Colt vs S&W Snubbie

SavageSig

I think the next pistol itch I'm going to scratch is a small snub nose revolver. I shot a J-Frame .38 +P S&W and I was very accurate with it. I really enjoyed the smooth DAO trigger and I could tolerate the snag free sights. My question is: How does a Colt Cobra or Detective Special stack up to a modern day 442? The exposed hammer doesn't bother me, nor does the inability to fire +P ammo, but how about reliability and trigger? Anybody have both and want to share their opinion? All things being equal, I'd go with a Colt just because they're Colts and they're old and I like both of those things. What say you?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

Wow, I just got 2 little Colt Cobras a .38 and a .32 (pictured, I wish it had factory grips) and I'm loving them. Light and tight. The .32 has the best trigger I have ever felt on any gun that wasn't a 1911.

32cobra.jpg

Both are 1967 models and looks wise, ahhh they ain't getting asked to dance at the prom. Action wise phenominal. I shot the .38 today and not so bad at all from 10 yards. just 12 rounds to see how it worked. Perfect! The barrels in both look almost new.

I have a new set of grips ordered that I hope will be here next week. Then some more range time. I think it's going to be as accurate as any snubby and that ain't bad.

If you really want a nice Detective last generation that is as close to new in the box as you will find. Mike has one at Austin's Tennessee Firearms in Oak Ridge for $700.00. Box and all the gen was fired 6 times in it's life.

Here is some serial number info

http://www.guncollectorsclub.com/cobra.htm

I've had both and prefer the colt because it holds 6 shots. I have a DS-II in stainless.

Yeah 6 shot instead of 5 and no internal lock!

Edited by mikedwood

I recall seeing maybe 6 Det. Specials at Outpost Armory a few weeks back.. it would be easy to get a side by side comparison as they probably also have a few S&W there..

I like my 2nd. Variant Colt Det.Spl. but a Chiefs is a nice snub also,would probably go with a SS 640 if I ever carry a snub seriously ..

And you can fire +P in a Detective Special just don't make it a steady diet thing, I think a .357 640 loaded with +P .38 would be the best balance for me.

coltds

The Colt Detective Special

John

Hi:

I have both.Like both.

Colt are more expensive and harder to find than Smiths.

The Colt hold one more round and has more grip to hold on to.

Have you considered a S&W Model 12 2" RB?

Jimmy

..... All things being equal, I'd go with a Colt just because they're Colts and they're old and I like both of those things.

Never owned a Colt, but I'm with you there. Only thing is that if I had one, I may not make it my EDC because I'd not want to scratch it :D

Own a Colt DSII it shoots so smoooth

I :stick: this S & W in small frame.

http://www.great-lakes.org/graphics-2/Smith&Wesson/rev-10-08-07/M&P_360.jpg

I got offered one of those in a trade a several months ago. I almost did it just to run a few rounds through it. I cannot imagine putting a full powered .357 round through something that weighs about as much as a LCP. Must be pretty spectacular.

Guest mikedwood

If anyone has a set of original D frame grips they want to sell or trade PM me please.

I ordered what I think it going to be a nice set for the 38 but I want to put original ones on the 32. That Houge grip looks atrocious.

Oh that's an easy one....

Ruger SP101.

Oh wait, not on the list, but definitely something you should look into if you have the snubby itch. It's the best way I've found to scratch mine.

Really I think either the Colt or S&W would be a good purchase.

Although you said "modern day", I'd try to find a pre-lock if you go with the S&W. Those things just bother me personally.

Edited by (BH)