Vehicle carry options separate from your EDC rig?

Guest broncobuddha

Smith, satisfy the curiosity and let us see what all that thing will hold! I'd be curious how close that you could get that thing to being a mini-bug-out bag?

Pretty please?!

It's not that big. They have different sizes, though. This one can carry quite a bit if you pack carefully, but mainly smaller things. It would be a perfect mini - BOB. You could fill it with smaller supplies ammo etc. The way it is laid out, you can fit a lot more in it than the actual size belies. I've never loaded it up. Just camera's and kid stuff (food clothes, diapers, ect) it can get pretty heavy. It is ideal for traveling IMO. I, especially like the water bottle pocket. You can get other pockets to strap on it as well. It is pretty modular. BTW it's a whole lot better than a diaper bag! I got 4 kids under 6!:up:

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but is a manpurse like this really any less likely to scream "I'M PACKIN' A GUN!!!" than a Photographer's vest or something of the like?

BTW... I wear a vest of some kind any time the weather is warm, whether I'm armed or not. It's more about the pockets for me, than a cover garment.

J.

Haha! I know what you mean, but i don't think it is as out of place as a photog vest or fanny pack. As long as you don't stick military patches on the Velcro, it fits in with this generations fascination with shoulder bags etc.

Smith, what size gun to you keep in the versipack? I have one that I like a lot but even my 239 is a bit difficult to grab in a hurry. I just wish the concealed pouch was just a tad bigger. I also bought the larger version. It is plenty big enough for the 229 that I keep in there and is much easier to draw out. The rest of the bag is just a little too large to carry out and about though. I wish there was a size in between...

I have a buddy that has 2 little boys. He bought a Patagonia sling type bag to carry a couple of diapers and basically just the minimum needed to go out for an hour or 2. I looked at it pretty hard and thought it would make a good man bag. It doesn't scream tactical at all and is much smaller than a regular backpack.

Mark

If you use the Maxpedition holster you can fit about anything in there, I would imagine. I carry a CZ P07 in it, but my buddies 5 in. 1911 will fit as well. If you try to use some other holster it may not fit. I tried using an Uncle Mikes nylon holster and it added too much bulk, especially length. It made it hard to zip close. I also carry two spare mags in Maxpedition's mag holder in the same compartment. It is very well laid out and thought out IMO.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! I know what you mean, but i don't think it is as out of place as a photog vest or fanny pack. As long as you don't stick military patches on the Velcro, it fits in with this generations fascination with shoulder bags etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I can tell I'm getting old, 'cause the vests don't look too odd to me, but bags and fanny packs stick out like sore thumbs. :up:

J.

Thanks for the reply.

I can tell I'm getting old, 'cause the vests don't look too odd to me, but bags and fanny packs stick out like sore thumbs. :koolaid:

J.

You're not that old. Vest are fine unless they are photog vest or denim. I see one of those I know exactly what they are for.:koolaid: BTW I have been using a vest I got at Sam's this year that is awesome. Thing is WARM, not bulky, weather proof and covers very well. I doubt anyone think guns when they see that. I think whatever you use make it fit the rest of your look and it shouldn't stick out. When I have my bag and 3 kids and a pregnant wife, I'm pretty sure the assumption is it's a manly diaper bag. However, if your effeminate, go with the fanny pack! They'll just think your from San Fan. Best concealment ever! :koolaid:

Edited by Smith
Vest are fine unless they are photog vest or denim.

Well I'm screwed then, 'cause most of mine are photographer's vests, hunting/fishing vests, or one that was labeled a "foraging vest". :koolaid:

During the summer, I'll throw one on over a tee shirt or tank top, and go about my business. Sometimes there's a gun under it, sometimes one in a pocket... and sometimes none at all.

Haven't owned a denim vest in years though... No pockets in 'em to speak of.

J.

Here's a point to ponder...

Think very carefully about what might happen if you were in a wreck. Stuff inside the car can fly fast enough to break windows during a simple fender-bender. The holster needs to be securely mounted and with some type of strong retention feature for the gun. I suspect that's the last thing you'd like tumbling around in the car (other occupants excluded).

Guest Sgt. Joe

I used a very cheap 20 bucks out the door tax and all holster for what I did. It does have a removable retaining strap which I did remove as I felt the only way the gun would come out was in a roll over and that where I live the chances of me needing my gun in a hurry were higher than that of a rollover. If I make an out of town drive I will put the retaining device back on.

For now it will hold all the pistols I own....for now;)

The holster was attached with industrial strength Velcro with the sticky part backed up with a generous amount of super glue. This thing aint going no where. The mag holder is just an old leathermans style tool pouch attached the same way. The Ruger's 17 round mag is pulling a bit on the velcro, as I only used a thin strip for it, but I dont think it will fall off and if it does I will just add another thin strip of velcro to it.

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

Not visible from drivers side, Gun IS in holster in this pic

DSC01062.jpg

While gun is a bit visible from passengers side, 100% of the time I am driving I have a 32 ounce cup in the front part of the console which also opens forward and between the two does hide the gun from view. this pic is also zoomed in and with dark tinted windows it is still hard to see. Of course the gun is never left in the holster when I leave the van. I have a locking box that fits into the locking console if it needs to stay behind.

DSC01063.jpg

Works for me and is pretty much as fast as having it in my hand :mad: