HD and CCW handguns

Guest ab28

I already carry, so this is not for advice on what handgun to get. I frequently hear people mention they use a full size handgun for HD, and a separate handgun for CCW. I am curious to why this is. I have found that my G27 is fine for carry, and I just put my 15 round mag in it for HD. The same weapon serves both purposes, and inside a house would be about the same distances I would need for CCW anyways. The accuracy difference between a fullsize won't matter inside a house. I am just curious why people feel they need 2 separate pistols for the same task? If you want more guns, that is cool, this is mainly for curiosity's sake.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rystine

It gives you an excuse to buy more handguns :mad:

In reality, when you carry alot of people sacrifice size, capacity, weight, and (arguably) an effective caliber in order to have a weapon that is more comfortable to carry. After all, if a gun is more comfortable, a person is more likely to consistantly carry it. When a gun is sitting in a nightstand (or wherever you keep your HD gun) instead of being carried on your hip, all of those factors are much less important.

You have a G27 so you probably wouldn't notice a big difference between that and a G22 or 23. But someone who carries a Ruger LCP, because of the convenient size and weight, probably would prefer a "bigger better" pistol for the home.

Of course the best home defense weapon is either a 12 gauge or an AR/AK type carbine IMHO.

Edited by rystine

Personally, I think people just want to buy another gun. I'd like to have a nice full-size handgun that I could leave a light mounted on all the time. Do I need it? No.

Could I just stick a light on my Glock 19 when it's around the house? Yes.

Would I like to get a Glock 17 to match my 19 and 26? Of course.

Do I hope a fourth generation Glock 21 will come out that fits my hand well? Yes.

How about that new tacticool M&P .357 revolver??? Get my point? A "home defense" handgun is a great way to justify buying a cool range gun that is fun to shoot but too big or too heavy to carry regularly.

I think I'll go home and tell the wife I really need to buy this:

Product: Model 327 M&P R8 - 8 Shot, .357 Magnum Revolver=

It gives you an excuse to buy more handguns :mad:

In reality, when you carry alot of people sacrifice size, capacity, weight, and (arguably) an effective caliber in order to have a weapon that is more comfortable to carry. After all, if a gun is more comfortable, a person is more likely to consistantly carry it. When a gun is sitting in a nightstand (or wherever you keep your HD gun) instead of being carried on your hip, all of those factors are much less important.

You have a G27 so you probably wouldn't notice a big difference between that and a G22 or 23. But someone who carries a Ruger LCP, because of the convenient size and weight, probably would prefer a "bigger better" pistol for the home.

Of course the best home defense weapon is either a 12 gauge or an AR/AK type carbine IMHO.

That makes sense, but I would not agree with the AR/AK for HD, at least not where I live. I have houses all around me, and a rifle round has too much penetration. I would be worried about hitting a neighbor or something. I have an AK, and it is easily accessible, but things would have to get really bad for me to grab it for HD.

The home defense gun does make sense in regards to the tiny .380's and revolvers. Also, having a reason to buy another gun never hurts.

Guest bkelm18

Every gun is a home defense gun. :mad: However, my nightstand gun and my carry gun are one and the same. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

I don't have kids, so i have a few pistols lying around the house. But, my best HD gun is my Rem 870 12 ga. (18" barrel, 7 round mag). Stays loaded with single 0 buck, and that's its only purpose.

People sometimes have two because you're not constrained by concealability at home, so you can have a nice, big service pistol/revolver at that's easier to shoot accurately. And, it's an excuse to own more guns :-)

There's an 870 that holds 7 in mag?

- OS

Same here except for the mag extention. I had one but it was a cheapo and started to bind up. I would rather have 4 that cycle.

What ever I carry that day is what I have on my nightstand that night. I've been carrying more compact lately, my G-21 is just too big and can't find a decent holster for it. It has that Pickitiny Rail so standard G-21 holsters wont work.

Guest Bronker
There's an 870 that holds 7 in mag?

- OS

Who are you? The "Tactical Weapons Technical Specifications" POLICE?

I'm feeling a Thread Title coming on...

Chief.

my edc and my hd is the same caliber, I just have a fullsize for hd that keeps a light on all the time. Then the subcomp thats my edc stays put up till time to leave... Bottom line its nicer to have a gun that can stay at the house for hd plus like everyone stated more guns!!!!

I carry a snubbie because I can carry it concealed. I would rather have a 12 gauge with me all the time but it just doesn't slip into a IWB or pocket all that well.

Out in public, my EDC is a last resort if I can't hide or run away (best self-defense measures, least chance of bodily injury!)

A house break-in is the worst case scenario. Nowhere to hide or run and a determined foe after me. A house break-in is the SHTF, no doubts about it. I want a 12 gauge.

So-o-o-o, .38 in pocket EDC/Mossberg 500A in bed rack at home. Each is a tool with its own purpose.

Edited by wjh2657
That makes sense, but I would not agree with the AR/AK for HD, at least not where I live. I have houses all around me, and a rifle round has too much penetration. I would be worried about hitting a neighbor or something. I have an AK, and it is easily accessible, but things would have to get really bad for me to grab it for HD.

AK's might would have a little penetration into your neighbors homes unless you're shooting something like ExtremeShock frangiable.

However, it's been shown/proven many times that an AR and it's .223 caliber is excellent for HD/CQB. One of the reasons many Swat and police use the AR platform. Penetration through multiple walls isn't as bad as one would think.

Now.....I carry my G26 and occasionally my G19. Which ever one I'm carrying for the day is usually the one that ends up in my bedside holster. When I'm not at home, my wife has her G19 loaded up and ready to go if she needs it along with being able to get to the secondary back up of either my G19/G26. 2 G17 mags always stay with the bedside holster so no matter who's gun is used, there is always spare ammo and mags available to me and my wife. IF the situation requires it, the Mossberg is an arms lenght away and other firearms/ammo are available as well.....

In closing, the reason people use different handguns for SD and HD is the simple fact that they can afford to. Seriously, some of us can only afford one MAYBE two handguns while others can afford to have 30. Then you have the people who have waaaay to much money and have to buy every new and neat gun on the market because they can......:D