Vanderbilt student newspaper exchange on school shootings

Guest oldsmobile98

Guest oldsmobile98

This ran in Friday's Vanderbilt student newspaper:

Guns and responsibility | InsideVandy

So, I sent this to the editor. Should run in today's paper.

Observance and preparation will help prevent violence | InsideVandy

I glanced over it, and I don't think they changed anything from what I sent them. They did make up the title, though. I forgot to give it one.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Olds

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Good letter, however, unless I'm reading it wrong, you are incorrect on this:

This is why I believe that the law ought to recognize my right to carry my handgun on public campuses. Vanderbilt is a private university, of course, so it can choose to do whatever it wants, though you know which position I prefer.
It is irrelevant in the eyes of the law whether the school is public or private.
39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

(:shake: (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (:wave: is a Class E felony.

Edited to add: Ok, I misread your statement. It just sounded like you were trying to say the current law didn't include private schools.

Edited by bkelm18
Good letter, however, unless I'm reading it wrong, you are incorrect on this:

It is irrelevant in the eyes of the law whether the school is public or private.

He didn't say that was the law but rather the way the law should be. I agree.

Guest bkelm18
He didn't say that was the law but rather the way the law should be. I agree.

Ok well the way I read it is that he was saying Vandy could make it's own choice to allow carry or not since it was private and that only public schools are against the law for carrying. I haven't had my coffee yet. Either way it's misleading, to me at least.

Ok well the way I read it is that he was saying Vandy could make it's own choice to allow carry or not since it was private and that only public schools are against the law for carrying. I haven't had my coffee yet.

It is early.... or late depending on which end of the shift your on!

Guest oldsmobile98

Thanks, all. You are right about the wording on that, bkelm18; I could have phrased it better. Two barriers are in front of carry at Vanderbilt; the first is TN law, and the second is the people in charge at Vanderbilt. I was just trying to say that even when TN repeals that section, VU will still be able to prohibit guns on campus, since it's private. But UT, ETSU, and MTSU will have to recognize our right to carry. I can imagine the result: much whining about the return of the Wild West, followed by a mysterious reduction in crime after it goes into effect. Logic still works, who knew?

StreetWK05: The link works for me, so rather than repost it, I will PM my response to you.

Edited by oldsmobile98
This ran in Friday's Vanderbilt student newspaper:

Guns and responsibility | InsideVandy

So, I sent this to the editor. Should run in today's paper.

Observance and preparation will help prevent violence | InsideVandy

I glanced over it, and I don't think they changed anything from what I sent them. They did make up the title, though. I forgot to give it one.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Olds

A great response. Well reasoned and erudite.

Keep up the good work!!

Kind regards,

Leroy

I liked your letter, too. It was politely written for a difficult crowd at Vandy. I

hope she or someone responds to your letter. That's what it takes. Good job!

Excellent rebuttal. It will be interesting to see the response. Sometimes the people that proclaim themselves to be progressive and free thinking, as you would often find at universities, are actually the most close-minded people there are. Way to stand and fight the good fight.