Ported choke on in a ported barrel...

Guest Jack Brickhouse

Guest Jack Brickhouse

I recently purchased Mossberg 930 field with a 28" bbl. I've been pattern testing with different combinations of chokes and ammo and I love the patterns it's producing with the chokes that came with the gun. As the old saying goes, "there is always room for improvement".

I'm wanting to experiment with a couple of aftermarket chokes. One choke I'm considering is an extended ported choke. The barrel is already ported. Do you think a ported choke would further help with the recoil and muzzle jump or am just wasting my money? :P

Edited by Jack Brickhouse
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Thats a good question. I can't imagine that it could hurt but I don't see any gains out of going that way. As another saying goes...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you try it let us know.

Again he already stated his shotgun is ported. Do you guys really think he can benefit from spending money on ported chokes? I just cannot rationalize it. I see no value in it whatsoever.

to answer the exact question NO i see no benefit. to me as long as it patterns good it's good and the oem accu mag choke (i think is what it's called) that comes on some mossys works pretty darn good.

Guest Jack Brickhouse

Thanks to all who posted. I had no idea the wide range of chokes that was out there. It does seem that most everyone is an agreement that the additional porting through using an extended ported choke on an already ported barrel is usless.

The only porting I ever saw work was on an 1100 built up by JP and their ports were back at about 18" they claim after that the pressures drop quick and limit portings effectiveness which coincides with the general belief that most shotgun and pistol propellants are done at 16" to 18" inches,.. the rest is sight radius and swing weight...

looking for a link on JPs site they don't offer it anymore it seems... the 3-gunners do mostly it by tuning springs and gas ports internally

Are we looking to reduce recoil or improve function? sometimes it is what it is... try finding a local hunter that has a ported choke it is a common thread pattern he will let you try and burn some ammo to see..

From Trulocks interchange chart:

Mossberg: [EXCEPT 835 & 935, SA-20 and Silver/Onyx series] interchanges with Trulock's Win-Brn-Moss style. ( Winchester,Browning,Mossberg )

Trulock Chokes (interchange list)- choke tubes for mossberg, remington, winchester, beretta, benelli products, and other brands

Edited by LngRngShtr
clarity