porting a shotgun

my82cam

i'm redoing a shotgun, i'm thinking about porting it before i reblue it. anybody ever try this? it is going to be a home defender gun(winchester 1300 defender) i was thinking about folding a piece of paper and marking holes in it, than draping it over the barrel and marking the holes. that way all the holes will be even. i was thinking about using a 1/8 drill bit, or should i try a smaller size? just a thought to help with recoil

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotgun Mysteries: Which Modifications Work?

I agree, I think porting a shotgun barrel is a "tacticool" thing a good limbsaver is worth 10x more in the recoil reducing dept. But, if you want to do that, I believe your above method will be alright.

I agree. I have shot many shotguns before and after porting as well as many others that have been ported and I have shot the unported versions and know them well.

I just do not notice enough of a difference to be able to justify porting. In fact the two biggest differences I notice are it makes the shotgun much louder and in low light shooting the redirection of muzzle flash ruins your night vision.

Edited by Warbird
In fact the two biggest differences I notice are it makes the shotgun much louder and in low light shooting the redirection of muzzle flash ruine your night vision.

This was what I was wondering about. I understand the benefits of porting a trap gun. I am not so sure it would be a good idea for a hd gun because of the increased noise and muzzle flash. I am interested in hearing others opinion on this.

Guest Jcochran88

I just do not notice enough of a difference to be able to justify porting. In fact the two biggest differences I notice are it makes the shotgun much louder and in low light shooting the redirection of muzzle flash ruine your night vision.

The only shotgun I have that is ported is for turkey hunting. When you are shooting a bunch of 3.5 mag shells you can notice a difference. But in most situations are you really going to shoot enough to notice? I would think not.

i just talked with a pro gunsmith and he said the muzzle pressure isn't near as high on a shotgun as it is a rifle, so you don't really gain much from doing it. it does make it louder and flash a lot! he also said if you do it wrong, your pattern will be off.

Guest BEARMAN

Very interesting subject. If you do decide to DIY...by all means, please post pics and give us a range report.

Those ports on my Mossberg 835 turkey gun seem to buffer the 3.5" mag turkey loads, just a smidgen...but, that's daylight shoot'n and doesn't affect the night vision factor of a ported HD "alley sweeper".

"Inquiring minds want to know" :cool:

Guest davidz71

I had an 11-87 with 26" barrel ported by a well know company and it was miserably loud while dove hunting. I'm looking for another 11-87 with the same barrel length but I won't port the next one.