AK/SK accuracy vs ARs

Sidewinder

Whats the use of the weapon decides the value to me. Kind of want to build a benchrest AK now. Just to do it.:mad:

Krochus on The High Road had a thread going about accuracy testing the 7.62x39 round. I believe he was getting about 1moa out of a bolt gun. The gun was for sale last week. :up:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I find it interesting how these types of threads bring out all the seldom to never post guys." Prob'ly means we should have more of these threads. Eh?

I used to own a couple of ARs, one was junk, one was very accurate but seemed to jam a lot. Since it was "pre-ban" I sold it for a small fortune during a period of unemployment. I was Army trained on the AR Platform back in the dark ages, but just never fell in love with it. That said I'll probably own one again before I die.

I have a MAK90 sporter that I have had since around 94. (I've always felt the MAK90 was the best of the commercial AKs) It has never failed to go bang when I asked it too, no matter how abusive I have been to it. My experience has been that it it almost as accurate as the better AR I owned when using QUALITY (expensive) ammo. I got my best accuracy using Black Hills Gold.

To summarize I think that if you feed a good AR bad Ammo, you get only decent results. If you feed a good AK good Ammo, you can also get decent results.

TK47 (a seldom to never posts guy :2cents:)

Accuracy wise I would say the AR is alot more accurate just for the simple fact of having less drag when in flight and AR 15's typically seem to be built to alot tighter specs than AK's however the accuracy and range of the AR seems to take away from its durability. Im a major AK fan though I do own AR's as well and the reason for my love for AK's is I have seen a weapons cache dug up in Africa where they pulled out a solid rust FA AK I mean the ammo in this thing was even straight junk yet it still fired like it did new I have also seen a FA AK dump so many drums that the gun literally catches on fire yet keeps on ticking as to where with AR's they have a well known problem with overheating and locking up until they cool down.

If I were to be a part of a red dawn scenerio I would tAke the ak in the eastern united states and prefer an ar in the mid west where there are more open ranges so to speak. And hell if California was invaded I wouldn't care until they reached Utah and co.

Also the advantage of an ak during an "invasion" would be abundance of amunition. Heck it would be all over the place. I think jungle warfare the ak is superior and desert-plains warfare you better off with an ar. Just my crappy two cents worth.

Edited by Krull
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest smileyguy

I'll admit that I don't have much experience with the AR platform, but I have shot them. My first time shooting an AR was with an ex Navy buddy of mine. We were having the AK vs AR debate on the way range. He was a huge AR proponent. He lets me fire of a few. He fires a few from my AK. Then we proceed to an iron sight target competition. He wanted to prove how much more accurate the AR was. Before he can get off about 10 rounds the bolt on his $1200 Bushmaster locks up. Of course I lay in to him about it. I tell him "I am not impressed. How can you prove how accurate the AR is if it won't shoot! I can shove dirt and gravel in my AK shake it out and still shoot it." Of course he was understandably ticked off. I let him shoot my AK. At the end of it all he looks at me and says, "Damn, I'm gonna have to get an AK".

The argument that the military uses the AR does'nt make it superior. My best friend as well as others in his unit carried AKs in Iraq. Of course that does'nt make the AK superior either. Though I think that does speak volumes as to the reliability of the AK (especially in the desert) and the more potent 7.62 that American soldiers would choose picked up AKs over their issued weapons.

Killing coyotes at 400 yards does'nt make the 5.56 a great man stopper. Accurate, yes. A stopper, no. If it was such a great stopper at distance the military would'nt have to be issuing M-14s to designated marksmen. Warbird was right though, I couldn't make that shot with an AK. At that distance I would take an AR over an AK, but if I thought I needed something to fight out to 300-400 yards or beyond I'd be looking for a M1A not an AR.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer the AK, but I'm not an AR basher. I love the ergonomics, modularity, and optics options (I'd give my left n*t for a good co-witnessing optic for my AK). Don't like 5.56 and gas impengment. I am actually intrigued by the new piston driven designs, especially in the more potent 6.8. I'd like to get one. The problem is that I could get 3 more AKs for the price.:D

No doubt the AR is more accurate. Flatter shooting round and tighter tolerances. I'd take one in a target match any day, but in the unlikely event of "Red Dawn" or a zombie uprising I'll take my AK. It's accurate enough, 7.62 is definately a better stopper, and it will function no matter what I do to it.

I have both, and also a SKS, and I can say that the AR is the most accurate, but then again it has a EOTech sitting on top. If I got EMP'd, and had to flip up the iron sight, it would be a toss up on accuracy between the AR and the SKS, but the AR would edge out because that's what I am most used to. If you want ruggedness, there is no doubt that the AK is the hands down winner. Nothing stops it. I have loaded empty hulls in a magazine, between live rounds, in order to practice clearing a malfunction, and the darn thing chewed them up and spit them out somehow. Darndest thing I ever saw...

Just to throw some fuel on the fire....

Do not underestimate the 5.45x39 round.

I typically beat my fellow shooters in a game we call 30 on 30.....30 clay pigeons on a mound at 100 yards, 30 rounds in the mag, you see where this goes.

I have defeated Colt's, Bushmaster's, and LWRC's at this game....All AR shooters(my shootin' buddies), who have very nice rifles, nice optics, and some shooting skill. However, the fact Magpul is branded all over their rifles, means (to them) that they are shooting space age laser guns that can't possibly lose to an AK...

With my 5.45x39 Bulgy, I spank them all :bat: Plus, I don't shoot my guns off a bench, If I can smash clay pigeons at 100 yards standing, I see no complaints in the accuracy department.

IMG_2593.jpg

Edited by csaxj3
(I'd give my left n*t for a good co-witnessing optic for my AK). .

Ultimak + Micro Dot = co-witness.

I run a bushnell TRS-25 on an ultimak and it provides a 1/3 lower co-witness.

And yes it stands up to the heat, I've run 2.5 tins (2700 rnds) of 5.45 through it in the past month and a half, no issues.

Check it out.

The 5.45 is significantly different than the 7.62x39 thus the OP was in regards to a '47 as opposed to the '74. That being said I think you make a good point about the shooter as opposed to the gun. In all fairness the AR holds accuracy enhancements that the AK does not. It is also those same "enhancements" that make the AR less reliable and dependable than the AK. It's all trade offs, but it as it usually does it comes down to the shooter and skill within the given platform. A great AR guy will out shoot a great AK guy all things being equal and I LOVE the AK!

Do all the "Micro" red dots co-witness the same? Aimpoint, Fast Fire and others? I'd like to put one on my AK. Already have the Ultimak, but hate to put more in the optic than the gun is worth. I've got a 2x scope on it now just to check the accuracy. Think a dot scope would work better.

Guest smileyguy

I run a bushnell TRS-25 on an ultimak and it provides a 1/3 lower co-witness.

And yes it stands up to the heat, I've run 2.5 tins (2700 rnds) of 5.45 through it in the past month and a half, no issues.

Check it out.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.:rofl:

Do all the "Micro" red dots co-witness the same? Aimpoint, Fast Fire and others? I'd like to put one on my AK. Already have the Ultimak, but hate to put more in the optic than the gun is worth. I've got a 2x scope on it now just to check the accuracy. Think a dot scope would work better.

Good Point here.

I know the primary arms micro dot will not,as the diode emitter is on the bottom, blocking the ability to co-witness.

I know the aimpoints, Bushnell, and Konus will.

I have owned ARs and AKs and they are both decent guns. The AR likes to run lubed up, and there is noticeably less recoil. As far as accuracy under 100yds, they are both about the same. You won't go wrong with either gun.