Embarrasing CC experience

I found this article on www.carryconcealed.net, and had a question...how could his pistol have fired when it hit the floor? don't all new pistols have safety devices to prevent discharge when dropped?

Man hurt when gun blasts toilet | Deseret News

CENTERVILLE — A man was wounded by shrapnel from a toilet when his concealed weapon accidentally went off while he was using the bathroom, police said. It happened Tuesday at the Carl's Jr. restaurant at 385 N. 800 West. Police said the 26-year-old man had gone into the bathroom to use the toilet, armed with a .40-caliber Kahr P40 handgun. The man, who has a valid concealed weapon permit and was lawfully in possession of the gun, had it in a holster inside his pants.

"While pulling his pants up the gun fell out of the holster, striking the tile floor," Centerville Police Lt. Paul Child said Wednesday. "When the gun hit the floor, it went off, and the bullet struck the toilet, shattering it and sending sharp pieces of porcelain flying."

The man was hit by some porcelain shards, lacerating his arm. No one else was injured, but an employee of the restaurant in the next-door women's restroom heard the gunshot and panicked.

"She was shaken, she was upset and was complaining of some chest pain," Child said.

The man walked into the restaurant area, holding his wound and asked an employee to call 911. Police and paramedics responded to the call of shots fired inside the restaurant and ended up treating the man for the cuts to his arm. The woman also was treated at the scene.

"In this case it appears that the accident would have been prevented if the man had used a secure holster," Child said. "A good quality firearm also should not fire if it is dropped." The man was not cited, but police took the firearm for safekeeping while they finish their investigation.

"He was shaken up. We felt it was prudent to secure the firearm," Child said. "He'll be able to have the firearm released back to him."

Edited by shspanthers
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I thought that most newer quality handguns had internals that helped them not fire if dropped, but one of three things could be possible (possibly more), 1. Kahr doesn't have these safeties built in, 2. They do, but this gun either malfunctioned or has been altered, 3. The story is not what was reported or what he admitted too (IE he was playing with it)

Just my thoughts. Bet it scared the crap out of him though...

Interesting. I thought that most newer quality handguns had internals that helped them not fire if dropped, but one of three things could be possible (possibly more), 1. Kahr doesn't have these safeties built in, 2. They do, but this gun either malfunctioned or has been altered, 3. The story is not what was reported or what he admitted too (IE he was playing with it)

well, at least he was in the right place :whistle:

Happened a year ago, and discussed here, but...

Interesting. I thought that most newer quality handguns had internals that helped them not fire if dropped, but one of three things could be possible (possibly more), 1. Kahr doesn't have these safeties built in, ...

Yes, Kahr is drop safe.

Guy tried to catch it or something, or squeezed it off with belly fat/shirttail while carrying in less than adequate holster, or .. who knows.

- OS

Happened a year ago, and discussed here, but...

Yes, Kahr is drop safe.

Guy tried to catch it or something, or squeezed it off with belly fat/shirttail while carrying in less than adequate holster, or .. who knows.

- OS

Ha, I thought I remembered this story, looked and say Jan 15th...didn't notice the 2009!

Guest 10mm4me

I'm about 99% sure this guy was either handling the weapon, dropped and tried to catch it, or was playing with it in some way. Very very unlikely it went off when "dropped". Sounds like a convenient excuse story. Unless it was a SA revolver made before the 50's I just don't buy this story at face value.

The first generation S&W autos (like the one in my avatar) can go off if you drop them. One of the main resons they designed the second generation. It's 30 years old, but still works real well. I've never dropped mine, but they had some incidents with LEO's when it was the current generation.

There's no firing pin blocker. It has a half cock.

Guest Tygarys

How could it have? According to the article, it sounds like there was none to be scared out of him! :)

How could it have? According to the article, it sounds like there was none to be scared out of him! :D

I've had to go in for a procedure, there is always more....:eek::dropjaw::-x:yuck::puke:;)

I'm about 99% sure this guy was either handling the weapon, dropped and tried to catch it, or was playing with it in some way. Very very unlikely it went off when "dropped". Sounds like a convenient excuse story. Unless it was a SA revolver made before the 50's I just don't buy this story at face value.

Pre Recall Ruger LCP's which only came out less than 2 years ago will go off if dropped.

Hence the recall.

So if someone has one and didn't send it back to get fixed, it will go off.

How many LCP's were sold VS how many were fixed?

I bet there is a crap load out there....

Edited by aquaman67