G26 vs G19 for CC - any difference

I've decided on a Glock for a carry gun. I have a P3AT for those times when I can't carry the Glock.

Is there any real difference between carrying a G26 concealed vs a G19?

All other issues aside, I'd rather have the G19.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Joe

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided on a Glock for a carry gun. I have a P3AT for those times when I can't carry the Glock.

All other issues aside, I'd rather have the G19.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Joe

Any difference? yes....Obviously the G19 is a lot bigger and therefore going to be that much more difficult to conceal. If your build allows you to conceal the G19 and you like it more then go for it.

I personally would not want to carry a gun that big because I'm a smaller guy and can't conceal as easily as others. The G19 will probably be more fun to shoot but if you get the pinky extension for the G26 it could be a dream.

With the +2 extension the length of the butt is the same as the G19, so really the only thing smaller is the barrel length, for pocket carry , the G26 no contest, for IWB or OWB , without the extension, the G26 is less to print, with the extension it's a "wash'. For me the G26 shoots just as good, if not better than the G19, I think that has to do with the dual recoil spring in the G26.JMO, if you like the way it fits your hand, (a lot do, a lot don't ), "Dog Ugly", they just work, ether one is a good choice.

I couldn't decide between the 2 either so I had to get both. I definitely shoot the 19 better. To me the big advantage the 26 has for carry is that you can squeeze it into a pocket with the right pocket holster. I recommend the AHolster. It was recommended to me by Leroy here on TGO and I can't imagine another pocket holster that would work well with a G26. It is big for pocket carry and the AHolster works because the Kydex is stiff enough to stay open and it is hooked so that if you train your self to pull outward just a little it will stay in your pocket. Of course this only works if you don't wear tight jeans. Personally, I suits all week and a lot of khakis or cargos on the weekend or other times. They usually will accomodate the G26 just fine. If something is casual enough for jeans I could probably go untucked, in which case either of the guns will IWB just fine. I think if you will go IWB and untucked just about anyone can carry a G19 about the same as a G26. I've only had the 26 a few weeks now and I've still been carrying my 19 IWB most of the time. This will probably change when the weather changes and I want to be able to take my suit coat off alot. Finally, I have no plans to get an extension for my 26. If you are only going to shoot with an extension you might as well get a G19.

All things said, if you plan to keep your P-AT, you might as well get a 19 as a primary carry. However, for me I've found I feel alot more comfident with the 26 as a pocket gun since I can shoot it much better than anything smaller.

If you can't conceal the 19 you can't conceal the 26. I carried the 19 and consider it the perfect carry size. Like other have said, pocket carry is the only real advantage of the 26. I prefer the compromise of capacity over size for the vast amjority of carry scenarios.

i have no problems concealing most any handgun with the proper holster and belt. i think most people who carry obsess over it much more than any casual onlooker in the grocery store.

my daily carry is a 5" 1911. i have carried a glock 34 and 35 as well in the past. that said, if i already had a P3AT, id probably go with the 19. its a great all around gun and a good comprimise. you already have a pocket/ankle gun so get a step up from that, not another pocket gun.

i cc my g19 all the time and its fine, i always wanted a sub and when comparing the two side by side it just wasnt a big enough difference for me. went on glocks website and compared the dimensions, same width iirc the length diff was like 3.6 vs 4 and that dont sell me. add the pinky and their virtually the same to me. if someone say wanted to buy me one for my bday...i wouldnt turn up my nose but i personally wouldnt shell out the dough for one unless i had excess funds.

The stock 26 is shorter both front to back and mag base to rear sight. Add a pinky extension, and the 26 is about the same length along the FRONT of the grip, but the butt is still shorter. Think of a bobtail 1911. A 26 w/ pinky extension is a bobtail 19 with a 3.5" barrel. I carry both and the subcompact is definitely easier to hide. That said, I like the 19 better.

Guest mikedwood

For me the G19 looks like I'm trying to conceal a bus. The G26 is a perfect carry size. As far as shooting I love them both.

I think the G26 has a little less recoil.

I have no problem concealing a G19 in an IWB holster as long as I make allowances for it in the clothes that I wear. I don't have to wear anything super baggy, but it can't be tight either. This really depends a lot on your body type/size. I'm 6'0 230lbs.

That said, even if you do print a little, people aren't going to notice as much as you would think. Most people are walking around oblivious to their surroundings most of the time.

No, not really.

For most guys to shoot a 26 as well as a 19 they need the +2 or +3 extention and then they're just about the same size... The finger grooves on a 26 a spaced more roomy than a 19's, more like a 17, that's the only real difference IMO.

If concealability is more important than shootability than a 26 may be the better choice but that's up to you, neither are hard to hide if you're smart about it really though...

Guest 10mm4me
For me the G19 looks like I'm trying to conceal a bus. The G26 is a perfect carry size. As far as shooting I love them both.

I think the G26 has a little less recoil.

No, the G20 is trying to conceal a bus, but I do it, I carry the G19 most of the time and find it to be the perfect EDC gun. Also, how does a smaller, lighter 9mm have more recoil than a larger, heavier 9mm?

Wish you were closer to Smyrna. Id let ya fiddle with mine.

Im 5'11 180lbs, and it not unusual to see me wearing AE,holister, Old Navy, or other form fitting clothes. My Girlfriend will often ask me where my wife(glock 19) is when we go out most of the time, unbeknown to her it is sitting in my Kholster at the 5 oclock position. You will be fine with the 19.

Wish you were closer to Smyrna. Id let ya fiddle with mine.

Im 5'11 180lbs, and it not unusual to see me wearing AE,holister, Old Navy, or other form fitting clothes. My Girlfriend will often ask me where my wife(glock 19) is when we go out most of the time, unbeknown to her it is sitting in my Kholster at the 5 oclock position. You will be fine with the 19.

Same here. Im 6'0 150 and I can hide it easy.

No, the G20 is trying to conceal a bus, but I do it, I carry the G19 most of the time and find it to be the perfect EDC gun. Also, how does a smaller, lighter 9mm have more recoil than a larger, heavier 9mm?
I think that's more about "felt recoil". Maybe because the 26 is so small, at least in my case I tend to get a tighter grip, that combined with the dual recoil spring set-up and the fact that mine groups the 115gn rounds better, ( my 19 likes the 124gn. ) I get quicker double tap times. Guess it's just all about perception. Hope that helps.