To Gen 4, Or Not To Gen 4?

Guest CK1

Just got a an almost new Gen 3 Glock 17 and I'm thinking that maybe before I do my usual stuff to it (sights, connector, shoot thousands of rounds...), I should just bite the bullet and pony up the extra $100-150 and trade it in towards one of the new Gen 4's?

I like Gen 3's and feel totally happy with them, it's just that I've shot them enough to know that if ANY bad habits creep into my technique I end up hitting an inch or two left, just the way it goes for me with the block... Since I'm still shaking off a post-M&P hangover, I'm still keenly aware that I shoot better with less effort with a better fitting grip, and the Gen 4's I've picked up feel pretty awesome (actually a bit better in my hands than the M&Ps do in my hands).

Now, that said, I'm weary of the new recoil spring set-up and am hesitant to deal with any as yet undiscovered problems that might come along with the new design as that's why I gave up on the M&P and went back to the Glock (I just want to shoot, I don't want to speak to customer service people).

Once I start beating up the gun the trade value goes down, so what do ya think, should I just do it and trade to the Gen 4?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like to stay with what's proven and had time to get the quirks tweeked and worked out. After that time, go with what you want. JMHO. Good luck with your decision. I also don't think you'll lose anymore money on trade in later than you'll lose right now, unless you're going to put it through a torture test.

Edited by Shima
I personally like to stay with what's proven and had time to get the quirks tweeked and worked out. After that time, go with what you want. JMHO. Good luck with your decision. I also don't think you'll lose anymore money on trade in later than you'll lose right now, unless you're going to put it through a torture test.

Thanks, that's kind of where I'm at...

Thing is, as far as trading-in is concerned, I'm still kind of conflicted because I just want to set-up a new gun and be done with it rather than doing it twice. Guess if I pick up a Gen 4 and don't like it I won't have any trouble trading it in for a gen 3... it'll just cost me $100+ to experiment since no one's got any for rental around to try out yet.

Might have to just flip a coin...:stalk:

Isn't that the same type assembly that's been in the baby glocks for years?

Yes and No... It's a dual spring set-up like the others, but it's a new design that was mainly designed to help ensure that the LEO favorite G22 .40 model would be reliable with a light attached...

Could possibly be over-sprung for "everyday" fmj non-+P 9mm...

I've actually been scouring the net for range reports on 'em and I'm starting to lean towards taking the plunge and just getting one...

Guest Baddawg865

I want a gen 4 myself, but keep telling myself to wait on the problems to pass.( if there are any) I see myself getting one anyway. Heck, if we don't buy them and try them out, how will we know they have problems? I say go for it!!

Get one in OD green so I can "drool"!!:2cents::yum::drool::drool:

Funny, my new gen 3 is an OD one, was thinking if it had the fish gill serrations it'd be the ugliest gun ever... I could scare BG's to death just by drawing it!

If I can find one (so far I've only tracked down 1 locally and at the price they're asking they can keep theirs... The dealer cost on them is the same as 3rd gens, so while I'm willing to pay a little more due to supply and demand mark-up, I won't pay more than $50 more...).

Guest HexHead
If I can find one (so far I've only tracked down 1 locally and at the price they're asking they can keep theirs... The dealer cost on them is the same as 3rd gens, so while I'm willing to pay a little more due to supply and demand mark-up, I won't pay more than $50 more...).

I'm not sure dealer cost is the same. Not according to things I've seen on the net. Also, all the Gen4 guns come with 3 mags instead of 2.

I'm not sure dealer cost is the same. Not according to things I've seen on the net. Also, all the Gen4 guns come with 3 mags instead of 2.

Hmmm, been looking over at glocktalk for the scoop, and from what I've found they say they're supposed to be priced the same, but, I also found that guys are saying they're coming with 3 mags like you said... so now I don't know (if I get 3 mags I don't mind the price increase too much, I'm just not paying $600 for one, exra mag or not!).

If anyone has seen a Gen 4 G17 or is a local dealer themselves gimmie a shout...

Guest 10mm4me
Hmmm, been looking over at glocktalk for the scoop, and from what I've found they say they're supposed to be priced the same, but, I also found that guys are saying they're coming with 3 mags like you said... so now I don't know (if I get 3 mags I don't mind the price increase too much, I'm just not paying $600 for one, exra mag or not!).

If anyone has seen a Gen 4 G17 or is a local dealer themselves gimmie a shout...

Guns & Leather has a Gen4 G17 for $509

I'm going to find one and as long as someone gives me a decent trade-in I'm going to try one out... I'll be trading a like new OD 3rd gen with factory night sights that's seen a no-BS 50rds only, so if I can drop that, a crisp Benjamin and not much more, and leave with the gen 4, than I've decided it'll be worth giving it a go...

I have handled a Gen 4 G22 and reaally like the grip with small backstrap. The recoil assembly is like the sub-compact models and may be better than the single recoil spring. The mag release also is much larger and seems to be much better for quick mag changes.

You can switch the mag release from left to right with no mods but must have the new ambi mags for this to work. The old mags work with the release on the left.

Overall I thinking hard about one.

For military (active/retired) and LEO's Tennessee Gun Country here in Clarksville has a discount program.

Edited by DWARREN123

Changed my mind on this (even though I had a great offer for my Gen3 that was better money-wise than I would've gotten in trade at a shop)...

I'm skeptical about a couple of the changes enough to where I think it's prudent to hang back and see how the the new Gen4's perform in real people's hands for at least a month or so...

From what I've read (and trust me, think I've read almost everything out there...) paired with my own questions, I think the jury is still out on them, and I'm particularly skeptical of the 17's; two things concern me: the new double recoil spring assembly and the trigger bar changes they made.

The new more robust double recoil spring assembly for the Gen4 G22 kind of makes sense to me as that's Glock's LEO bread and butter and there have been enough documented issues with the guns not running 100% with a light attached to their rails to maybe warrant some attention there (yet interestingly, only in high round guns where presumably the recoil springs were worn and due for a replacement... so really it could be argued that it was just an armorer/maintenance issue, not necessarily a problem with the guns)... Problem is, the 9mm Glocks have been rock solid with their recoil spring assemblies for what seems like forever.

For years now the G22's and G17's have been getting the same exact recoil spring assembly/strength in them from the factory, and many shooters including me find that while the stock spring isn't bad in a G17 it's a bit over-sprung for the 9mm... since I seriously doubt Glock has set-up two different manufacturing lines respectively for the Gen4 G22 and Gen4 G17 recoil assemblies, and from what's been reported thus far, seems like they're continuing their practice of giving both guns the same springs. So, IMO, by changing the G22 to an even stiffer spring, they may have just over-sprung the G17's to a point were their legendary reliability just may be compromised (with no current aftermarket options, it seems up in the air just how well the Gen4 G17's are going to function long-term, especially with softer loads).

Then, there's the trigger bar changes... Charlie Vanek among others have found that the trigger bars in Gen4's are different now with things like some different angles, different shaped holes and guides for the trigger springs, and a bump on the FPS tab. While none of these changes may really add up to anything negatively, guys are already reporting of heavier, grittier triggers than what's usual for a stock out-of-the-box Glock, so who knows just yet...

In general, probably my favorite thing about Glocks is how simple they are... so any change is a big change as far as I'm concerned. So for now it's "wait and see" and I'll be just fine with a Gen3 for the time being.

End tirade.

Edited by CK1