Fourth grader suspended over LEGO toy gun

jgm219

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is a school teacher and we talked about this last night. I told her when I was a kid I sang this song to my teacher

"glory glory halleluja teacher hit me with a ruler....met her at the door with a loaded 44 and she ain't my teacher anymore......."

she told me I would be suspended and ordered to have a psyc evalution if it was today. My teacher just laughed at me then. Times have changed in 20 years.

We sang about dead teachers to the tune of "On Top of Old Smokey" too and we never had to put up with that crap. My son read it and said, "Holy Crap. A policeman and fireman lego. I guess they don't want us to grow up to be in rescue units." I agree, twenty years has changed more than I care for. No wonder we home school.

"It's crazy," Ms. Timoney told the Advance, "He's missing class time, all for silly toys. The boys are just trying to relax. If there's a real threat, why not call the Police Department?"

Yeah. Call the Police. They should be the ones that were responsible for securing such a dangerous weapon.

The principal can evaluate if the weapon looks realistic before considering suspension.

Apparently this principle was not qualified to evaluate the weapon in question! It seems that would have taken some good ole common sense and she is obviously lacking that.:koolaid:

Guest Muttling

As a teacher, I can definitely say this is some stupid crap.

DO make a big deal of it. DO call the parents and make sure the kid doesn't do it in the future. But suspend the kid?????

As for the folks who grew up thinking it was cool to sing about killing your teachers, remember......we have students who actually DO those things in this day and time. I also don't know what was wrong with your teachers.......when I was growing up, my butt would have been worn out at school and then again at home for singing such a thing. When I got back wrestling practice, I'd be running laps and doing Roman Chairs for hours.

As a teacher, I can definitely say this is some stupid crap.

DO make a big deal of it. DO call the parents and make sure the kid doesn't do it in the future. But suspend the kid?????

As for the folks who grew up thinking it was cool to sing about killing your teachers, remember......we have students who actually DO those things in this day and time. I also don't know what was wrong with your teachers.......when I was growing up, my butt would have been worn out at school and then again at home for singing such a thing. When I got back wrestling practice, I'd be running laps and doing Roman Chairs for hours.

I'm not saying we never got our licks from our teachers; matter of fact I still hold a fond spot for my seventh grade Social Studies teacher Mrs. Reynolds who did just that. I don't remember school shootings back in the early and mid eighties. Not saying they didn't happen but I don't recall any. Of course, we never had to have cops in schools either and we did get our corporal punishment when it was deserved.

Guest Muttling
On top of old smoky....all covered with blooood. I shot my poor teacher with a 44 slug.

You spew about how you got your licks, but two of you BRAG about singing this as a child and not getting in trouble for it.

FIRST.....Explain to me again why your upbringing was SOOOOOOO much better.

SECOND.....Explain to me why I am the FIRST poster in the forum to have the courae to stand up and say this is wrong.

Don't get to hotty about corporal punishment. I teach high school and I can assure you, we still have corporal punishment in Tennessee. My school has spanked several this year. As I said before, if I had said this....I would have gotten one at school and another at home. The real difference these days is the "at home part."

So much for the courage and morals of an "upstanding, good, christian, conservative" forum. Once again, the forum liberal was the ONLY poster man enough to call bull **** when appropriate. Your quaint little toon was not acceptable in my day, is not acceptable now, and your pride in it demonstrates your upbringing.

Edited by Muttling
Guest Baddawg865

If i'm not mistaking, there wasn't any huge issues back in the hay day!!! Parents actually raised their kids!!! So yeah, it was SOOOOOOOOOO much better,IMHO!!

I'm grateful for you and all the other teachers out there, but that doesn't make you a judge of anyone!

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon

What??? Make a big deal over a 2 inch high lego TOY? To what end? What is to be gained?

If the aim is to teach kids that adults are drone like morons incapable of rational thought, then making a big deal over a 2" high plastic toy is the way to go.

"Zero tolerance" is cowardice practiced by incompetents.

You spew about how you got your licks, but two of you BRAG about singing this as a child and not getting in trouble for it.

SECOND.....Explain to me why I am the FIRST poster in the forum to have the courae to stand up and say this is wrong.

Don't get to hotty about corporal punishment. I teach high school and I can assure you, we still have corporal punishment in Tennessee. My school has spanked several this year. As I said before, if I had said this....I would have gotten one at school and another at home. The real difference these days is the "at home part."

So much for the courage and morals of an "upstanding, good, christian, conservative" forum. Once again, the forum liberal was the ONLY poster man enough to call bull **** when appropriate. Your quaint little toon was not acceptable in my day, is not acceptable now, and your pride in it demonstrates your upbringing.

All due respect I think you going a bit far. Yes I heard the song back in the day and yes my parents told me it was inappropriate but I seriously doubt anyone really meant they were going to actually shoot their teacher or took delight in a true death scenario.

To take some drastic stand on that particular ditty would be the equivalent of what this school did to this poor kid. What he probably never though of in a serious manner or menacing manner he now will. I'd rather him enjoy his ignorant innocence of youth than deal with other grownups personal fears.

Shoot all of our parents would be jacked up on Ritalin and in psychotherapy these days with all the cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, and Davey Crockett they played.

Part of being a kid is learning about stuff they don't understand. I guess thats OK with liberals when they are exploring sex with Ken, Barbie, and Ken's friend Tom but not death and conflict with GI Joe. Maybe that's why they can make babies but not handle a bully.;)

BTW - I also understand times are different for teachers and I understand your reaction, I'm just sad that that is where we are. We've taken their innocence and they are repaying in kind.

Guest Old goat

Amazing. I would love to say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. I remember hearing a while back (don't remember where it was) about a kid getting in BIG trouble for drawing a picture lf a gun at school. But hey, it could have been alot worse, He could have said a prayer or something.

Guest HexHead
What??? Make a big deal over a 2 inch high lego TOY? To what end? What is to be gained?

The gain is to instill in their little heads of mush that guns are bad, evil and even thinking about one will get you into a world of ****. And those kids will grow up and vote and send letters to the Tennessean asking why anyone would need a gun in a restaurant or a park? It's all part of the liberal's game plan.

Kids just aren't kids anymore. they are drugged, un-parented, loose cannons just waiting to go BANG!. I'm not saying this is always the case, there are good parents out there but let's face it, our kids are being raised by tv, computers, video games, cell phones, and the internet.

Think about this.. Any of you ever teased in school? bullied? just plain treated as an outcast? At least when you left school in most cases all that stayed at school and you didn't have to deal with it again until the next school day.

Today our kids are being subject to this abuse 24/7. kids are way too connected. Social networking on the internet, cell phones, video games, all outlets to let things fester, build, and get to a point of BANG!

and if that's not bad enough, let's face it. parents just aren't parents anymore. as parents we are just as connected living our lives on our cells, computers, social networking sites, and in most cases totally disconnected from our kids.

We have absolutly no idea what they are doing or even where they are most of the time. If they are home, that's all that matters.. you have no idea what kind of abuse your kids are being subject to AT HOME!

I dunno what's going to happen in the future.. but things are definetly getting worse as time goes on.

Kids just aren't kids anymore. they are drugged, un-parented, loose cannons just waiting to go BANG!. I'm not saying this is always the case, there are good parents out there but let's face it, our kids are being raised by tv, computers, video games, cell phones, and the internet.

Think about this.. Any of you ever teased in school? bullied? just plain treated as an outcast? At least when you left school in most cases all that stayed at school and you didn't have to deal with it again until the next school day.

Today our kids are being subject to this abuse 24/7. kids are way too connected. Social networking on the internet, cell phones, video games, all outlets to let things fester, build, and get to a point of BANG!

and if that's not bad enough, let's face it. parents just aren't parents anymore. as parents we are just as connected living our lives on our cells, computers, social networking sites, and in most cases totally disconnected from our kids.

We have absolutly no idea what they are doing or even where they are most of the time. If they are home, that's all that matters.. you have no idea what kind of abuse your kids are being subject to AT HOME!

I dunno what's going to happen in the future.. but things are definetly getting worse as time goes on.

Seems the more "connected" we are with the world the less connected we are with each other.

Completely asinine to suspend a kid over such a toy.

When I was a kid, the teacher, if they thought a toy was inappropriate or what-not, would have taken it away and likely returned it at the end of the day. Probably would have made it clear what wasn't to be brought to school.

Only in our nanny-state of today would a kid get suspended for such.

Anyone who thinks this is appropriate or that the child deserves corporal punishment for taking this toy to school has an extremely warped sense of what is appropriate.

Rant much? This kid now and kids then: it was just kids releasing their frustrations and being kids and it wasn't because we wanted that teacher dead. Yeah, we got called on it and sent to the principal's office or had to stand up and write on that black board "I will not sing such songs in class". Twenty years ago it was knives that was the big threat on middle school campuses and now it's 9mm.

You paddle kids at school? Wow, I find that hard to believe; you must teach in a private school because public schools that I've sent my child to have no corporal punishment at all and that includes the surrounding counties. I worked for DCS for five years and I know they swoop down on faculty and schools for doing that. It's sad that the resources were used to investigate truly deserved discipline but that is what happens.

As far as getting one at home; I got a belt for any infraction until my father's arm became tired. I was terrified of my father so please don't play that crap with me. I am not interested in how you do things. Myself and Krull were in fact laughing at the differences in decades and marveling at how back then we sang these songs and got in trouble but we could go to school dressed up on Halloween as The Terminator and nothing happened.

I'm not sure why you push this thought that everyone here is "Conservative Christian"on me because I'm really not interested in hearing what a wonder-political-hack you are for any party. I'm willing to bet you aren't the only liberal on this site but you are probably the only one with a hateful chip on their shoulder.