ak gear accessories. where to buy??

Guest 1817ak47

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1817ak47
What sort of stuff are you looking for? Chest rig-type gear or weapon accessory-type gear?

weapon asseccory, soon want a front had grip(vertical one) and possibly some other gooodies, seems like there is alot for ak when you look a little bit.

Guest Paulie771

Kvar has the mil-spec stuff from the commie states. Tapco makes some OK stuff and their G2 trigger kit is probably the best on the market. Lots of companies make stocks and grips and forends and brakes and sights and....well....AKs are the new ARs when it comes to that stuff.

You can get an AR grip adapter from ACE, then use any standard AR grip. Ergo and Hogue both make AK specific grips now.

TAPCO has several flavors of forends. I prefer the commie speced ones, but I also use an Ultimak gas tube, which is a 1913 spec and allows the use of optics such as Aimpoint ML2s and t-1s. Their mags are crap. Don't buy them. The locking tab breaks very, very easily. They also make a M4 clone collapsible stock that isn't half bad.

Midwest makes a railed forend now. I prefer to just add a piece of picatinny to my standard hand guard and not deal with all that unused weight on the front of the rifle.

XS and Tech sights both make sights for AKs. I prefer the big dots.

PWS makes a brake/flashhider, the PWS47, that is the f'n HEAT for recoil reduction.

ACE also makes folding stocks for AKs now. I prefer the AK100 series solid folding stock that comes on the SLR 106/7 from Arsenal, but buying one to add to a rifle is nigh impossible now. Hell, just finding a trunnion is impossible now. It looks and feels like a standard AK stock, but folds to the left for transport/storage.

Foregrips are dicey with AKs because of how you have to rock the mag in to lock it. A lot of grips get in the way. You can try a Tango Down stubby, wait for Magpul's new MOE RVG and cut it off or try their AFG, which won't get in the way.

Use commie ammo in commie guns. Bulgarian waffles are the best mags made for the AK, but they're harder and harder to find. Commie mil-spec metal mags are a good alternate choice. I have no experience with the new US Palm stuff, but I hear good things.

OSOE 1 or 2 point slings are the best slings made in my opinion. OSOE also makes almost all of their gear to work with AKs. I prefer their Micro Rig.

Hope I answered everything for you and gave you some leads.

Edited by Paulie771
over comma usage, comma splicing

Aimsurplus for mags and ammo.

Carolina shooter supply is good for accessories.

Ken Arnold in hendersonville tn is good for accessories too, and he is always at the gun shows here, I don't know about there.

You can usually find decent stuff in the classifieds at the S12 forums and the AK Files forum.

I got a UTG quadrail handguard for the front of a Saiga. You could mount a grip and a red dot with it. It cost about $85.

I second paulie on the manufacturers. Commie mags and ammo is all a AK really "needs".

Guest Paulie771

I would avoid UTG. It's good for range plinking, but do a 4 mag bounding drill or more and it will melt. Seen it happen. I wouldn't skimp on important stuff like where my hand will go if the rifle is hot. If you don't plan on taking a class or popping blue helmets with it, then rock on with the UTG stuff, just remember it's priced low for a reason.

Ammuntiontogo is good for ammo as well as AIM.

Copes is good for mags and commie surplus stuff.

J&T/Doublestar own ACE, so if they're at a gun show, you can probably get any ACE gear from them.

Edited by Paulie771
Guest Paulie771
What melted on the UTG? The rail covers? Surely you don't mean the aluminum handguard.

No, I'm sorry, I saw their polymer rail system melt at the front and rear where it was held in. My mistake.

ETA: Come to think of it, it was a CAA polymer handguard, not UTG.

Edited by Paulie771
Guest 1817ak47

mine has a utg quad rail, but I believe it is all alluminum, though I didn't install it so I don't know if it is plastic or not.

if anyone has some yugo ak mags, I would be willing to buy a few, they hold the bolt open when empty