Mexican Loop

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have got to try your hand at making holsters! It is a blast!!!!

Alright, you talked me into it! :rock:

I was looking at the tools on Tandy's website last night. They have a store about 25 mins from me in Chattanooga. Is it best to order the leather online? I would like to try it.

Guest jackdm3

This is the perfect place for me to ask this. My Galco OWB was black and after using it while working on houses, the shiny black is down to raw scuffed leather. What can I do for this?

Guest BEARMAN
This is the perfect place for me to ask this. My Galco OWB was black and after using it while working on houses, the shiny black is down to raw scuffed leather. What can I do for this?

Hey Jack...I'm no expert, by any means, but you can get a small bottle of black leather dye and a dauber from Tandy Leather and re dye it black...may take a few coats to make it blend like you want it, let it dry good and put some mink oil, or neetsfoot oil on it to preserve it and give it some shine.

Bearman

Guest jackdm3

And that will deal with all of the "fur" that's been raised? I used a Kiwi foam pad a couple of times, but it didn't last long before browning again.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest BEARMAN
And that will deal with all of the "fur" that's been raised? I used a Kiwi foam pad a couple of times, but it didn't last long before browning again.

It won't do much for the "raised divots" in the leather...but it will cover the brown that's showing now, and should do better than the kiwi pads.

multiple coats will make it take longer to get down to the original color of the leather underneath, and if it does...then just re dye it again.

Bearman

Alright, you talked me into it! :)

I was looking at the tools on Tandy's website last night. They have a store about 25 mins from me in Chattanooga. Is it best to order the leather online? I would like to try it.

JDLawhon.com - Holstermaking 101

Cowboy Holster Tutorial - Leatherworker.net

I'd suggest you look these over before making your voyage to the leather store. I'll warn you; you'll make several trips to the leather store if you're like me. It's addictive. Good luck and show us what you've done.