Define an army or navy pistol

Mike.357

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Model 1842 Percussion Navy pistol served the country for a long time. They truly seen the world. They were carried by Navy ships and personnel to Japan, China, Korea, Central America and to every country visited by U.S. ships of the line. They were on Navy ships during the War with Mexico. They could be found during the Civil War on Navy and Army ships and boats maintaining the blockade of southern ports. They were on board the ships and boats cruising the Mississippi, Ohio and their tributaries. They very likely were carried ashore by sailors and marines in landing parties during that great conflict. Navy records as detailed in "CIVIL WAR SMALL ARMS OF THE U.S. NAVY AND MARINE CORPS" by John D. McAulay indicate that both "Navy" and "Army" pistols as well as "Boarding Pistols" were in evidence, in some numbers, on Naval ships before, during and at the end of the Civil War. As in the case of the Aston and Johnson "Army" pistols some even probably found their way into the Confederate Navy (or Army).

They are referred to, in Navy records, as "Navy Pistols, Ames Pistols or Boarding Pistols". "Army Pistols" mentioned in Navy records are references to the larger size Model 1842, .54 caliber, Single Shot Pistols manufactured by Henry Aston and Ira N. Johnson from 1845 to 1852.

I would be very suprised if it actually was a 1851 Navy. From the video it appears to be brass framed. I have no idea where you get a brass framed 51 chambered in .36 cal. The gun has to be a .44, so therefore it is not a navy revolver, and being a 51 replica it is not an army either.

No one will care. It isn’t the cops or the Prosecutor that is bringing up this obscure law; it is dumb azz trying to use it to justify walking around with a gun in his hand. He intentionally used it to bait the cops to stop him, and now wants to sue them because they did.

I hope they bankrupt this POS and I am really interested in what attorney would take this case.

I'm guessing it was a replica.

Well of course it was, 99.9999% of black powder revolvers are replicas.

The 51 Navy had a brass grip frame. On what information are you basing your argument against it being a 51 Navy? Could you provide a link?

Have you read the thread? :)

A navy is in .36 caliber. An army is in .44. The 1851 Navy was chambered back in the day in .36 caliber.

Pietta, Uberti and others make 1851 replicas. They make them in steel frame and in brass. You can get a 51 navy in .36 in a steel frame, but I have never seen one new for sale these days with a brass frame and chambered in .36. The replicas with brass frame are .44 caliber.

Being an 1851 replica chambered in .44 caliber it cannot be a navy pistol. And it certainly is not an army pistol. NO ONE makes an 1851 army.

Am I missing the point or something?:death:

Pietta, Uberti and others make 1851 replicas. They make them in steel frame and in brass. You can get a 51 navy in .36 in a steel frame, but I have never seen one new for sale these days with a brass frame and chambered in .36. The replicas with brass frame are .44 caliber.

From the Taylor's & Co. site.

Take a look at the gun in the upper right corner of the pic:

navyCollection.jpg

I know some of the Confederate guns were nothing more than brass-framed copies of Colts, but I don't know if there was a true brass-framed, .36 cal. Confederate 1851 Navy.

As to whether the actual caliber and design of the gun makes any real difference with the law dip:poop: was "testing", I can't even begin to guess. :doh:

J.