Impact power

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Was sitting back wondering today, which had more impact power a .44 Magnum or .45 ACP? I've always wondered this since I haven't had the chance to ever shoot a .44 and have only shot .45's

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until recently I had a .44Mag revolver. It was an absolute BEAST! Shooting it along with my .45ACP SA and the .44MAG gets my vote on the "BIGGER BANG" scale. I think the .45ACP is a better defense round but the .44MAG has more power, impact and penetration.

Depending on the loading the .44 can have 3-4 times the muzzle energy of a .45

230 Speer Lawman @830 fps. 352 ft.lbs. for the .45ACP

240 JHP @ @ 1500fps. 1200 ft.lbs. in the .44

this was closest bullet weight I could find to give not quite "apples to apples" but close to show how different these 2 are...

John

The 44 mag hurts my teeth. I know on that old "one shot stop" chart the 357 beats the 44 mag but all the ballistic data indicates that the 44 mag beats the 45acp. I shoot a Taurus Raging Bull with a 6" ported barrel. It's very accurate, I'm big enough to hold it, but it hurts my teeth when I shoot it.

Dirty Harry says in the movie "Magnum Force" that he shoots a "44 special light load." They way he says it leads one to believe it is a 44 magnum, special light load.

If you want mag power in a semi-auto, get a 10mm

Or this:

DE_MattBlack.jpg

If you get it in .50 AE, you'll exceed the power of the .44 mag and 10mm.

CartridgeComparison.jpg

You're not gonna pocket-carry that setup though. :biglol:

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest 1817ak47

my friend has a 44 mag hunting rifle, it shot a hole thru both sides of a empty 20lb propane tank, and those aren't thin steel, we could see in the distance the open hole, would likely go thru someone if you shot them, but there wouuld be less power from a shorter barrel

Ya just gotta ask yourself....which one would I rather be shot with? That will tell you which one of them is not a big enough caliber.

Only one answer to that: NONE OF 'EM!

Even a little .22 can kill you or cripple you for life.

J.

Jamie, can you show us a pic like that for rifle rounds?

Not really, given the number of rifle cartridges there are in existence.

The closest I can get is to "borrow" this one from Cabela's:

s7_610020_imageset_01?$main-Large$

They'll sell you a whole board full'a rifle rounds.

Rifle Cartridge Board

Sorry.

J.

Guest jackdm3

All I have are 30-06s and .22s. I'm looking to get educated on the rifle options. I got lost when everyone went beyond .223s with the 5.xx or the 6.xx. No idea what ya'll are talking about with those.

All I have are 30-06s and .22s. I'm looking to get educated on the rifle options. I got lost when everyone went beyond .223s with the 5.xx or the 6.xx. No idea what ya'll are talking about with those.

Best bet is to buy yourself a good reloading manual.

I've got 2 that I keep handy: The Speer reloading manual No.11 and The Hodgdon Data Manual, 26th edition.

Between those two, I have info on all but the newest rounds. ( No .327 mag, for instance. )

That's the best way to get educated on all the various rifle and pistol cartridges.

J.

Guest Muttling

+1 to most of the previous posts.

My brush gun is a .44 Mag Deerfield.

While I dearly love my .45's and they have great hitting power, the .44 Mag is a BEAST.

Edited by Muttling
Guest Muttling
I grew up watching Dirty Harry and the .44 Magnum is the most powerful handgun in the world...it'll take your head clean off. :cool: Anything else is just a pretender.

I require a Model 29 S&W. :doh:

In my best Arnold voice from Red Heat....

"Russian 10mm is most powerful handgun in world."

Guest sigsbird

I have, on order, a new model Guncrafers is making. It is a 4.25" 50 caliber 1911. It should be available in the next few months. I now have their 50 caliber government model. It is not as much a beast as you might think.