible Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Not sure if they are any good or not but it was the only defense rounds I could find in my area... everything else was back ordered.

nice pistol... probably not the best choice for a 1st handgun, or a primary carry pistol, but oh well. :popcorn:

as rystine already mentioned... in the .380, FMJ is a better choice for defense. the JHP's do not provide adequate penetration in this cartridge. save your $$$ and carry FMJ in the noisy cricket.

here is a link to some really good info. the author is a highly respect ballistics/ammo expert: BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

to clarify: FMJ is not a good idea for carry in larger, more powerful cartridges due to over-penetration....however, .380 is an exception to the rule.

FWIW, I'd get into that P229 you were looking at ASAP, or at least something in 9mm or larger. much better choice for a primary carry gun...

Guest benrook88

Thanks again for the tips guys, I'll do some reading on it.

And yea I wanted a bigger gun but I'm only 5'7" 140 and I wear slacks and button ups everywhere I go and summer time was coming up so I had to choose either that sexy 229 elite or the 238 and lets face it, I'm not going to be able to conceal a 229 without loose fitting clothes, which I don't really have.

Sometimes I feel like a girl shoping for clothes when I'm looking at hand guns... I'm really really picky.. I don't think it's healthy :dirty:

Concealibility is all about gear. You would be surprised how well you can conceal a full size handgun, with dress cloths, tucked in, and no one will ever know. Take a look at a good gun belt, with velcro, a MTAC or CTAC(what I use) with velcro clips. It is inside the waist, it is tuckable, and myself, who is 5'9" and 160-165, I can go out with a t shirt and and be concealed, with very little printing.

Here is me

Pictures2157.jpg

Yes there is a gun in there somewhere, it's an XD 40 Service model, which has the 4" barrel.

See!

Pictures2154.jpg

It is possible, with the right gear.

But anyway, very nice looking pocket gun. Me likes a lot.

Guest benrook88

Oh wow, that's impressive. I'm just worried that the 229 will pull my pants down, I guess it can't if I wear my belt tight. You are making it awfully hard for me resisting to buy another gun. Haha

Guest rystine

I'd say you would probably not regret it if you went ahead and picked up a 229 to go with your 238. It will certainly be more enjoyable and MUCH cheaper to shoot, regardless of whether or not you decide to carry it.

Oh wow, that's impressive. I'm just worried that the 229 will pull my pants down, I guess it can't if I wear my belt tight. You are making it awfully hard for me resisting to buy another gun. Haha

it won't pull your pants down, but it'll do a better job of saving your a$$ than that .380 will... :drama:

seriously though, get a good belt, a good holster, and you'll be good to go. it's easier to carry a larger pistol than you think. and besides, a P229 isn't exactly huge....