HD and CCW handguns

Guest ab28

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you carry a .380, it would make sense to have a larger gun in a larger caliber for HD purposes. Speak English much? :koolaid:

Why do you have to carry a larger weapon? There are service caliber weapons available in pocket size. The illogic of carrying a .380 totally escapes me.

Why do you have to carry a larger weapon? There are service caliber weapons available in pocket size. The illogic of carrying a .380 totally escapes me.

I am a thin guy, so if I had a job where I had to wear my shirt tucked in, a .380 like a Kel-tec or something in my front pocket would probably be all I could get away with. I don't think anyone is going to argue that a .380 in the head at point blank won't stop someone. Working at a gas station is one scenario I would be thinking of, as I used to do this.

I am a thin guy, so if I had a job where I had to wear my shirt tucked in, a .380 like a Kel-tec or something in my front pocket would probably be all I could get away with. I don't think anyone is going to argue that a .380 in the head at point blank won't stop someone. Working at a gas station is one scenario I would be thinking of, as I used to do this.

Yes, I will argue it till I take my last breath. The reasons not to carry a .380 far outnumber the reasons to carry it. It's just simply a weak SD round, no two ways about it.

PF9 accomplishes the same thing. Just as thin, so there really isn't any reason to settle for the weak .380 round. Besides, ANY handgun can be concealed, you just have to know how to dress around it.

I don't know about you, but I really don't want to be that close to the attacker. You want to get sprayed with HIV positive blood? Not me.

I work a ford dealership, so I carry a Ruger lcp .380 with me at all times. I have a Ruger p94 .40cal and a mossberg 500 as my hd guns. They are just to large to carry or conceal while Im at work. The owner said that I can carry anytime while on the job (and fully supports the fact that I carry while working), but it cannot be seen or have any customer know that I am simply because of a incident that happened a few years back where a customer spotted one of the techs with his handgun iwb and freaked out about it and started screaming and yellin "hes got a gun". Since then if we carry it has to be completely hidden and secure on our person at all times or we will loose the privilege to carry while on his property all together. I would rather have my lcp with me all day while at work and never have to worrie about anyone seeing it than have to leave it in the car where it does me no good, on some days that I have to stay over I will be the last person to lock everything up and leave so my lcp being with me thru the day and at night just works really well for my needs while Im at work. When I get home I swap the lcp out for my p94 in a fobus holster to carry around the house.

Yes, I will argue it till I take my last breath. The reasons not to carry a .380 far outnumber the reasons to carry it. It's just simply a weak SD round, no two ways about it.

PF9 accomplishes the same thing. Just as thin, so there really isn't any reason to settle for the weak .380 round. Besides, ANY handgun can be concealed, you just have to know how to dress around it.

I don't know about you, but I really don't want to be that close to the attacker. You want to get sprayed with HIV positive blood? Not me.

Actually the blood and brain matter spray out of the back of the head, you shouldn't get much on you, even at close range. .380 isn't a monster caliber, I'll give you that, but with proper shot placement, it will get the job done.

As for dressing around it, tucking in your shirt limits your options. I would probably just open carry my Glock 27, actually.

All pistol rounds are underpowered, shot placement matters more than caliber(not talking about .454s or anything, regular carry rounds).

I also practice hand to hand skills, which should be learned by everyone who carries.

Edited by ab28

I understand completely. Because of my work attire and build, I'm not going to be able to effectively conceal most handguns...it just isn't going to happen. A .380 in a suit pocket is about the best I can do. I would rather have a .380 than nothing.

I am so amused at the thought that people actually think that under the stress of a self-defense situation, that they will remain cool, calm and collected. The truth is that your adrenaline kicks in and you LOSE your fine motor skills. All those targets you destroyed at the range in a no-stress environment? Won't happen when SHTF.

So you can talk about shot placement all you want, but it's just not realistic when it's happening to you. Your accuracy is reduced dramatically. It's just insane to rely on an ineffective, weak caliber when there are so many superior choices.

But it is because I don't really know how my body will react to the stress that I will NOT engage unless it is the only way to save my life. I will run or do just about anything else to avoid a deadly confrontation. Shooting is and should be the very LAST resort and I don't take it lightly.

Let's stay on topic guys. Are your HD weapons the same as your CCW or do two different guns serve each purpose? Thanks.

No, they are not the same. My CCW remains on my hip when I am home, but it's only there to give me time to get to my shotgun.

Guest Dean Wormer

Most mainline guns come in fullsize, compact, and subcompact form.

Each of the three can serve different roles, like the subcompact can be everyday carry, the compact for heavier carry days, and either compact or fullsize for Home Defense, and fullsize for range shooting. If the fullsize must be carried (cause, say, you have to go through some bad areas in Memphis) the subcompact can serve as a backup.

All the while, you have magazine interchangability if you stick to the same make. This makes things very easy to keep track of.