My Sisters Taurus Millineum Pro Stolen

Guest macmonkey

Guest macmonkey

I wasn't sure where to post this...

I'm absolutely fuming right now.

My sister owns a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm. She and her husband have their house up for sale. Evidently a few days ago they got a call from their realtor (whom happens to be our mom) that a couple had been interested and wanted to swing by and take a look at the place.

My sister decided it would be a good idea to take her firearm which usually stays in the nightstand on her side of the bed and pick a better hiding spot in case someone got nosey. She wrapped it up in a shirt and stuffed it in a hard to reach spot under their dresser (where "no one would ever look").

As the couple was looking at the house my mom noticed that the man was standing at the bottom of the only staircase sort of posturing and asking questions as to distract them from going upstairs. After about 60 seconds my mom found a good excuse to get past him (take note my brother-in-law always carries and was there too).

The man positioned himself in front of my mother to walk upstairs in front of her giving the woman enough warning to obviously do what she needed to do.

They played it off very well.

Fast forward 3 days - my sister is going out of town and went for her firearm and it was gone. Along with 2 loaded magazines.

Without being to much of a jerk I'm having to explain to my sister that there is no such thing as a 'hidden gun'. She's reporting the theft today.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macmonkey

jackdm,

Actually realtors have no idea who they are bringing into a home.. Anyone can call the number on the sign and say "I'm in the area and would like to see it".. The realtor shows up and lets them in.. That's how it's done. It's a very dangerous line of business.

Guest inspector710

That happened to me when I sold my house in Phoenix in 1983. The agents used lock boxes to get in. Fortunately, it was only a pellet gun. Still-it pisses you off.

Places that seem to be a good hiding place also seem to be some of the first place that BG's look. I have such a place. It is my safe! It is not a high dollar safe but it won't be carried out and it would take a bit of time to get into it for experienced thieves. I don't have any long guns but I bought a long gun safe and not just a cube type. We keep most everything of value that cane easily go into it. Jewelry, laptops, camera equipement, prescription meds, etc. you name it and it goes in there. Of course any handguns that I don't have on my hip along with the ammo. Also after we had our breakin in '06 we upgraded our alarm so that there will not be a way to get in or be in our house without setting off the alarm. Cutting the power and phone lines will not disable it.

I am worried about real estate agents that are not as attentive as they should be and allow potential customers to freely roam thru the house without supervision. Even though we have the majority of our good stuff locked up there are still things that we leave out that I would not want to have stolen. I'm not looking forward to the day that we list our house.

Sorry about your sister's gun. I had a S&W 686 stolen in our breakin. I reported it to the NPD and, believe it or not, I got a letter 18 months later that it had been recovered and I got it back.

Good luck to her.

A local realtor I know now has two German Shepards, fully trained with German commands!

Now that is pretty cool, but does he/she actually bring the dogs to the houses? Seems like most people wouldn't want a dog in their house...Interesting concept though

Guest macmonkey

Last year there were a few instances where realtors were assaulted / robbed in Middle TN. I remember my mom taking self defense classes at her office. In addition she has refused to show houses to some people before just on an instinct.

You wouldn't believe some of the places that she goes. She showed a house one time and found a pound of weed sitting on the table as she walked in the door. Needless she didn't visit that house anymore.

Guest Republican

I am in real estate. I meet a lot of good people that I have much in common with. I can swap stories with almost anybody, LOL.

Anyways, when I am in downtown knoxville I run into a bunch of crackheads. You know the type, walking down the street in the middle of the day with nothing to do but steal and deal.

Any women who is a realtor should have a gun with her when ever she is working. No exceptions.

Guest jackdm3

OK. How about a change of practice to show ID of all prospective buyers? That certainly seems well within reasonable protocol. I mean, we're talking about an investment for them in the tens of thousands. If they are looking in earnest, they WILL be expected to provide A LOT of documentation anyway.

OK. How about a change of practice to show ID of all prospective buyers? That certainly seems well within reasonable protocol. I mean, we're talking about an investment for them in the tens of thousands. If they are looking in earnest, they WILL be expected to provide A LOT of documentation anyway.

I like this idea also what does an honest buyer/buyers have to hide.

You would think the policies on this would be much different. Heck, you can't test drive a vehicle without showing them your driver's lisense, and even though this is mostly to prove you can legally drive I don't see where showing some identification would be any different in buying a house. I would think that all information should be gathered before an agent shows a house for everyone's safety. If someone is in the market for a new house, alot of times they work with a certain agent on several listings anyway. Seems like it would benefit everyone to already have their info on hand before showing them the houses you have listed.

Personally if I had my house listed, unless everything I own is already moved out, the potential buyer would just have to wait until I was home as well so that I could keep an eye on them, or they would definately have to show some kind of identification. I know in this case the agent was the OP's mother, but in other cases the home owners don't know their agents very well. It would be just about impossible for me to let a near stranger show other strangers around my house while I was not there.

I am a real estate agent in Knoxville, TN. I always tell my sellers to hide prescriptions, guns, jewlrey, or anything valuable when listing their home for sale. As you never know who is coming into your home and you never know who the other real estate agents will be letting into your home.

I hope they find these people very soon as I hate to hear about stolen guns out their with the bad guys. I wish you the best of luck.

Blake Rickels