Wife needs advice

So my wife is going to get her HCP and we are trying to figure out the logistics of her being able to defend herself while dealing with our wonderful young children.

She has a KHAR CW-9 debating on a belly band or ankle holster.....

I personaly think that the worst time (hense most likely in my mind) to need it would be getting them all in and out of the car....

Any idea's or good threads or heck even a good ladies tactical/practical classes out there (she dosnt really need to know how to clear a house room by room or how to check for booby traps out in the jungle)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on how she dresses or if she is willing to change the way she dresses to accommodate carry, I would think that IWB at approx 2:00 or 4:00 strongside would work good for that.

a shoulder holster or an underarmour holster shirt could work too

I dont like ankle holsters except for a BUG or a second BUG

Guest Bronker
So my wife is going to get her HCP and we are trying to figure out the logistics of her being able to defend herself while dealing with our wonderful young children.

She has a KHAR CW-9 debating on a belly band or ankle holster.....

I personaly think that the worst time (hense most likely in my mind) to need it would be getting them all in and out of the car....

Any idea's or good threads or heck even a good ladies tactical/practical classes out there (she dosnt really need to know how to clear a house room by room or how to check for booby traps out in the jungle)

Cornered Cat is full of ladies-oriented gun info.

My wife carries her Kahr PM9 in a Galco Sto-N-Go leather holster at 2:00

She and I both took the CIS Advanced Concealed Carry class, and are taking it again on March 14, 2010. It's listed here in the vendors forum. I highly recommend this class, and my wife LOVED it!

Guest Catdaddy

At Keltec Owners Group site, they talk about using a fanny-pack type case made for cd players- cheap at Wally World, and can be worn front or back. Doesn't even resemble a holster.

In my wife's case, concealment is critical. I found a similar flat nylon fanny pack- very compact- on a wide comfy belt at the Army surplus store. She can wear it on the front with her utility knife in a magpouch at work and no one knows there is a pistol in the inner compartment. Or she can wear it in the small of her back under almost any clothing. Under 20 bucks.

It has two zippers, so several ways to zip it shut can be used, and a bead and loop attached to the zipper tongues make rapid opening easy.

While all good ideas in themselves. My wife is a little dainty person who just about always wears scrubs or dresses or tight Jeans (god bless the tight jeans :koolaid:)... (not sure if she even owns a truly functional belt).

I was thinking a belly band might be best for her. I'm not big on the ankle holster myself. I really want to find a great womens tactical class for her but I want it to be more real world and every day life stuff as opposed to cover fire while flanking a fixed position :popcorn:

Guest Straight Shooter

Thunder Ranch has a two hour video just especially for women on this very subject. It was produced by Heidi Smith, in conjunction with Clint Smith her husband. I just saw an ad for it for I THINK $29.95. While Ive not seen this particular DVD, I GUARANTEE YOU it will be about what your looking for. Everything from Thunder Ranch and Clint Smith is top notch. Hope this helps RobD.

Thunder Ranch has a two hour video just especially for women on this very subject. It was produced by Heidi Smith, in conjunction with Clint Smith her husband. I just saw an ad for it for I THINK $29.95. While Ive not seen this particular DVD, I GUARANTEE YOU it will be about what your looking for. Everything from Thunder Ranch and Clint Smith is top notch. Hope this helps RobD.

thanks I went to thier website and it just gives a view of the box I'll give this a try.

Anyone know if there is a local instructor/school/store that offers practical carry for ladies?

Cornered Cat is full of ladies-oriented gun info.

My wife carries her Kahr PM9 in a Galco Sto-N-Go leather holster at 2:00

She and I both took the CIS Advanced Concealed Carry class, and are taking it again on March 14, 2010. It's listed here in the vendors forum. I highly recommend this class, and my wife LOVED it!

It was a good class. Todd and Dustin cover the various carry options for men and women, and advantages/disadvantages of each. Not to mention they cover real life type scenarios such as having to shoot while protecting loved ones (one handed shooting).

It was a good class. Todd and Dustin cover the various carry options for men and women, and advantages/disadvantages of each. Not to mention they cover real life type scenarios such as having to shoot while protecting loved ones (one handed shooting).

I want to get her (and me :up:) signed up for this. I think she has to have her HCP first though.

Guest mustangdave

No one has mentioned a PURSE...does your wife carry a purse? I got my wife a CC purse for christmas a couple years back...very stylish...very STEALTHY...her Bersa 380CC fits nicely as does the Ruger SP-101...she also has a Kel-Tec P3-AT in a pocket holster....paddle holster for the Bersa....and a OWB for the Ruger. I think you'll find that one size DOES NOT fit all...she'll want OPTIONS

+1 on the Kornered Cat sight. Lot's of good info there. You also might ask this in the ladies section and get some good info there.

Although something is better than nothing I don't like the purse idea as they constantly get set down and sometimes forgotten.

The smart carry actually works pretty well with scrubs and other sweat type clothing.

I have a feeling your wife will end up with a couple of different options and rotate as the situation demands at that given moment.

Mark

Be thankful your wife is taking steps to protect herself and your children. My wife is a recovering liberal who grew up with no guns in the home. She has grown comfortable with me carrying but she initially would really freak out about a secured and/or holsterd gun being anywhere near our son. It took her a while to understand that it isn't a bomb and it's not going to spontaniously explode or fly from a secured holster and spray lead all over a room. I've explained it is like a car in that it's just as dangerous as the person who controls it. The more she learns about gun safety the less she is afraid. However, she is still afraid to touch an unloaded handgun even if I hand it to her pointing out an emtpy chamber and no magazine. On the other hand, when she thinks we're in a dangerous neighborhood, however, she'll ask me if I'm carrying. She has asked me if I will begin to carry while hiking when the new national park law goes into effect later this month. I think this was prompted by several people we know telling us about seeing packs of coyotes while hiking and mountain biking in East Tennessee. Shes heard stories of them attacking children. I told her that I'm definitely more worried about 2 legged threats. However, if a formerly anti-gun person is encouraging me to do whatever I can legally and responsibly to protect our family I'm all for it.

I'm sure your wife will figure out a safe holster setup that will work for her. Our son loves to dig in his Mom's purse so I'd be wary of purse carry.

I thought about the purse thing, and my biggest problem with a purse and children is two fold. the kids like to dig, and if someone comes out of the blue and grabs her purse now they have her gun too.....

Got my wife one for Christmas, ( I know she needs to carry on her person, thats the next step, can't push) it has a lockable zippered compartment for the gun with a built in holster, solid leather, she loves it. She says its a great purse even if it didn't have a holster in it. You know what that means, she's all ready picked out a black model, just in case I "want" to get her another one.:D

Guest Bronker
I want to get her (and me :D) signed up for this. I think she has to have her HCP first though.

I've seen Todd say that she would have only had to have TAKEN the HCP class, and not necessarily have the HCP in hand. Has she taken the class? She would have plenty of time to take the HCP before March 14th.

Guest rockbottom12

my fiance carries a fannypack across her shoulder. an across the shoulder bag or fanny pack that stays on her wont be an issues for a grab and run, they want something that is an easy target. the closer to the body the bag is the harder a target they are. then you have one specific section for the gun. you just have to teach kids to leave purse alone, and have a place to keep purse when at the house or whatever where they cannot get to it.