Which gun next?

Hello, just looking for advice on my next purchase. I currently have a XD9, service model that I absolutely love. I recently got my permit, and was thinking about buying a smaller carry gun, I really like the xd40 subcompact. But at the same time, I would like to also pick up a judge, probably the public defender. It will soon be turkey hunting season, and I would like to have me a good "snake gun". I can't afford both guns, so what would you guys do? Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What to do? What to do? Been there often. However, I really like my xd9sc, and have thought about a .40 sc. But, as much as I like Springfields, I'd probably reach for the Taurus. Why? 9mm-.40? Too similar. Don't get me wrong, I have a couple of .40's and like them. But under your conditions;...Look out snakes!

Now, even as a Taurus fan, I say check the Taurus sites. There have been some issues with the Judge series. Enough that you need to check them out very thoroughly before buying. Don't let me talk you out of it, just go into it eyes wide open.:2cents: JMO

I also spend a lot of time in the woods and I've known 2 people who have been bitten by venimious snakes. Recently I posted a question about 9mm snake shot shells. Most folks said they should cycle my Glocks just fine. I plan to test some soon. Instead of buying a "snake gun", I'd rather carry a familiar gun with 1 or 2 rounds of snake shot on top of the mag. I'd vote for you to get a subcompact version of your carry gun. You'll probably get much more use out of it.

Edited by JReedEsq
I also spend a lot of time in the woods and I've known 2 people who have been bitten by venimious snakes. Recently I posted a question about 9mm snake shot shells. Most folks said they should cycle my Glocks just fine. I plan to test some soon. Instead of buying a "snake gun", I'd rather carry a familiar gun with 1 or 2 rounds of snake shot on top of the mag. I'd vote for you to get a subcompact version of your carry gun. You'll probably get much more use out of it.

I was reading about rat shot, in the 22lr, apparently it won't cycle semi autos. I'd be awfully worried about putting it in my 9mm.

Guest HexHead
Hello, just looking for advice on my next purchase. I currently have a XD9, service model that I absolutely love. I recently got my permit, and was thinking about buying a smaller carry gun, I really like the xd40 subcompact. But at the same time, I would like to also pick up a judge, probably the public defender. It will soon be turkey hunting season, and I would like to have me a good "snake gun". I can't afford both guns, so what would you guys do? Thanks

S&W Airweight J-frame makes a great pocket gun and I'm pretty sure you can get .38 Special snake loads.

I'd hardly consider a Public Defender as a concealed carry pistol. Maybe with a shoulder holster, but that would be about it.

Guest hickok45

The Judge is an interesting firearm, but other posters are correct; I think you'd get much more use out of the XD subcompact. I looked at The Judge a couple of times in various shops and gun shows. Seems to me the cylinder doesn't lock up all that tightly. In fact, I found some threads on gun forums confirming this issue. Never know how much it affects the gun or how much it's exaggerated, but it just didn't seem solid to me.

This is the same dillema I have, a longer list of guns I want than of money I have.

I vote to get a smaller more concealable 9mm. Adding a .40 means another, more expensive type of ammo to deal with. Or if not another 9mm, I've only heard good things about the judge as a snake gun, which sounded like it might be what you want.