Speeding !!!!!!

Last Month I got pulled over on Airline Rd in Arlington by the same Shelby Co. deputy within twenty minutes. The second time as he was walking to the car he said, "You ave got to be kidding me!" I replied, "Your telling me" and handed him my license and stated, "Go ahead, just write it up, I deserve it."

He wrote me a warning and said, "I have given you a verbal and a written warning there will not be another."

I hope he runs for sheriff someday. I will volunteer to work on his campaign.

Therefore, contrary to what I believed, there is at least one kind and reasonable cop within 25 miles of Memphis. That would have probably never happened in Bartlett.

Edited by gts
spelling
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold my mustang because I drove too fast all the time. I have a truck now and as soon as I hit the speed limit, I set cruise and don't touch the skinny pedal unless my life is on the line. I don't want or need any more tickets on my driving record. I am one year away from a clean record for the first time in the 11 years that I have been driving.

That would have probably never happened in Bartlett.

Hey! I resent that. Being assigned to the traffic division, outside of investigations of critical / fatal crashes, we are expected to write tickets. I write, on average, 80 to 100 tickets a month (which is about 4 to 5 a shift or 1 every couple of hours). But, our administration doesn't differentiate between warning tickets and real ones, so I generally tend to turn in 50 to 60 warnings a month and 20 to 30 real ones. They don't care if you generate revenue as long as you can show you're out there working.

And another thing I can say is that we don't write bull:poop: tickets like our large municipal neighbor (who actually wrote my next door neighbor for 37 in a 35). I watched a rookie bring a ticket for 40 in a 35 into Judge Marr's courtroom a couple of years ago and I thought the judge was gonna go insane. He made it clear to the officer that he does not often see and did not "expect" to see another ticket in his courtroom for less than 10 over.

It all comes down to attitude of the driver. Of course, with me anyway, an NRA or RangeUSA sticker don't hurt...

Hey! I resent that. Being assigned to the traffic division, outside of investigations of critical / fatal crashes, we are expected to write tickets. I write, on average, 80 to 100 tickets a month (which is about 4 to 5 a shift or 1 every couple of hours). But, our administration doesn't differentiate between warning tickets and real ones, so I generally tend to turn in 50 to 60 warnings a month and 20 to 30 real ones. They don't care if you generate revenue as long as you can show you're out there working.

And another thing I can say is that we don't write bull:poop: tickets like our large municipal neighbor (who actually wrote my next door neighbor for 37 in a 35). I watched a rookie bring a ticket for 40 in a 35 into Judge Marr's courtroom a couple of years ago and I thought the judge was gonna go insane. He made it clear to the officer that he does not often see and did not "expect" to see another ticket in his courtroom for less than 10 over.

It all comes down to attitude of the driver. Of course, with me anyway, an NRA or RangeUSA sticker don't hurt...

I worked on a small department where the Chief told me he'd be happy with just one ticket per shift. We wrote no chicken-:P tickets either, but in Nashville the officers have no problems with those or trumping-up tickets. The judge doesn't even care if they follow case law or NHTSA training guidelines.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded
Last ticket I got was for 67 in a 55... Plus I got bitched at 'cause I didn't tell the trooper I was an ex-deputy, before he wrote the ticket. :-\

About 5 years ago I got pulled over by THP on 111 coming back from Chattanooga. Officer provided his name, took my info and went back to his cruiser. The whole time I'm thinking "I know that name....." I take my ticket like a man and didn't let on that I was prior LEO. Continuing on I kept looking at the ticket and then it hit me, I had stopped this guy and his wife a couple years before, he provided his badge, and I wished him and his wife a happy evening. I would have tried to say something to him after the fact but it had been a couple of weeks and THP sends their tickets in not to be recalled. Oh well, lol.

And another thing I can say is that we don't write bull:poop: tickets like our large municipal neighbor (who actually wrote my next door neighbor for 37 in a 35)... Of course, with me anyway, an NRA or RangeUSA sticker don't hurt...

Granted, point taken. I digress. Please forgive.

Guest drv2fst

I used to speed all the time. Always drove fast cars. I even got pulled over once doing about 160+. The (very nice) officers said "we were pacing with you at 110 and then you just left us like were were standing still". The let me off with a warning.

A few months later this wreck cured me of my speed addiction. Someone estimated that I was going over 140 when the wheels left the pavement. I got all 4 wheels off and landed when something cracked and I could not control the car. I tried to slow down and keep it on the road but just could not regain control.

I haven't bought a fast car to replace it. I drive an SUV now. I keep thinking about fast cars from time to time. When I get close to buying one, I just look at my 3 kids and decide I had better stay alive as long as I can. : )

Edited by drv2fst
added stuff
Granted, point taken. I digress. Please forgive.

Forgiven :)

The main difference between the 'burbs and Memphis is that you actually see consistent traffic enforcement in the suburbs. Versus the MPD cops who will spend 15 minutes of their shift in one spot and write the first 3 cars doing anything over the limit so they can have some tickets to turn in.

There's no point in writing the cheesy tickets anywhere. All you have to do is wait a minute and somebody will come along at 12+ over the speed limit. When I was a kid, it seemed like everyone knew that you 'better not speed in Bartlett'! Now I can go just about anywhere in the city and find someone hauling butt within just a couple of minutes.

This immediately makes me think of that bastard Deputy Selby!

I believe the Selby you're referring to was MPD. He finally got retired. I say "got retired" because I don't think he was 100% ready to retire.

The only well-known Deputy Selby was George Selby who was shot and killed 12/04/2002 while serving a warrant. I never knew him, but have yet to meet anyone with a bad word about him. I don't believe he was related to MPD's Ofc. Selby.

Guest jackdm3

MPD Selby was the moto-cop. He was courteous as he gave me the ticket. He was the one hanging on the side of the doctor's convertible and barged into the ER during an op.

How in the world can you write for 2 miles over? I have never written for less than 10 over. I write about 10 warnings for every ticket I write. I only have 4 tickets this month, and I only wrote them because they had other things besides speeding going on. I always write for financial responsibility.

It was one of the MPD ward cars. Wouldn't have believed it had I not seen the ticket. She said that the officer told her to go to court and they'd dismiss it.

Seems to be a common practice in Memphis since their judges apparently have a policy of dismissing any ticket that's less than 5 over. The MPD officers also reduce a lot of tickets (ie- you get stopped for 55 in a 40, but they write you for 45 in a 40). I don't have a problem with reducing tickets, but stopping someone, let alone writing them for less than 10 over is ridiculous!

Guest manofsteel

last ticket i got was 72 in a 55 ohio state police. cost me 65.00 on the spot. or follow him to the station.???? i paid up but that was in 1985. not pulled over since. lucky or just slow:p

Guest Gene83
I used to speed all the time. Always drove fast cars. I even got pulled over once doing about 160+. The (very nice) officers said "we were pacing with you at 110 and then you just left us like were were standing still". The let me off with a warning.

A few months later this wreck cured me of my speed addiction. Someone estimated that I was going over 140 when the wheels left the pavement. I got all 4 wheels off and landed when something cracked and I could not control the car. I tried to slow down and keep it on the road but just could not regain control.

I haven't bought a fast car to replace it. I drive an SUV now. I keep thinking about fast cars from time to time. When I get close to buying one, I just look at my 3 kids and decide I had better stay alive as long as I can. : )

That looks like it was a pretty nice Porsche at one time. Glad you are still here with us.

last ticket i got was 72 in a 55 ohio state police. cost me 65.00 on the spot. or follow him to the station.???? i paid up but that was in 1985. not pulled over since. lucky or just slow:p

I think some Memphis officers might use the same policy :D