Getting handgun registration changed

brad2157

I am wanting to sell a few handguns that I have. They are both in my name and I want to make sure after I sell them, that they are in the new owners name on the registration, just in case something should happen years down the road. How do I go about doing this? I wanted to just take the handguns to the Nashville Gun show to sell, but was unsure how I can get the registration changed out of my name after selling them.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state of TN does not register handguns. The only record of the sale is if you bought the guns new from the dealer. If so, the dealer has noted in their records that you bought the guns, the government has no knowledge of it.

If you want to sell them and are concerned about it, simply have the buyer sign a bill of sale. There are various opinions on paperwork for a private gun sale, there was a discussion not long ago on here about it you could probably find. Some folks do it, some folks don't, the law doesn't require any paperwork for a sale between two private TN residents.

Brad I use a form similar to this

I sold gun (model) with Seriel #_________ to (buyers name) with TN DL#____________ on (date)

and then both of you sign it. Then keep it, the law states that you have to sell to a TN resident. So I keep it for those purposes and I dont trust that "no one in the government knows" about my guns:tinfoil: Yep got my tinfoil hat on! All it would take is a government confiscation of sales records, and if they are takin our guns, anything is possible

Edited by Lumber_Jack
bad punctuation, then misspelled punctuation
Guest stovepipe

There is no gun registration per se, but they sure seem to be able to track an FFL sale when they need to... (Remember the Steve McNair case? That pistol had originally been purchased 8-9 years prior at a pawn shop.)

Though not required, I think it's prudent to, at a minimum, get the info Lumber Jack mentioned. If you want more, APPS has a full blown form on their site: http://www.appstraining.com/ Click the "Gun Sale" button on the the left side of the page. No doubt the buyer can lie on the form, but at least you can say you tried, should a problem come up in the future.

Big Poppa's comment about swapping photo copies of both of your D/L's or HCP's is not a bad idea, either.

Edited by stovepipe
Guest bkelm18

If you're truly paranoid about it, transfer it to the new buyer via a dealer. Though there is no gun registry in TN, if you do it through a dealer, it will be on paper in some sort of official capacity. Personally I think that would be a waste of money. Just sell it and go on about your day.

As a seller, you are obligated to only make sure that the buyer is a resident of TN, and that you don't know of any reason why they cannot legally buy a firearm.

When I sell, I check the driver's license, and don't sell to anyone that I have a bad 'feeling' about.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest walkingdeadman

Great question. I have been wondering this myself.

Is there anyway to get that gun purchase out of your name when you do sale? Or is it there permanently?

Great question. I have been wondering this myself.

Is there anyway to get that gun purchase out of your name when you do sale? Or is it there permanently?

In Tennessee - the store where you purchased the firearm will have a record of the transfer to you. Other than that there is no registration of firearms in this state.

If you sell it to some one - make sure they are a TN resident and ask similar questions to those on the 4473 form. They will answer. If you have a good feeling make the deal. If you don't have a good feeling don't.

I made a trade to someone on this forum. I had a piece of paper as a bill of sale but that was only for my records. I kept a copy and gave a copy to the other person. I don't know where that piece of paper is anymore.