Carry story at wal mart today

Day is good cruising with the wife.....hit gun rack in kingsport to check out dome AK'S and on the way back it happens. Car making a funny noise and the wife says I think you have a flat. And I did right in front of wal mart so good luck right?

Swing in to the auto area and look closer, sure enough something big in the center tread of my tires and losing air really fast. I talk the lady and get checked in at the tire center and I bend over to grab my drink out of the console exposing my glock 17 in the small of my back.

She stayed calm (she was about 65 or so) and said is that anrevolver you have on you? I said well yea sorta I guess and she said you can't take that inside.......I said sure I can..... She said you need lock it up in the glove box before you go in. I said naaaa that's ok and told her reluctantly I was legally armed and wal mart was carry friendly. She well it's hidden so I guess your al right.

She was my best friend after she came out and told me they pulled a tire balance out of my tread and I would be ready to go in 10 minutes. Hehe.

Edited by Krull
Sorry about the spelling driving with the wife.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Day is good cruising with the wife.....hit gun rack in kingsport to check out dome AK'S and on the way back it happens. Car making a funny noise and the wife says I think you have a flat. And I did right in front of wal mart so good luck right?

Swing in to the auto area and look closer, sure enough something big in the center tread of my tires and losing air really fast. I talk the lady and get checked in at the tire center and I bend over to grab my drink out of the console exposing my glock 17 in the small of my back.

She stayed calm (she was about 65 or so) and said is that anrevolver you have on you? I said well yea sorta I guess and she said you can't take that inside.......I said sure I can..... She said you need lock it up in the glove box before you go in. I said naaaa that's ok and told her reluctantly I was legally armed and wal mart was carry friendly. She well it's hidden so I guess your al right.

She was my best friend after she came out and told me they pulled a tire balance out of my tread and I would be ready to go in 10 minutes. Hehe.

that one turned out good. sometimes we don't realize or expect how people will responde to the fact some of us carry. i had a young man walk up to me the other day, tapped my front pocket and said, "is that where you keep your pistol?". After denying it, he said "well that's a pretty good print you got going on". My Taurus 851 was in a Nemesis pocket holder, didn't think it would print. Always be careful......

that one turned out good. sometimes we don't realize or expect how people will responde to the fact some of us carry. i had a young man walk up to me the other day, tapped my front pocket and said, "is that where you keep your pistol?". After denying it, he said "well that's a pretty good print you got going on". My Taurus 851 was in a Nemesis pocket holder, didn't think it would print. Always be careful......

You should have said "nah, that's my gun, my pistol is in the other pocket, any more questions Liberace?"

I guess I find it more intriguing that you carry a Glock 17 in the small of the back. Never felt comfortable to me, especially while driving.

I'm 6 foot 7 so it isn't much of an issue. Also while driving I keep a blackhawk serpa holster hanging on the back of the passenger side seat and put it in there. Fits nicely and easy access in the pocket flap thing.

DSC_0691.jpg

Edited by Krull
Guest Sgt. Joe

That looks just like my Chrysler van. I mounted a cheap hard leather holster to the console between the seat and console. That type of backward reach that you have is exactly what my pinched nerve injury prevents me from doing so that was not an option for me.

Yours is more visible but can be removed, while mine is much less visible but pretty much permanent (good quality velcro, with super glue added to sticky part of velcro). It is tight fit but leaves just enough room for quick access and the seat moves freely, also the holster will hold several of my pistols. I also mounted an old generic type letherman pouch as a mag holder in the same manner just in front of the holster. The whole thing works really well.:D

Country folk innovation......gotta love it.:D

And yes I know it is all just BS without pics, I will try to remember to get some.

I am glad the lady didnt go all freaky on you and waste your time having to explain "legal" to her manager or worse the manger going freaky and calling the PD.;)

It is always really nice to read of a "good" encounter:)

Thanks for handling it diplomatically instead of going all out insisting on your "rights".

Winning people one at a time is much more effective than alienating and possibly jeopordizing posting the store permanently because one is acting like a dick.

Thumbs up!

I'm 6 foot 7 so it isn't much of an issue. Also while driving I keep a blackhawk serpa holster hanging on the back of the passenger side seat and put it in there. Fits nicely and easy access in the pocket flap thing.

DSC_0691.jpg

nice set up...very easy. and I can duplicate it with my serpa for my xd.

i had a young man walk up to me the other day, tapped my front pocket and said, "is that where you keep your pistol?".

He tapped your pocket? Sorry, but if some dude started to reach toward that....area... of my body, I wouldn't have been to cool with it....

Wal Mart's corporate policy is to allow concealed carry in states where it is permitted by law, but they do not allow open carry in their stores. If you are spotted open carrying, or if another patron sees your gun and complains, a associate is supposed to approach about the concern and request that you conceal the weapon. If you become argumentative, the associate is (and only then) required to ask you to leave.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I just went back and re-read their policy. It can be found at several places on the web. Apparently, this lady was well within her rights.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately."
Edited by rentalguy1