Help me customize my 1911

Guest Rugerman

This is my Springfield 1911 mil-spec. It started as a stock gun. I added:

1. 3 hole, light, long trigger

2. trigger job

3. 19lb mainspring

ended up with a 4.5lb trigger pull. very little travel or reset

4. wilson combat commander size drop in grip safety. fitted GS no filing on the frame.

5. commander hammer

6. Ed Brown flat mainspring housing

7. better sights, larger white dot.

8. wood double diamond grips, it had alumagrips

Did all but the trigger job myself. found most items on ebay or in forums. This is my fav gun.

1911e1.jpg

1911e3.jpg

If you have the cash and time, have the SA custom shop do it. They do great work.

Edited by gotigers
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is just me but if you are going to have someone else do it just sell it and buy a SA Loaded saves you time and money.

some of us dont care for the front serrations.

Plus some of us can't just throw $800-900 on a pistol at once. I bought mine for $475, used shot very little. I spend about $250 over a few months. $725 over 3 months. bonus i got to do some of it myself.

Edited by gotigers
In that case - definitely give Jeff a call, first! You won't be sorry - he does such outstanding work, and will guarantee anything, as well.

Listen this is probably more advantageous than we could say. If you have any issues, want something to function differently then you just take it back down there. He is fairly close to Dayton I believe.

Guest Rugerman
some of us dont care for the front serrations.

This is one MAJOR reason. PS, great looking gun. Who did the matte finish for you?

Listen this is probably more advantageous than we could say. If you have any issues, want something to function differently then you just take it back down there. He is fairly close to Dayton I believe.

While I have no doubt that he will stand behind his work, proximity will be a non-factor as I am moving this week. :D I will have to ship my gun to him.

This is one MAJOR reason. PS, great looking gun. Who did the matte finish for you?

While I have no doubt that he will stand behind his work, proximity will be a non-factor as I am moving this week. :D I will have to ship my gun to him.

It will cost you a minimum of about 90 bucks I would say to ship the gun to and from hero gear unless you used an ffl. Springfield paid for my shipping there I just paid a flat rate of 30.00 to have it sent back. Printed out the call tag, boxed it all up slapped the tag on there and dropped it off at that ups store next to howard johnson there in Spring city.

Guest Rugerman
Who did the matte finish for you?

stock, top and bottom matte, sides brushed.

Is that the factory finish or did you have it redone? The matte sections on mine are horribly done. I am going for a nice satin finish for the whole pistol.

it is a factory finish, I edited my last post. Although, when i got mine, used, the brushed sides had some idiot blimishes. I stripped the gun, used a green scotch brite pad with gun oil and i polished out all of the blimishes. Just go with the grain as you stroke. Don't do this on the matte finish. It will leave a bright spot.

The stock matte finish is not very good on mine either. If you want a good matte finish, the SA custom shop does one hell of a job. I have seen a few they have done and they look great. That, a light dehorn and you good to go.

It will cost you a minimum of about 90 bucks I would say to ship the gun to and from hero gear unless you used an ffl. Springfield paid for my shipping there I just paid a flat rate of 30.00 to have it sent back. Printed out the call tag, boxed it all up slapped the tag on there and dropped it off at that ups store next to howard johnson there in Spring city.

Im sure we can figure out a way to reduce his shipping costs...:D

Jeff is in the shop today, so feel free to contact him regarding your build project.

You can also email him at JeffM<at>hero-gear.com

Guest Rugerman
Im sure we can figure out a way to reduce his shipping costs...:P

Jeff is in the shop today, so feel free to contact him regarding your build project.

Just got off the phone with him. Folks, you won't talk to a nicer smith than this guy. Calling around to other places I got a lot of attitude and hurried conversations, but Jeff spent the time talking to me and giving me his input. Plan to do some parts shopping this weekend and ship this baby to him by next Friday.

:D

Just got off the phone with him. Folks, you won't talk to a nicer smith than this guy. Calling around to other places I got a lot of attitude and hurried conversations, but Jeff spent the time talking to me and giving me his input. Plan to do some parts shopping this weekend and ship this baby to him by next Friday.

:)

Alright! I can't wait to see what you end up with.

Guest Rugerman

Ok, now that I have the big stuff lined up to be done, help me with the finish work.

Let's start with grips. Where should I look first? I'd like to have two sets.

1. Cocobolo checkered wood.

2. I'd like a really nice set of smooth dark grips as well. Almost black.

Point me in the right direction!

Im sure we can figure out a way to reduce his shipping costs...:)

That would be great if you could. I know sometimes ffl can ship to another ffl or anywhere for free.