Did anybody else watch Lock n' Load with R. Lee Ermey last night

Guest jsjracing

Guest reaper1880

funny how u all forgot to mention barrel lenght.... yes we marines shot 8/10 at 500 meters but with a 20 inch barrel. the m4 we carried in iraq had a 14.5 inch barrel and was point target at 300 to 350 yards,, hmmm bout the same as a ak. and i have 20/20 vision and shot expert in bothe the marines and army

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Paulie771
funny how u all forgot to mention barrel lenght.... yes we marines shot 8/10 at 500 meters but with a 20 inch barrel. the m4 we carried in iraq had a 14.5 inch barrel and was point target at 300 to 350 yards,, hmmm bout the same as a ak. and i have 20/20 vision and shot expert in bothe the marines and army

I was Guard, so I only know Army quals. How do the Marines do it? Static positions on targets run by the butts like a high power match, or pop up OD targets at unknown but guess-timated ranges like the Army with certain time limits? I ask because I honestly don't know.

I will say that the last year I was on the rifle team, we went to Camp Robinson, Arkansas for the Winston P. Wilson international match and we flat out spanked the Marine teams we shot with. I don't know if they were reserve or what, but their Gunny was none to happy about being waxed by some TN National Guardsman. We finished middle of the road for the entire week, but we brought home some individual awards.

Guest reaper1880

yes marines use targets ran by the butts. we shot standing,siting, kneeling and prone from 200 to 500 meters and then 200 m night fire and 100m gas mask.

200m sitting, kneelin,standin

300m kneelin,sitting

500m prone

Guest rystine
No doubt...and there are 3 levels of "skill" Marksman...Sharpshooter...and Expert...most leave BOOT as Marksman...and can hone their skill later down the training road.

Not really. My platoon had a pretty even mix of the three, if I remember correctly. About 35 of us graduated, and I can think of at least ten of my platoon mates who qualled as experts (myself included :)).

Now when I got to the fleet the percentage of experts did go up quite a bit, from about 30% to about 50%. But the number of marksmen was always low, including bootcamp (at least in my experience). YMMV

Guest Paulie771

So are you guys in full kit when you qual? Is there a time limit per shot or just a set amount of time for each position/distance? No UKD stuff? No pop ups?

I'm asking because I see a difference between the two types of quals. The Army teaches enough marksmanship to get a 25m zero, then focuses on hitting man sized targets quickly at UKDs. The Marines seem to focus much more on marksmanship at a tradition KD range, but not so much stuff centered around what combat is perceived to be like, rightly or wrongly. Both have their pros and cons, I just didn't realize the vast difference between the two services. I wish the Army would focus on marksmanship more, though. Hell, firearms training in general was severely lacking and decades behind the times when I got out 2 years ago, and that was after changing qual from fox hole to kneeling based stuff.

The Marine Corps spends allot of time on Marksmanship, 6 days snapping in and then 4-5 days actually on the range qualifying on the last day. Then after boot camp at MCT we worked on combat situations and learn about the other weapons the Marine Corps uses and that was a 3 week school.