Oh happy day!!! The wife wants to get her permit!!! Need help!

Guest Sgt. Joe
Then your instructor wasn't following the state guidelines. The prescribed distances are 12 shots at 3 yards, 12 shots at 7 yards, 12 shots at 15 yards and 12 shots at a distance of their choosing.

That is how my class was also, but someone told me that the instructor can not require anything farther than the 15 yards? It makes sense but I dont really know.

Our instructor had it set so that you could miss all the 12 of the 15 yard shots and still pass. IIRC one can miss 15 of 48 and still pass. And also you are given two chances to shoot before you would actually fail.

Even with it set up that easy we had 4 of 13 need to re-shoot and one of those still failed...???

Also our instructor said anything in the black of the silhouette counted as a hit, but since then someone else told me shots were supposed to be within the large circle. Again I have no idea which is correct.

In our class notes were allowed to be taken during class and used during the written test.

All in all it is pretty easy and with any practice at all OP's wife should have no problem, I also keep both eyes open unless shooting out 20 yards or longer.

Now if I could just get my wife nudged a bit more into taking her class, She says that she use to shoot her first hubby's 9 mil and could out shoot him. He was a TN Wildlife Officer. She claims she will out shoot me also, I wish she would come on with it and prove it, but so far not even a trip to the range.....baby steps, baby steps.

CONGRATS TOBASHADOW!....I can only imagine how happy you are that she now is ready.:)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then your instructor wasn't following the state guidelines. The prescribed distances are 12 shots at 3 yards, 12 shots at 7 yards, 12 shots at 15 yards and 12 shots at a distance of their choosing.

Also if he is incorrect how did I get a permit? :rolleyes:

That is how my class was also, but someone told me that the instructor can not require anything farther than the 15 yards? It makes sense but I dont really know.

Our instructor had it set so that you could miss all the 12 of the 15 yard shots and still pass. IIRC one can miss 15 of 48 and still pass. And also you are given two chances to shoot before you would actually fail.

Even with it set up that easy we had 4 of 13 need to re-shoot and one of those still failed...???

Also our instructor said anything in the black of the silhouette counted as a hit, but since then someone else told me shots were supposed to be within the large circle. Again I have no idea which is correct.

In our class notes were allowed to be taken during class and used during the written test.

All in all it is pretty easy and with any practice at all OP's wife should have no problem, I also keep both eyes open unless shooting out 20 yards or longer.

Now if I could just get my wife nudged a bit more into taking her class, She says that she use to shoot her first hubby's 9 mil and could out shoot him. He was a TN Wildlife Officer. She claims she will out shoot me also, I wish she would come on with it and prove it, but so far not even a trip to the range.....baby steps, baby steps.

CONGRATS TOBASHADOW!....I can only imagine how happy you are that she now is ready.:rolleyes:

According to our instructor Phantom 6 he said anything inside the nines on the silhouette counted. Anything outside the 9 black or not did not count.

When my wife took her class, I found out the class' exact method of their shooting test, size of target, number of shots at what distance, what constituted a counted shot. Then I made several targets just like they use, and we took them to the range and did the same drill they would use. We practiced until she was certain she could pass, which was pretty easy by the way.

At the test, the requirement was any hole in an IDPA target counted. She got 100%.