Anyone messed with This?

Has anyone ever tried this or anything like it? Captain Chris Close Combat Training - Self Defense & Mixed Martial Arts Techniques & Moves, Black Belt & Military Army Training, Street Fighting Tips, Books & DVD. It's on sale for $59 right now.

I've never had any training and right now because of school and finances I can't take any real classes.

If not this one does anyone have any recommendations? I just want to learn some real basics for both me and my wife that we can learn at home.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

IMO, stick with stuff from Kelly McCann/Jim Grover (same guy) and Richard Dimitri...just to name two.

Grover's "Combatives" series and Dimitri's "Shredder" specifically.

Edited by Todd@CIS
IMO, stick with stuff from Kelly McCann/Jim Grover (same guy) and Richard Dimitri...just to name two.

Grover's "Combatives" series and Dimitri's "Shredder" specifically.

Did a little checking on that and it looks like quality stuff. I specifically want this for unarmed defense that I can practice at home. I plan on taking the CIS advanced concealed carry class this spring if I can for armed encounters.

Has any actually used the Jim Grover combative series? I'd like to hear a 1st hand report

Guest Todd@CIS
Has any actually used the Jim Grover combative series? I'd like to hear a 1st hand report

Yes, that's why I recommended it.

Simple, WWII combatives. Simple is better.

• 2 weeks later...

Look Captain Chris has “learned from the Arabian assassins in Egypt, the Israeli soldiers stationed on the West Bank, and the last remaining Samurai” :rolleyes: (and you thought Tom Cruise Missile was the Last Samurai, wrong CPT Chris is!) not only this but his system uses WWII techniques that soldiers for jumping dozens of armed Nazi and elite Japanese commandos...

And Killing Them

With Their Bare Hands!

I know... but even more incredible is... in many cases, these Allied "Super Soldiers" did not even bother using their weapons ("too slow and clumsy", they reported:screwy:).

Instead, they would just use these extremely effective movements they were taught sometimes the night before they were shipped off to battle.

Yeah take that Nazis, that will teach you to bomb Pearl Harbor! Weapons were too slow and clumsy, no need for concealed carry when you have touch of death powers.

Bottom line is CPT Chris is “the "go to guy" for today's most advanced and highly trained military soldiers, mercenaries and other professional killers...”:shrug:

Many people will doubt the mad skilz of CPT Chris but these people have not trained with Japanese Nazi Samurai assassins from Arabia.:bow:

I may not know CPT Chris but I do know that you can sign up friends for his annoying newsletter simply by entering their name and e-mail address on the website. This is even better if you send it to their work e-mail, the gift that keeps on giving. Definitely worth a laugh.

Anyway setsdw you list that you are in Sparta, come on man SPARTA, don't ya'll grow up doing combatives and kicking people down wells? SPARTA, actually surprised CPT Chris didn't train with the last remaining Spartan, oh wait CPT Chris actually trained the Spartans back in the day, CPT Chris was at Thermopalye...the list goes on and on.

Edited by JDM175
SPARTA
Guest earthworm

I have the free advertising vids he'll send you on-line.Some tecnics are quite similar to Dimitri's 'Shredder',but otherwise they're worth what I paid for them.

His ad (see JDM175's post) reminds me of Count Dante's Dim Mak/Death Touch "school": tecnics so deadly they were only sold by ads in comic books.

If you have the time to devote to a martial art I'd recommend Aikido personally, but I've also dabbled in Judo and Ju-jitsu, and came up doing Tae-Kwon-Do. All are good basic martial arts, but alot of people are into the MMA stuff now. Not that it's bad, but I don't want to grapple with someone. I want to hurt them fast and get away.

Now Aikido is nice at work because it's all about control of your opponent and you really only get hurt if you resist it.

Guest expdnarc

Do a search for USJA (united states judo association) you should be able to find a club close to you and if they have a good coach, work with you on a fee. I was out of work for a few months last year and my Sensei took payment for me and my girls in the form of helping clean mats and such one month he took $30.

If you have the time to devote to a martial art I'd recommend Aikido personally, but I've also dabbled in Judo and Ju-jitsu, and came up doing Tae-Kwon-Do. All are good basic martial arts, but a lot of people are into the MMA stuff now. Not that it's bad, but I don't want to grapple with someone. I want to hurt them fast and get away.

Now Aikido is nice at work because it's all about control of your opponent and you really only get hurt if you resist it.

The Army's Combatives program is based on BJJ as taught by one of the Gracie's. The idea is to be able to give yourself time for another soldier to get to you and help.

The Army's Combatives program is based on BJJ as taught by one of the Gracie's. The idea is to be able to give yourself time for another soldier to get to you and help.

May be based on it, but I don't remember doing too much ground grappling in BCT or in the field maunal. I know LAPD teaches BJJ as part of it's course though from what I've heard. I just don't think MMA is very practical for a basic street fighting skill.

I would really stay away from Martial Arts in general as far as defense at home. Even people that have been training for years lose a lot of their speed/technique after a few months lay-off, let alone the amount of training to be profeccient. Knowing the lay-out of your house, and available materials to use as a weapon to help you get to your pistol would be the best bet. Plus you don't know if the BG did drugs. On the other hand, simple clinch/tie-ups to hold and maybe control the BG will let your hubbie get to a pistol and hope she's a good shot. A lot of these clinching moves are free on Youtube.....

May be based on it, but I don't remember doing too much ground grappling in BCT or in the field maunal. I know LAPD teaches BJJ as part of it's course though from what I've heard. I just don't think MMA is very practical for a basic street fighting skill.

The Modern Army Combatives Program is currently taught in Basic as well as BNOC and ANCOC. At the unit level some units take it seriously and train hard others never practice it at all. The lower levels 1 & 2 are devoted to grappling and advanced levels include striking. The grappling portion is more than based on BJJ it is BJJ. Royce and Rorion Gracie gave several seminars to the both 1st and 2nd Ranger Bn back in the late 90s. The entire Army Combatives program grew out of the Ranger Combatives program. This can be evidenced in the current Army Combatives Field Manual located here:

FM 3-25.150 TABLE OF CONTENTS

I say evidenced because all of the photos were taken at 3rd Ranger Bn’s facility and the demonstrators in the photos were Rangers (Matt Larsen and I forget the other).

Many people don’t like the current combatives program but I can see the benefits: it toughens soldiers physically and mentally, it allows 100% sparring, it teaches moves that can be used during EPW control or other situations where non-lethal force is necessary and the force can be turned lethal. As far as MMA being practical I think MMA is more practical than any other style. First MMA is a combination of several styles (hence the mixed part). Second if you train MMA and spar you are actually fighting as opposed to other styles that may rely on form and katas and maybe point sparring. Third while I like jiu-jitsu and judo and they have their place it is hard to execute the moves you learned while getting punched in the face. There is a saying that basically goes like this: you hit a jiu-jitsu black belt in the face a few times and he turns into a brown belt. I think because of these reasons MMA is a viable form of self defense but it is not for everyone. You can’t just go once or twice a week and expect to learn a move or two. It takes a lot of dedication and most people don’t like getting physically beat up.

Well just my two cents.

P.S CPT Chris is the man. Come on he trained with the last remaining samurai:rolleyes: