enfield

I have a .308 Enfield that was given to me. It apparently has too much "head space" to be safe to fire (supposed to be 10 thousands something or other and it's 12).

So is this something I should just s--t can or is it something that could be repiared or modified? It's in otherwise pretty good condition. Hate to think I just toss the thing in the trash...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enfield headspace is easily adjusted by changing out the bolt head. The problem is going to be finding the proper bolt head for your rifle.

Complicating the issue is that there are two basic models of Enfield. The #1 MKIII has the rear sight in front of the chamber, and the #4 has a peep sight at the rear of the receiver. The bolt head of #1 Enfields is not marked with the size. You just have to measure them. The #4 Enfields are marked with a small number from 0-4. If you have a #4, you just find the number and then buy a bolt head one size larger.

Now the kicker; I do not know if the .308 Enfields use the same bolt heads as the very common parts for the .303 rifles.

The real expert on these rifles is Brian Dick in SC. He can probably tell you pretty quickly what you will need, and is likely to actually have it.

BDL LTD Rifles and Accessories

Enfield headspace is easily adjusted by changing out the bolt head. The problem is going to be finding the proper bolt head for your rifle.

Complicating the issue is that there are two basic models of Enfield. The #1 MKIII has the rear sight in front of the chamber, and the #4 has a peep sight at the rear of the receiver. The bolt head of #1 Enfields is not marked with the size. You just have to measure them. The #4 Enfields are marked with a small number from 0-4. If you have a #4, you just find the number and then buy a bolt head one size larger.

Now the kicker; I do not know if the .308 Enfields use the same bolt heads as the very common parts for the .303 rifles.

The real expert on these rifles is Brian Dick in SC. He can probably tell you pretty quickly what you will need, and is likely to actually have it.

BDL LTD Rifles and Accessories

Wow...thanks for the info. I've been told by most everyone else that I might as well do as mentioned here, hang it on the wall. But I really like this thing. It's definitely a mans rifle and I'd love to save it if I can. I don't recall a peep sight on the receiver but I'll look when I get home.

New found hope here....