Is .45 GAP dead?

JReedEsq

It certainly never caught on like ol' Gaston would have liked. But what do expect when you try and take on what is probably THE American pistol round, the .45 acp?

That said, everyone remembers the nightmare that it was trying to find ammo early last year. But one thing I noticed is that there was always a decent stock of .45 GAP available and for no more than .45 acp. In the past year it's actually been easier to get .45 GAP than .45 acp. Just a thought. . .

Yeah, Sportsman's Warehouse always had WWB in .45GAP and .357sig during the shortage. I personally couldn't justify owning either caliber. Just not common/popular enough for my blood.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me that in 5 years when you cant buy ammo anywhere and cant buy brass to reload it.

It will live as a handloaders pet,..I trim down .30-30 to make a hand gun case..no problems there...

Just trim back .45ACP brass and load em.. small pistol or Large pistol primers is a moot point but..if its all you got and your a "GAPper" then you can still roll your own..

My Gold Cup will always be .45ACP and my other 1911 will always be 10mm but I can trim down the 10's to .40 S&W if it comes to it...for my glock 23 :D

Since my crystal ball is in the shop,..who knows how long this GAP will last..

John

Thanks for having the patience to answer another newbie question. I was curious about the round but I probably would have stayed away anyway.

I decided to get into this hobby at the height of the ammo scare so I'm inclined to stick with the most common calibers. I may buy one more 9mm and then I will venture to either .45ACP, .40S&W or a .357/.38 revolver.

Reed:________

This (.. i believe...) is the right answer with the GAP:

...It will live as a handloaders pet,..

That being said; i SUSPECT (..I dont know....) that the 45GAP was a combination of Glock seeing a chance to capitalize on the American like for the 45 caliber; and to solve an ongoing problem common to short barrel (3") 1911 45 ACP pistols. I SUSPECT (..again, dont know..) that the cartridge was designed to fix one of the problems that plagues the 45ACP. That is the problem with short barrel length guns (3 inch) jambing with great regularity.

I also think they took the other tack (.. like the smart guys they are..) of trying to build a 45 ACP handgun that would work reliably. They built the Glock 36; and were surprized to find out that the 36 is not as prone to jamb as the 3 inch 1911's. The Glock 36 has a 3.76 inch barrel.

Summary: I believe they approached the problem from two different directions and solved it with the Glock 36 (... which i really like...).

Despite what others say; there is no real ballistic difference in the 45ACP and GAP.

Hope this helps,

Leroy

Lets compare Oranges to Oranges

Double Tap 230gr .45ACP -1014 FPS

Double Tap 230gr .45GAP -935 FPS

Compared to what is effectively a +p load, of course the .45acp is faster. One would be hard-pressed to find a standard load which matches the .45gap though. Or if you don't believe me, read this review... the numbers speak for themselves: Firearms - .45GAP vs .45ACP by MarkFreburg It is duly noted that .45gap surpasses std pressure ACP, and falls short of ACP +p.

Compared to what is effectively a +p load, of course the .45acp is faster. One would be hard-pressed to find a standard load which matches the .45gap though. Or if you don't believe me, read this review... the numbers speak for themselves: Firearms - .45GAP vs .45ACP by MarkFreburg It is duly noted that .45gap surpasses std pressure ACP, and falls short of ACP +p.

I understand and accept that, however in your original post you were comparing +p GAP (Double Tap) to standard pressure Gold Dot .45ACP(that is how i read it) so that is what I commented on. Personally I have no need for +P or .45GAP, standard pressure Remington Golden Saber 230 Grain is all of the .45 ammo I use or will ever need for that matter.