Oh happy day!!! The wife wants to get her permit!!! Need help!

Finally my wife decided flat out she wants to take the class and get her permit because a cousin of mine decided she is getting her's and i guess that's all it took her to finally decide.

I did not pressure for her to do it and was totally her idea this time so im proud.

Two things i need help on tho.

Where can i find a good study guide for the test online for her with examples so i can work with her? It's been too long for me to accurately guess the questions.

Second is a much larger problem!

She is one of the people that has the rare issue of not being able to close one eye at a time. I taught her to point shoot which is fine for self defense short range and she does great with it. But what about in the shooting test? The carry weapon she has picked out is getting a laser so no issue there.

I can't let her not being able to use sights hold her back from defending herself and the kids when im at work or not with them.

Edited by Tobashadow
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of a study guide for the HCP test. Everything she needs to know should be covered in the class.

The shooting test isn't overly difficult. If she can put her shots into a life sized silhouette target at about 15 yards, she should be able to pass it. I don't have the state required number or shots at specific distances handy, but its not terribly difficult, even point shooting.

If she can't put most of her shots into a silhouette target at 15 yards, she needs to practice more before carrying. :D

Don't worry about it. Pick a class, sign up, and then wait for the permit in the mail.

Just out of curiosity, what made her decide to get her permit?

Guest jackdm3

I can't imagine not being able to close just one eye. She'll be able to test with her weapon and she can qualify with it, too. But what's she gonna do when the laser goes out or it's a very sunny day and no laser is useful?

Finally my wife decided flat out she wants to take the class and get her permit because a cousin of mine decided she is getting her's and i guess that's all it took her to finally decide.

I did not pressure for her to do it and was totally her idea this time so im proud.

Where can i find a good study guide for the test online for her with examples so i can work with her? It's been too long for me to accurately guess the questions.

She is one of the people that has the rare issue of not being able to close one eye at a time. I taught her to point shoot which is fine for self defense short range and she does great with it. But what about in the shooting test? The carry weapon she has picked out is getting a laser so no issue there.

I can't let her not being able to use sights hold her back from defending herself and the kids when im at work or not with them.

The class is a piece of cake and so is qualifying.

As for shooting a pistol with one eye closed....um, why?

I can't imagine not being able to close just one eye. She'll be able to test with her weapon and she can qualify with it, too. But what's she gonna do when the laser goes out or it's a very sunny day and no laser is useful?

That's why i taught her to depend on instinct point shooting which in a shtf your going to be doing more likely anyways. In my book if you are far enough out to need the sights on a handgun to hit target then take cover or get the &$^# out of there if you can.

She is taught ignore the head and legs and arms and go center chest nothing more.

Once she learned that she was able to hit it, but shes a bit out of practice now tho i bet.

The laser is more to keep her happy :cheers:.

Chilhowee Rod & Gun Club

I'd be glad to sponsor you. One membership does it for both spouses. It's not free, but it is cheap.

After reading up on that it looks perfect and i would be very grateful for the sponsorship.

And i need to get out of the house a lot more after my surgery anyways.

How far away from athens is it?

And i noticed they at one time did the class too. So is that still a option?

I don't close one eye to use my sights. In fact, I shoot better with both eyes open while aligning the front and rear sights. I do close one eye with a rifle or scope. Both eyes open when shooting my bow.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it works for me. I don't see why she couldn't still use the sights with both eyes open. Which eye is her dominant eye?

Congrats BTW, I'm still hoping my wife will develop an interest in getting her HCP.

Edited by Batman
I don't close one eye to use my sights. In fact, I shoot better with both eyes open while aligning the front and rear sights. I do close one eye with a rifle or scope. Both eyes open when shooting my bow.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it works for me. I don't see why she couldn't still use the sights with both eyes open. Does she have a dominant eye?

That's why i asked for a range.

Go there when its a bit quiet just me and her if i can and let her practice till i run out of ammo.

I figure my cheapy 22 pistol and a brick or two of ammo and id work it out. :koolaid:

Then when comfortable again work up to the more expensive but her carry size ammo.

Edited by Tobashadow
After reading up on that it looks perfect and i would be very grateful for the sponsorship.

And i need to get out of the house a lot more after my surgery anyways.

How far away from athens is it?

And i noticed they at one time did the class too. So is that still a option?

PM sent

If she can listen to the instructor and comprehend the written test is a breeze. The distances and number of rds at each distance that we shot in my class was 24 rds at 9 ft., 12 rds at 21ft and 12 rds at 45ft.

Let her practice at 45ft since that is the longest shot. If she can hit at that range the shorter ones should be easy. Remember she only has to hit the silhouette. A hit in the arm counts as much as a center mass shot while qualifying.

That's why i asked for a range.

Go there when its a bit quiet just me and her if i can and let her practice till i run out of ammo.

I figure my cheapy 22 pistol and a brick or two of ammo and id work it out. :koolaid:

Then when comfortable again work up to the more expensive but her carry size ammo.

That's a great idea taking a .22 and getting some quality practice. That way even if she normally uses a laser, she will still have the confidence to shoot with sights.

I think she'll probably do just fine with the open sights keeping both eyes open. It just takes a little bit of practice to be able to focus on the front sight without closing one eye, but the sight picture with the dominant eye is the same. I find that I have better situational awareness that way. Now, if it's a longer shot, I may close one eye.

And does anyone know where i can take her to practice before the test and atleast once or twice a year cheaply or free near sweetwater or athens?

I am by far not rich so free is much much better.

I have heard about an indoor range in Charleston near Bow Water ~30min South of Athens. I don't know if that's too far away, but rumor has it that they charge $5 for half an hour with no (or minimal) yearly membership. I have planned to visit there myself, but I haven't yet. I can't confirm those details or anything else about it, but that is what I have been told by a friend.

Anyone else know about this range? It's pretty close to me, so I need to at least check it out one of these days.

Edited by Batman
I have heard about an indoor range in Charleston near Bow Water ~30min South of Athens. I don't know if that's too far away, but rumor has it that they charge $5 for half an hour with no (or minimal) yearly membership. I have planned to visit there myself, but I haven't yet. I can't confirm those details or anything else about it, but that is what I have been told by a friend.

Anyone else know about this range? It's pretty close to me, so I need to at least check it out one of these days.

Yes, thats Fugets. you can pay 5.00 for 1/2 hr or pay 100. per year.

No where online can you find a study guide that I have found. Dude they let you use the book. They will help her in the class if she needs help with being cross dominant or not cross dominant and they will explain it all. I recommend if you can to find a class like the one at Austin's TN Firearms in Oak Ridge where they offer the NRA basic pistol practicum and test along with the state written and shooting test. The NRA Basic Pistol Practicum will teach her everything she needs to know from shooting positions like Weaver, etc to how to load and clean a firearm. All this will help her immensely when it comes time to shoot in the class. Granted the NRA Basic pistol practicum plus the state test class is more but you learn everything you need to know for the state test and it would be great for beginners.

Edited by Alpha7
Guest HexHead

Before my wife took her class, we went to the range about once a week for a month or so and she practiced at the different required distances. She also got accustomed to loading and handling the gun so when she took the class she was familiar and confident with it and only had one shot off the silhouette at 45'.

No reason for her to close one eye. She should train with both eyes open.

Before my wife took her class, we went to the range about once a week for a month or so and she practiced at the different required distances. She also got accustomed to loading and handling the gun so when she took the class she was familiar and confident with it and only had one shot off the silhouette at 45'.

No reason for her to close one eye. She should train with both eyes open.

45'

What were yall qualifying for IDPA? For my hcp I think the farthest we did was 25'

Guest HexHead
45'

What were yall qualifying for IDPA? For my hcp I think the farthest we did was 25'

Then your instructor wasn't following the state guidelines. The prescribed distances are 12 shots at 3 yards, 12 shots at 7 yards, 12 shots at 15 yards and 12 shots at a distance of their choosing.

Then your instructor wasn't following the state guidelines. The prescribed distances are 12 shots at 3 yards, 12 shots at 7 yards, 12 shots at 15 yards and 12 shots at a distance of their choosing.

we did 12 at three 12 at 7 12 at 15 and 12 at 25.

I found a website from florida that had lots of practice material. Granted it is for Florida, you just have to drop the legal stuff and read the core infromation. There are 5 lessons and I printed it off for my wife to study with lots of Tn. legal stuff from here and the net. We went to the range for about 300 rounds the month before her class and she aced it all. 96% on the range. She said the study material for very helpful.

www.flccw.com

Hope this helps