Vehicle carry options separate from your EDC rig?

Guest broncobuddha

Guest broncobuddha

Hello all. Newb member here but I've been lurking for quite awhile.

Just recently got my CCW. Took less than 30 days from printing. Gotta love that.

Anyhow, for me, IWB is probably how I'm going to go concealed, but I have concerns about how to carry in my car.

Comfort aside, strong side appendix or 3:30-4:00 IWB carry is not going to be in the most accessible place should you need your weapon in a hurry (carjacking, etc...)

In a lot of my searches, I've not seen hardly any mention of folks having a separately mounted rig/holster in the car. What are the concerns here? It not being concealed? It being reachable possibly by a car jacker? The idea of the extra holstering/unholstering not preferred?

What I was thinking was wedging my factory Glock holster in between my seat bolster and the console so it's right there for when I'm driving around town. It would more or less be covered from view from either side of the vehicle. Then I would just put it in my iwb holster when I get out.

I know that Desantis makes a seat holster that's basically a version of their Pro-Stealth that looks interesting.

Sorry if this has been discussed ad-nauseum already, I just didn't see anything in my search and I wanted to hear opinions specific to this type of carry.

Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to use my Maxpedition bag for vehicle carry. It is a convenient way to keep it handy and mobile in the car. I've used car holsters in different places, but in my Ford Explorer they were either too visible or to hard to access. With the bag I can grab the bag or holster up when I get where ever I'm going. This also helps in those posted places and if I have to switch vehicles.

Guest bkelm18

I have a cheapo IWB holster that has a metal clip on it. I stick it in the pocket behind the passenger seat. The clip keeps it secure so the gun comes out easily.

Guest broncobuddha

Hmmmm... which Maxpedition bag do you use? Link?

I guess my thoughts are in the case where you need it in a hurry and that's what I'm trying to prepare for. A car jacking will often happen even quicker than a situation out on the street and you may need to draw even faster, not necessarily reach into a bag.

Hmmmm... which Maxpedition bag do you use? Link?

I guess my thoughts are in the case where you need it in a hurry and that's what I'm trying to prepare for. A car jacking will often happen even quicker than a situation out on the street and you may need to draw even faster, not necessarily reach into a bag.

This one. It is holstered in the bags holster compartment and is as easily accessible as any other place in the vehicle if not more since it is right next to me and in easy reach. No reaching under the seat or in some tight crevice.

FATBOY VERSIPACK Tactical Nylon Gear Concealed Carry Shoulder Sling Bag - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

img_5988_1277_detail.jpg

I keep mine in the center console. anything else I have seen is too visible. Now I really dont care if someone else sees it when Im driving alone but sometimes I let people borrow or drive my car or people ride with me that Id rather not know (for ex., teens from my church that sometimes ride with me to church outings, dont know how their parents would react if they knew I carried).

Its a big plus for me if there is a slot or cubby hole large enough to hold the gun when you are in the vehicle, then put it in the console when you are done.

I keep mine in the center console. anything else I have seen is too visible. Now I really dont care if someone else sees it when Im driving alone but sometimes I let people borrow or drive my car or people ride with me that Id rather not know (for ex., teens from my church that sometimes ride with me to church outings, dont know how their parents would react if they knew I carried).

Its a big plus for me if there is a slot or cubby hole large enough to hold the gun when you are in the vehicle, then put it in the console when you are done.

Is it lockable?

Guest broncobuddha

That's a good point about having other people in the car. (aside from those that may know you carry like a spouse)

My center console isn't lockable in my car. I would have a car safe or something to lock it in if I ever needed to leave my weapon in the car. And to me, the center console isn't an ideal place if you needed it in an emergency. (someone busts out your window or manages to yank your door open.)

I'll check that bag out.

my current one is not but Im not too worried about it. I dont brag around to people that I carry and I dont advertise that I carry, unless occasionally wearing my TGO hat is. no NRA stickers or anything. however, my next vehicle is going to be a chevy truck with a 2003+ center console with which you can buy a direct fit console vault

That's a good point about having other people in the car. (aside from those that may know you carry like a spouse)

My center console isn't lockable in my car. I would have a car safe or something to lock it in if I ever needed to leave my weapon in the car. And to me, the center console isn't an ideal place if you needed it in an emergency. (someone busts out your window or manages to yank your door open.)

I'll check that bag out.

UTG makes a copy of that bag (same designer works/ed for both companies) that runs $30. Didn't know that when I got mine. However, I've never had any problems with my Maxpedition. I wanted something that could hold all my stuff in the car and this fits the bill perfectly.

Also,

In my lincoln on the driver and passengers doors the little elbow rest deal flips up to reveal a secret compartment. It is big enough to keep the taurus 85 in which is where it will be kept and I can reach it easy and deploy it easy from there.

I carry cross draw at 10 o'clock all the time. I know , I know I may start a debate, however it works best for me. I can pull my shirt up with my left hand without having to reach across my body to the right and then draw with my elbow all the way to my shoulder. Ergonomically strong side carry just doesnt do it for me. I can also get to it with my left hand and fend off someone with my right arm and leg while getting to the gun.

I have worked with this extensively and it works best for me.

You might consider cross draw in the car.

Guest Bronker
This one. It is holstered in the bags holster compartment and is as easily accessible as any other place in the vehicle if not more since it is right next to me and in easy reach. No reaching under the seat or in some tight crevice.

FATBOY VERSIPACK Tactical Nylon Gear Concealed Carry Shoulder Sling Bag - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

img_5988_1277_detail.jpg

Smith, satisfy the curiosity and let us see what all that thing will hold! I'd be curious how close that you could get that thing to being a mini-bug-out bag?

Pretty please?!

img_5988_1277_detail.jpg

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but is a manpurse like this really any less likely to scream "I'M PACKIN' A GUN!!!" than a Photographer's vest or something of the like?

BTW... I wear a vest of some kind any time the weather is warm, whether I'm armed or not. It's more about the pockets for me, than a cover garment.

J.

Smith, what size gun to you keep in the versipack? I have one that I like a lot but even my 239 is a bit difficult to grab in a hurry. I just wish the concealed pouch was just a tad bigger. I also bought the larger version. It is plenty big enough for the 229 that I keep in there and is much easier to draw out. The rest of the bag is just a little too large to carry out and about though. I wish there was a size in between...

I have a buddy that has 2 little boys. He bought a Patagonia sling type bag to carry a couple of diapers and basically just the minimum needed to go out for an hour or 2. I looked at it pretty hard and thought it would make a good man bag. It doesn't scream tactical at all and is much smaller than a regular backpack.

Mark

Guest peacexxl

IMO you just have to weigh the importance of speed of draw versus concealment. It's the same as carring on body. A cover garment slows your draw to some extent but open carry exposes your business to the world. Decide for yourself what is going to be a happy medium and work it into your routine. I like my center console because it is faster and more comfortable when I am seated in a car. But I also worry about frequently holstering and unholstering. I try to handle my gun as little as necessary in public. Like I said, its a personal balancing act.

I intend to use a blackhawk holster. the paddle and belt clip attachments can be removed leaving threaded bolt holes. I will be using these holes to permanently attach the holster to the right side of the center console, near the shifter. In my truck, this spot is out of the way of the front seat passenger, but easily reached by me.

My only worry, is that it would be somewhat in the open. If I got pulled over, and didn't move it, the LEO might get antsy.

1446-large1.jpg

I carry in the center console of my Ford F150, my Maxpedition Fatboy, and IWB at 3:30 using an Uncle Mikes IWB cheapo holster. That IWB is very comfortable for me. My Rami sits just off the back of the seat. A very comfortable way for me to carry, especially if I'm planning a Wally World Shuffle.....

OH, BTW, I'm in Bristol, TN.. people around here leave their vehicles unlocked with the keys in the ignition... no worries, no problems. I love this place.. full of good people.....

Craig B

I was seriously considering this since I actually ordered a Desantis Pro Stealth.

N92.jpg

That's a really good idea, except for that buckle being where it is.

I'm thinking it would be uncomfortable on a fella's bits 'n pieces... :up:

J.

Guest broncobuddha

Yeah. I'm sure the buckle can be moved forward or rearward for comfort.

Apparently, the site claims that this is a vehicle and ccw rig in one for $52. The Pro Stealth by itself is $39.

I just bought the Pro Stealth. I'm curious if you can go back and buy the vehicle strap?