For those whose EDC is a revlover...

The Spare Mag thread by Shima got me thinking.

How do you carry spare ammo? A speed loader seems a little bulky for pockt carry. I don't want to carry loose ammo in my pocket. So how does everybody else carry spare ammo for a revolver?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

How do you carry spare ammo? A speed loader seems a little bulky for pockt carry. I don't want to carry loose ammo in my pocket. So how does everybody else carry spare ammo for a revolver?

I have a speed loader but rarely carry it. You might want to try a speed strip. Not the bulk of a a loader and no loose ammo in your pockets.

Probably in something similar to this.

Bianchi 7301 Speedloader Pouch 17400. 17400. Bianchi Pouches.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=775937

When I took the Advanced Concealed Carry class, Dustin let me borrow his speed loaders and speed strips for my J frame that day. I liked the flat easy concealment of the strips. I carry my J frame often times in the SmartCarry holster which has a side pocket that those strips would slip right into. He also had little belt clips that hold the speed loaders which worked well also as long as you aren't showing your belt. I think the strips are the way to go for concealment though, however the loader is faster.

I carry my J-frame in a belly band, under a tucked shirt.

Either a Safariland speedloader in right front pocket (with my keychain and many keys I barley notice it) and/or a speed strip in the watch pocket of my jeans.

Two additional speed strips are in the mag pockets of the belly band. I don't notice them, either.

I use Hornady XTP or critical Defense in the revolver only, and cheaper JHP for the reloads - they suffer more wear and tear from pocket carry than the rounds in the cylinder.

I have speedloaders and a double speedloader carrier that I can wear on my belt for the six shot .357 snub but I don't carry that one, much. Lately, my most common EDC has been my Rossi five-shot .38 Special. It's been solid and reliable but the one annoying thing is that the five shot speedloader I bought for it won't work very well. The rubber factory grips, which make it extremely easy to control, are too thick to allow the speedloader to be positioned correctly. I ended up getting a couple of Bianchi speed strips. It is very easy to carry one (or even two, depending on the jeans) of these in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans. As others say, not as fast as speedloaders but this at least gives me quick access to five or even ten more rounds in a package that is easier to carry and much easier to conceal than a speedloader carrier.